Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schwarzenegger admits to admiring Hitler’s speaking skills in new memoir

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
  • 205 Replies

Arnold Schwarzenegger has long combated rumors alleging that he praised Adolf Hitler. Inhis new autobiography, "Total Recall," the former California governor admits to praising the Nazi leaders speaking style but says he always opposed Hitler's policies.

"I philosophized that only a few men are born to lead, while the rest of humanity is born to follow, and went from that into discussing history's great conquerors and dictators," Schwarzenegger writes in his book. "I admired Hitler's speaking ability, though not what he did with it."

Speculation and criticism over Schwarzenegger's 1977 seminal bodybuilding film, "Pumping Iron." The Hitler exchange was ultimately edited out of the film by director George Butler. While acknowledging the exchange, Schwarzenegger says it was essentially a ruse often employed by the actor, 65, to draw attention to himself.

"Coming up with outrageous things to say was easy because I was always thinking them to keep myself entertained," he writes in Total Recall.

Nonetheless, the Schwarzenegger camp takes issue with the way the quote has been framed by theNew York Daily News, in a story titled "Arnold Schwarzenegger admits he once expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler after publicly denying it for years."

"This is a totally misleading and irresponsible headline," Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Ashley Robinson said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "The governor wrote about something he said over 30 years ago that was reported countless times during his election for governor, that he had strong oratory skills that were abused for power. The headline is a shameless, reprehensible attempt by a tabloid to get attention and web traffic."

During Schwarzenegger's first run for governor of California in 2003, Butler quoted the actor in a book proposal, citing a transcript from "Pumping Iron," during which he asked Schwarzenegger to list his heroes.

"I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power," Schwarzenegger reportedly said at the time.

However, the Schwarzenegger election campaign pointed out in 2003 that the full transcript of Schwarzenegger's quote shows he clearly distanced himself from any alleged "admiration" of the Nazi dictator.

"Yes, in Germany they used power and authority but it was used in the wrong way," Schwarzenegger said, according to Butler. "But it was misused on the power. First, it started having, I mean, getting Germany out of the great recession and having everybody jobs and so on and then it was just misused. And they said, let's take this country, and so on. That's bad."

Schwarzenegger has been actively involved with pro-Jewish and pro-Israel groups over the years, including the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/schwarzenegger-admits-expressing-admiration-hitler-memoir-190128101.html

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM
22 moms liked this
Hitler was one of the greatest public speakers of all time. His direction was his downfall. I agree with Arnold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Hitler's voice, posture and words were NOT characteristic of a "great speaker". I don't know how the German people could stand listening to him. I have heard him.He was insanely corrupt and his voice reflected it.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
6 moms liked this
The man got an entire country and numerous others to follow him blindly and commit attrocious acts based souly on his words.
if that's not a great speaker, what is?

Quoting lga1965:

Hitler's voice, posture and words were NOT characteristic of a "great speaker". I don't know how the German people could stand listening to him. I have heard him.He was insanely corrupt and his voice reflected it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM
4 moms liked this

I have to agree with this.  Just because he was a horrible human being doesn't mean he wasn't a great speaker. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Hitler was one of the greatest public speakers of all time. His direction was his downfall. I agree with Arnold.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM
5 moms liked this

Truth be told, Hitler was one of the best speakers ever.  He had endless charisma, and could control the mood of a crowd with a few words.  In fact a lot of teachers in higher level public speaking and debate courses pull their material from Hitler, specially during lessons that focus on persuasive arguments and speeches. 

I will even say that while I hate him, and hate the evils he brought to this earth...I am in awe of his abilities as a speaker.  

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not that hard.  Look at the hatred towards Muslims today.  People use the current climate (violence in countries with large Islamic populations, post 9-11...etc) to justify hatred against them, and even use it to back up ideas like kicking out all Muslims from teh U.S..  When Hitler started, Germany was in a bad economic state.  He saw that people were looking for someone/thing to blame, and he pointed (primarily) to the Jews.  And it grew from there.  
    In general, there were many Germans who of COURSE did not agree.  But at the time, those in power did.  Many were afraid.  Of course his voice reflected corruption...but the environment was ripe for what happened.  Today we blame Muslims, atheists, poor people, and any other group that is "undesirable"  for the bad things happening in our nation.  We're lucky to have the constitution, and constant scrutiny of 24 hour media to prevent the things Hitler did...but that does not stop people in power from attacking these groups in any way they can.  All it takes is a charismatic speaker, with a lot of influence...and a volatile environment.  Hitler was really a catalyst, if you look at it.

At the risk of sounding like a total nerd, I want to refer to the first time Harry Potter meets Olivander to get his magic wand.  Upon receiving his wand, he finds out the wand's twin belongs to Voldemort.  

Olivander says something along the lines of how they could expect great things from Harry, as Voldemort did great things.  Terrible, yes, but great.

I think, in a way, it is the same.  Hitler did great things, as in large and influential.  But also horrible.  Regardless of his atrocities, he remains the most persuasive speaker in history, or so I think. 

Quoting lga1965:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:47 PM
2 moms liked this

No, that is not the main reason they turned a blind eye and deaf ear to the concentraion camps. Have you been to Germany, or even Europe? Talked with Germans? If you did you wouldn't be saying what you are.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM
They are people trained in those techniques who teach the presidents when addressing the nation. Watch any footage of recent presidents, spacifically their hands.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Truth be told, Hitler was one of the best speakers ever.  He had endless charisma, and could control the mood of a crowd with a few words.  In fact a lot of teachers in higher level public speaking and debate courses pull their material from Hitler, specially during lessons that focus on persuasive arguments and speeches. 

I will even say that while I hate him, and hate the evils he brought to this earth...I am in awe of his abilities as a speaker.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously?  He was charasmatic, he actually had great posture.  He did not coware when he spoke.  You also have to remember, not everyone can make those detection in voice.  Many, many people hide their corruption beneath charisma and are very good at it.

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured