Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Schwarzenegger admits to admiring Hitler’s speaking skills in new memoir

Posted by   + Show Post

Arnold Schwarzenegger has long combated rumors alleging that he praised Adolf Hitler. Inhis new autobiography, "Total Recall," the former California governor admits to praising the Nazi leaders speaking style but says he always opposed Hitler's policies.

"I philosophized that only a few men are born to lead, while the rest of humanity is born to follow, and went from that into discussing history's great conquerors and dictators," Schwarzenegger writes in his book. "I admired Hitler's speaking ability, though not what he did with it."

Speculation and criticism over Schwarzenegger's 1977 seminal bodybuilding film, "Pumping Iron." The Hitler exchange was ultimately edited out of the film by director George Butler. While acknowledging the exchange, Schwarzenegger says it was essentially a ruse often employed by the actor, 65, to draw attention to himself.

"Coming up with outrageous things to say was easy because I was always thinking them to keep myself entertained," he writes in Total Recall.

Nonetheless, the Schwarzenegger camp takes issue with the way the quote has been framed by theNew York Daily News, in a story titled "Arnold Schwarzenegger admits he once expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler after publicly denying it for years."

"This is a totally misleading and irresponsible headline," Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Ashley Robinson said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "The governor wrote about something he said over 30 years ago that was reported countless times during his election for governor, that he had strong oratory skills that were abused for power. The headline is a shameless, reprehensible attempt by a tabloid to get attention and web traffic."

During Schwarzenegger's first run for governor of California in 2003, Butler quoted the actor in a book proposal, citing a transcript from "Pumping Iron," during which he asked Schwarzenegger to list his heroes.

"I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power," Schwarzenegger reportedly said at the time.

However, the Schwarzenegger election campaign pointed out in 2003 that the full transcript of Schwarzenegger's quote shows he clearly distanced himself from any alleged "admiration" of the Nazi dictator.

"Yes, in Germany they used power and authority but it was used in the wrong way," Schwarzenegger said, according to Butler. "But it was misused on the power. First, it started having, I mean, getting Germany out of the great recession and having everybody jobs and so on and then it was just misused. And they said, let's take this country, and so on. That's bad."

Schwarzenegger has been actively involved with pro-Jewish and pro-Israel groups over the years, including the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/schwarzenegger-admits-expressing-admiration-hitler-memoir-190128101.html

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Replies (201-205):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Ok well then let me ask you this. Where is your defense for those suffering from genocide now and in the time you've been alive? I think I asked this before and didn't get an answer, since you continue to evade pretty much every question I ask, including the part where I asked you why he hated the Jews, not the other way around. Where were youfor the rise of power of people who lead the genocides in the Sudan, rawanda, Vietnam, the middle east..... It keeps happening. So is the world comprised of nothing but cowards? What are you personally doing to help these people? It's the exact same thing. People being persecuted for color or creed. We know about. What do you suggest we all do? Again as ordinary people since that is the group of people we are talking about. What about the Asian camps we made right here in the us at the EXACT same time as the holocaust? Do you think that had anything to do with how we viewed the German camps? What about the communist scare? Deporting and jailing innocent people for possible.political belief? How about the witch trials? The massacres of natives? Etc. Not to downplay the holocaust but clearly nobody has learned anything. And by your account we are all a bunch of cowardly heartless people. Or you could take it for what it is, sometimes there just really is nothing you can do as a citizen. Knowledge or not.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

I'm just saying if you're going to blame the German people, again not the Nazi Germans, just everyday citizens, and say they shouldn't have elected Hitler or let him rise to power, that they should have known, then you might as well blame the Jewish people too. It's not like the Germans had more info than the Jews, who were also German mind you. So if all the German people knew he was evil when elected, and he was so anti semetic even before that, and he was blatant about his plans, why didn't anybody stop him? Jews included? Oh yea because for the billionth time it wasn't that obvious and by the time anyone realized, there was nothing to be done. You've got nothing, because it all ends up being the same point. Hitler fooled everyone. He really was a great speaker.

Quoting romalove:

Yea, it was the Jew's own fault.

As long as we assign no responsibility to the poor blameless Germans.

Are you sure you want to keep spinning this thread some more?

You are just so informative ...and interesting ...and lovely....

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Lmfao once again you can't answer the question. BTW ciao is an Italian word, which was also over run with nazis. Actually the leader of Italy was pursuaded to hitlers way of thinking. You wanna try and tell me again how he didn't do that, a bunch ignorant Italians and Germans just let him do what he wanted? Because I don't care how far off topic we get I can talk about this for years. But to bring it full circle to your original point, Hitler was a charismatic speaker that bent the will of people to think things they never would have. So blame Hitler. Not the German people, or you might as well lump the Jews in on their own blame, since you expected the Germans to not let Hitler rise, but the Jews let him too. And you still have no answer as to how that happened. Oh yea, because he was one hell of a speaker.

Quoting romalove:

If I were you I wouldn't be calling anybody else stupid.

You are wrong regarding time frame and who knew what when.

It is difficult to have a debate with someone as repugnant as you are.

Ciao!

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Omg you are so stupid. Just to be clear. Germans new. The rest of the world had no idea what was actually going down. The problem was that the Germans who knew couldn't do anything about it. And as you've shown time and time again you can't come up with a better solution for what they should have done. Guess that makes you a coward too. As far as doing the right thing let me ask you this. For almost 20 years Hitler was in power before he started to move and exterminate people. So if it was all that clear what his intentions were for 20 years, why didn't the millions of Jews do anything about it? Oh yea because by the time anyone knew about his real intentions it was too late.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

And they didnt, and since you can't come up with a better choice than keep your head down and do nothing, you must agree. So hahaha sucks to be you. Check your history next time you want to argue history. Have a great day :-)

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Don't be pissy just because you're wrong. It's not very becoming.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

You just proved my point. You don't have an answer. Because all I have said is the only answer. You would have kept your head down and done nothing. No great uprisal. No great rebellion. No great escape. You would have done exactly what they had the power to do. Nothing. I'm done with you.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Because they are true and if you took 30 seconds to actually listen to what I'm saying and think of what you would do in their position you would see why it makes sense. So again. Hypothetically if that makes you feel better, what would you do once you realised a monster ran your country? Given everything you know to be true about the way Hitler handled those who opposed him.

Quoting romalove:

Why do I have to presuppose your particular set of facts?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

No you didn't. Probably because you don't have a good answer. But ill ask it again anyway.

For the sake of the argument, Hitler influenced these people. At least a third. Then at some point they realised he wasn't what they thought. What would you have had them do? You keep saying they should have some better, they all knew and didn't do anything, they didn't want to be bothered. Ok, in this scenario they want to do something. People are being shot in the streets and there's talk of the concentration camps being used as kill camps. They didn't just take the Jews to work anymore. Now everyone is in danger. What would you do?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Still evading the question.....

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Of course there was, because of Hitler. When you see a Jew hating skinhead who is usually associated? Hitler. He made hating Jews a very real thing and not just some tasteless joke over beers. If you don't take his power of speech and persuasion as a very real thing then clearly you are lost. There are people that work in the white house today who train Obama how to speak. How to inflection his voice. How to move his hands. All done with studies containing major influences in how Hitler used to address his country. So far the sake of the argument, Hitler influenced these people. At least a third. Then at some point they realised he wasn't what they thought. What would you have had them do? You keep saying they should have some better, they all knew and didn't do anything, they didn't want to be bothered. Ok, in this scenario they want to do something. People are being shot in the streets and there's talk of the concentration camps being used as kill camps. They didn't just take the Jews to work anymore. Now everyone is in danger. What would you do?

I actually read Shirer's book, but I read it sooo long ago.  I think it was like 30 years ago.  Anyway, this piece sort of says what Shirer says, but because it is lacking the context that Shirer placed the information, it isn't completely accurate in determining what Germans were thinking or feeling at the time.

I'm gonna go with those figures though.  A third or more of the populace was willing to elect Hitler. 

We can look backwards and say that the treaties that were rendered after WWI, which left Germany in such poor shape both economically and emotionally, should not have been crafted as they were, as it allowed the rise of someone to "rescue" the Germans and their national pride, even at the expense of a population of their citizenry. 

We can say lots of things.  When you ask "what should the Germans have done", you are claiming that they couldn't do anything.  Do you also claim that there wasn't a lot of anti-Semitism in Germany?  I know for sure that there was anti-Semitism all over Europe.  There were pogroms, Jews were ghettoised, they were chased from country to country. 

There is a reason that Hitler could get away with what he did in Germany.

OK, I have to stop you right here.

Hitler did NOT make hating Jews "a very real thing and not some tasteless joke over beers".  There was very real hatred of Jews, not just in Germany, but all over Europe, and not for a short period of time, but FOREVER.

I answered your question.  Your biases are showing.

My original statement that you found highly offensive was that there were Germans (and others around the world) who knew what was happening and did nothing.

We are now far afield where the discussion isn't if that statement is true or not (after you cursed me, called me stupid and a liar) but to "what should those have known done" to prove to me that they couldn't do anything.

Now, that may be true and it may not be true.  I'm not a German in Germany in the 1930's.  I'm not living under a terrifying dictatorship.  I don't really have an answer. 

I don't think it matters, though, in terms of what I originally said.  Some people wanted to help Jews and did, hiding them, taking them into their families, or helping them escape.  Others turned those people in for rewards and helped destroy Jews.  Some people weren't anti-Semitic, but there were a whole bunch others that were. 

Saying that there were Germans (and others) who knew what was happening and did nothing, or acknowledging that there were people in Germany and Europe who agreed with Hitler is not an indictment of all Germans.  It's what it is.

Nah, I don't think I would be a good German.

And I'm happy if you're done with me.  You're pretty nasty to debate with.

And, you were wrong to boot.  What I said was correct.  All you did was prove that what I said was correct but maybe with a reason.

Have as nice a day as your nasty disposition will allow.

Silly girl, you proved me correct.

What you tried to show is that they had no choice.

Maybe, maybe not.

There are always those who will not stand by and let others do evil.

I thought you were done with me?

Good grief I certainly hope so!

I guess you don't even know the meaning of being done with me, lol.

I know my history.

And I know people who are all bent out of shape over nothing because they want to think their people did the right thing when they didn't.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

People who keep their head down and do nothing in the face of great evil are called cowards where I come from.

You still want to argue they didn't know?  Or do you want to argue they knew and couldn't fix it?

Pick a side, please.

Please stop spewing bullshit.

It wasn't obvious???  Anyone with connected brain cells knew Hitler was blaming Jews for the problems that Germans were having.

Jews were TERRIFIED and many of them did try to leave, some of them did.  Some of them hid.  It isn't as simple as how you're portraying things.

You have been attacking me for TWO DAYS because I said that many Germans and people around the world including America KNEW what Hitler was up to.  THEY DID.  I didn't differentiate between in-their-heart Nazis and everyday non-political Germans.

You are beyond the pale ridiculous, and furthermore, wrong in your assumptions.  Before the camps, there were pogroms, all kinds of anti-Jewish laws, and Hitler made it clear that Jews were not going to stay in Germany, or in any place Germany conquered.  Whether they would be relocated to vacation palaces or burned to death in crematories, to act as if nobody knew that Hitler had a hard-on for Jews is pure insanity.

Let's pretend we're adults and the elephant in the room is anti-Semitism, which was rampant in Germany before Hitler's ascension, and frankly throughout most of Europe.  Why did Hitler choose to blame the Jews???  I ask and get no answer.

The answer is, it was easy, a very quick sell.  He was telling some of those people what they already thought and believed and they were willing to jump right on board.

You want to keep defending ALL the German people (and those around the world) who stood by and allowed this atrocity to happen?

Go to.  It's telling of your character.

As is every post here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Ok well then let me ask you this. Where is your defense for those suffering from genocide now and in the time you've been alive? I think I asked this before and didn't get an answer, since you continue to evade pretty much every question I ask, including the part where I asked you why he hated the Jews, not the other way around. Where were youfor the rise of power of people who lead the genocides in the Sudan, rawanda, Vietnam, the middle east..... It keeps happening. So is the world comprised of nothing but cowards? What are you personally doing to help these people? It's the exact same thing. People being persecuted for color or creed. We know about. What do you suggest we all do? Again as ordinary people since that is the group of people we are talking about. What about the Asian camps we made right here in the us at the EXACT same time as the holocaust? Do you think that had anything to do with how we viewed the German camps? What about the communist scare? Deporting and jailing innocent people for possible.political belief? How about the witch trials? The massacres of natives? Etc. Not to downplay the holocaust but clearly nobody has learned anything. And by your account we are all a bunch of cowardly heartless people. Or you could take it for what it is, sometimes there just really is nothing you can do as a citizen. Knowledge or not.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Please.

First, I answered your questions including "why" Hitler hated Jews.  Scroll back and find it if you're really interested in my answer.  I am not here to "answer" your every question.

Second, I don't know what you mean where's my "defense" for genocide around the world now.  Genocide is always horrific and horrible.  When we shine a light on it, as happens from time to time ("we" meaning society), there are people who do have the ability to help stop those crimes - sometimes.  Genocide is always indefensible.

Are you trying to deflect the responsibility, whatever it was, the German people had for the Holocaust by saying horrible things happen everywhere?  The "Red" scare in the US, the Communist hearings, the Japanese interment camps, slavery, lynchings, Sacco and Vanzetti, the Rosenberg treason trial, assassinations....there are many things that happened in America that we are not and should not be proud of.  What is your point?  What does that have to do with any of my assertions regarding Germans (and others) and their behavior during Hitler's regime?

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Your point is by all accounts these things are stoppable, you've said it time and time again. So why weren't they? You going to look your family members in the eye and tell them they are all cowards? They were awful for "letting" it happen? Tell them that your mother and grandmother and by all accounts you didn't need to be born, you would have been just fine letting your family members be killed because at least they spoke out. You going to tell them that they should have had the esp to see that the man who was helping their country really was evil? Should they have crucified hindenburg too? Now tell them that they should have sheltered Jews and never let their kids go outside because they may have told and had the whole neighborhood torn apart? leaving many to death just for being old or young or sick? And if you were kept alive? Straight to the camps you go too. You going to tell them it was worth it? Suffer because others are suffering? How were they supposed to be of any good I'd they were locked down or dead? Would you sacrafice your parents, and your children to speak out for a stranger? go find a non Jewish German and tell them that's what you think of them. Then go to the Congo and tell those people the same, and the middle eastern women the same, and the rwandan people the same and on and on. Or you could shut up and admit that maybe the German citizens really didn't know what was going to happen and by the time they did they were too afraid to do anything about it. They were not responsible for what happened.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Please.

First, I answered your questions including "why" Hitler hated Jews.  Scroll back and find it if you're really interested in my answer.  I am not here to "answer" your every question.

Second, I don't know what you mean where's my "defense" for genocide around the world now.  Genocide is always horrific and horrible.  When we shine a light on it, as happens from time to time ("we" meaning society), there are people who do have the ability to help stop those crimes - sometimes.  Genocide is always indefensible.

Are you trying to deflect the responsibility, whatever it was, the German people had for the Holocaust by saying horrible things happen everywhere?  The "Red" scare in the US, the Communist hearings, the Japanese interment camps, slavery, lynchings, Sacco and Vanzetti, the Rosenberg treason trial, assassinations....there are many things that happened in America that we are not and should not be proud of.  What is your point?  What does that have to do with any of my assertions regarding Germans (and others) and their behavior during Hitler's regime?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Your point is by all accounts these things are stoppable, you've said it time and time again. So why weren't they? You going to look your family members in the eye and tell them they are all cowards? They were awful for "letting" it happen? Tell them that your mother and grandmother and by all accounts you didn't need to be born, you would have been just fine letting your family members be killed because at least they spoke out. You going to tell them that they should have had the esp to see that the man who was helping their country really was evil? Should they have crucified hindenburg too? Now tell them that they should have sheltered Jews and never let their kids go outside because they may have told and had the whole neighborhood torn apart? leaving many to death just for being old or young or sick? And if you were kept alive? Straight to the camps you go too. You going to tell them it was worth it? Suffer because others are suffering? How were they supposed to be of any good I'd they were locked down or dead? Would you sacrafice your parents, and your children to speak out for a stranger? go find a non Jewish German and tell them that's what you think of them. Then go to the Congo and tell those people the same, and the middle eastern women the same, and the rwandan people the same and on and on. Or you could shut up and admit that maybe the German citizens really didn't know what was going to happen and by the time they did they were too afraid to do anything about it. They were not responsible for what happened.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Please.

This is the last time that you're going to tell me to shut up or speak to me rudely, because it's the last time I plan on interacting with you.

Continue on with your defense of the indefensible.  I'm really good with how I've responded, and what I believe happened.  I'll rely on my good education, my readings, and my discussions with family who were there.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Agree to disagree then.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Please.

This is the last time that you're going to tell me to shut up or speak to me rudely, because it's the last time I plan on interacting with you.

Continue on with your defense of the indefensible.  I'm really good with how I've responded, and what I believe happened.  I'll rely on my good education, my readings, and my discussions with family who were there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN