Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Schwarzenegger admits to admiring Hitler’s speaking skills in new memoir

Posted by   + Show Post

Arnold Schwarzenegger has long combated rumors alleging that he praised Adolf Hitler. Inhis new autobiography, "Total Recall," the former California governor admits to praising the Nazi leaders speaking style but says he always opposed Hitler's policies.

"I philosophized that only a few men are born to lead, while the rest of humanity is born to follow, and went from that into discussing history's great conquerors and dictators," Schwarzenegger writes in his book. "I admired Hitler's speaking ability, though not what he did with it."

Speculation and criticism over Schwarzenegger's 1977 seminal bodybuilding film, "Pumping Iron." The Hitler exchange was ultimately edited out of the film by director George Butler. While acknowledging the exchange, Schwarzenegger says it was essentially a ruse often employed by the actor, 65, to draw attention to himself.

"Coming up with outrageous things to say was easy because I was always thinking them to keep myself entertained," he writes in Total Recall.

Nonetheless, the Schwarzenegger camp takes issue with the way the quote has been framed by theNew York Daily News, in a story titled "Arnold Schwarzenegger admits he once expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler after publicly denying it for years."

"This is a totally misleading and irresponsible headline," Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Ashley Robinson said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "The governor wrote about something he said over 30 years ago that was reported countless times during his election for governor, that he had strong oratory skills that were abused for power. The headline is a shameless, reprehensible attempt by a tabloid to get attention and web traffic."

During Schwarzenegger's first run for governor of California in 2003, Butler quoted the actor in a book proposal, citing a transcript from "Pumping Iron," during which he asked Schwarzenegger to list his heroes.

"I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power," Schwarzenegger reportedly said at the time.

However, the Schwarzenegger election campaign pointed out in 2003 that the full transcript of Schwarzenegger's quote shows he clearly distanced himself from any alleged "admiration" of the Nazi dictator.

"Yes, in Germany they used power and authority but it was used in the wrong way," Schwarzenegger said, according to Butler. "But it was misused on the power. First, it started having, I mean, getting Germany out of the great recession and having everybody jobs and so on and then it was just misused. And they said, let's take this country, and so on. That's bad."

Schwarzenegger has been actively involved with pro-Jewish and pro-Israel groups over the years, including the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/schwarzenegger-admits-expressing-admiration-hitler-memoir-190128101.html

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:50 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Hitler was one of the greatest public speakers of all time. His direction was his downfall. I agree with Arnold.

I agree.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Oh yeah, his hand gestures, posture, facial expressions, and even voice inflections are all used and taught to big time public speaks like politicians.  

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

They are people trained in those techniques who teach the presidents when addressing the nation. Watch any footage of recent presidents, spacifically their hands.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Truth be told, Hitler was one of the best speakers ever.  He had endless charisma, and could control the mood of a crowd with a few words.  In fact a lot of teachers in higher level public speaking and debate courses pull their material from Hitler, specially during lessons that focus on persuasive arguments and speeches. 

I will even say that while I hate him, and hate the evils he brought to this earth...I am in awe of his abilities as a speaker.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Agreed.  I don't think we should generalize all Germans like that.  There were a great number that opposed him, and helped those targeted by the Nazi's, at a great personal risk to self.  

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty who very quickly agreed with his views, because they were looking for someone to blame for all the bad things happening at the time.  But it is wrong to classify all Germans into one group. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
lga1965
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM

wow, I did. I lived in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?Doctors helped use the Jews in medical experiments to earn extra money. ( Craniotomies with no anesthetic) ,seeing how long they could live naed in snow in the winter, among other things. Ordinary Doctors from town.People in homes near Dachau saw the smoke and knew, But they ignored it.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

What part of Germany were you in?  I spent several years there too and enjoyed my time immensely.  Oddly enough, none of the Germans I encountered cared to speak about the subject.  That may have been specific to the area I was in, not sure.  But, it wasn't like I was going around asking everyone either.

Quoting lga1965:

wow, I did. I luved in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

JuneH
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I agree. I lived in Germany for a while as well, and I have tons of relatives there. It's wrong to assume they knew what was going on. It's not exactly an easy thing to even imagine!

Quoting GotSomeKids:

What part of Germany were you in?  I spent several years there too and enjoyed my time immensely.  Oddly enough, none of the Germans I encountered cared to speak about the subject.  That may have been specific to the area I was in, not sure.  But, it wasn't like I was going around asking everyone either.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:08 PM
I agree with this. I have been to Dachau several times. I remember watching the movie they had there. The Americans who liberated the camp, made local residents walk through the camp and view the piles of bodies.
What I remember the most is several pictures of this one Jewish man. He was in a room, and they kept playing these high pitched sounds, until his ear drums burst and he collapsed. They wanted to see how much the eardrum could tolerate. The sadness in his eyes, still haunt me to this day and that was 25 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

wow, I did. I lived in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?Doctors helped use the Jews in medical experiments to earn extra money. ( Craniotomies with no anesthetic) ,seeing how long they could live naed in snow in the winter, among other things. Ordinary Doctors from town.People in homes near Dachau saw the smoke and knew, But they ignored it.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM

We were anAir Force family at Bitburg once and Hahn another time---near the Luxembourg border and Trier. I never discussed Hitler and the concentration camps with anyone either, The younger generation is deeply ashamed of what happened in Htler's regime/Reich. But when you go to Dachau or the other camps in Europe, you learn  a whole lot. Its horrifying.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting lga1965:

wow, I did. I luved in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

lga1965
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I will never forget it either---we were there in the fall of 1971.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I agree with this. I have been to Dachau several times. I remember watching the movie they had there. The Americans who liberated the camp, made local residents walk through the camp and view the piles of bodies.
What I remember the most is several pictures of this one Jewish man. He was in a room, and they kept playing these high pitched sounds, until his ear drums burst and he collapsed. They wanted to see how much the eardrum could tolerate. The sadness in his eyes, still haunt me to this day and that was 25 years ago.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN