Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Schwarzenegger admits to admiring Hitler’s speaking skills in new memoir

Posted by   + Show Post

Arnold Schwarzenegger has long combated rumors alleging that he praised Adolf Hitler. Inhis new autobiography, "Total Recall," the former California governor admits to praising the Nazi leaders speaking style but says he always opposed Hitler's policies.

"I philosophized that only a few men are born to lead, while the rest of humanity is born to follow, and went from that into discussing history's great conquerors and dictators," Schwarzenegger writes in his book. "I admired Hitler's speaking ability, though not what he did with it."

Speculation and criticism over Schwarzenegger's 1977 seminal bodybuilding film, "Pumping Iron." The Hitler exchange was ultimately edited out of the film by director George Butler. While acknowledging the exchange, Schwarzenegger says it was essentially a ruse often employed by the actor, 65, to draw attention to himself.

"Coming up with outrageous things to say was easy because I was always thinking them to keep myself entertained," he writes in Total Recall.

Nonetheless, the Schwarzenegger camp takes issue with the way the quote has been framed by theNew York Daily News, in a story titled "Arnold Schwarzenegger admits he once expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler after publicly denying it for years."

"This is a totally misleading and irresponsible headline," Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Ashley Robinson said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "The governor wrote about something he said over 30 years ago that was reported countless times during his election for governor, that he had strong oratory skills that were abused for power. The headline is a shameless, reprehensible attempt by a tabloid to get attention and web traffic."

During Schwarzenegger's first run for governor of California in 2003, Butler quoted the actor in a book proposal, citing a transcript from "Pumping Iron," during which he asked Schwarzenegger to list his heroes.

"I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power," Schwarzenegger reportedly said at the time.

However, the Schwarzenegger election campaign pointed out in 2003 that the full transcript of Schwarzenegger's quote shows he clearly distanced himself from any alleged "admiration" of the Nazi dictator.

"Yes, in Germany they used power and authority but it was used in the wrong way," Schwarzenegger said, according to Butler. "But it was misused on the power. First, it started having, I mean, getting Germany out of the great recession and having everybody jobs and so on and then it was just misused. And they said, let's take this country, and so on. That's bad."

Schwarzenegger has been actively involved with pro-Jewish and pro-Israel groups over the years, including the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/schwarzenegger-admits-expressing-admiration-hitler-memoir-190128101.html

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Replies (161-170):
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Still evading the question.....

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Of course there was, because of Hitler. When you see a Jew hating skinhead who is usually associated? Hitler. He made hating Jews a very real thing and not just some tasteless joke over beers. If you don't take his power of speech and persuasion as a very real thing then clearly you are lost. There are people that work in the white house today who train Obama how to speak. How to inflection his voice. How to move his hands. All done with studies containing major influences in how Hitler used to address his country. So far the sake of the argument, Hitler influenced these people. At least a third. Then at some point they realised he wasn't what they thought. What would you have had them do? You keep saying they should have some better, they all knew and didn't do anything, they didn't want to be bothered. Ok, in this scenario they want to do something. People are being shot in the streets and there's talk of the concentration camps being used as kill camps. They didn't just take the Jews to work anymore. Now everyone is in danger. What would you do?

I actually read Shirer's book, but I read it sooo long ago.  I think it was like 30 years ago.  Anyway, this piece sort of says what Shirer says, but because it is lacking the context that Shirer placed the information, it isn't completely accurate in determining what Germans were thinking or feeling at the time.

I'm gonna go with those figures though.  A third or more of the populace was willing to elect Hitler. 

We can look backwards and say that the treaties that were rendered after WWI, which left Germany in such poor shape both economically and emotionally, should not have been crafted as they were, as it allowed the rise of someone to "rescue" the Germans and their national pride, even at the expense of a population of their citizenry. 

We can say lots of things.  When you ask "what should the Germans have done", you are claiming that they couldn't do anything.  Do you also claim that there wasn't a lot of anti-Semitism in Germany?  I know for sure that there was anti-Semitism all over Europe.  There were pogroms, Jews were ghettoised, they were chased from country to country. 

There is a reason that Hitler could get away with what he did in Germany.

OK, I have to stop you right here.

Hitler did NOT make hating Jews "a very real thing and not some tasteless joke over beers".  There was very real hatred of Jews, not just in Germany, but all over Europe, and not for a short period of time, but FOREVER.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Of course there was, because of Hitler. When you see a Jew hating skinhead who is usually associated? Hitler. He made hating Jews a very real thing and not just some tasteless joke over beers. If you don't take his power of speech and persuasion as a very real thing then clearly you are lost. There are people that work in the white house today who train Obama how to speak. How to inflection his voice. How to move his hands. All done with studies containing major influences in how Hitler used to address his country. So far the sake of the argument, Hitler influenced these people. At least a third. Then at some point they realised he wasn't what they thought. What would you have had them do? You keep saying they should have some better, they all knew and didn't do anything, they didn't want to be bothered. Ok, in this scenario they want to do something. People are being shot in the streets and there's talk of the concentration camps being used as kill camps. They didn't just take the Jews to work anymore. Now everyone is in danger. What would you do?

I actually read Shirer's book, but I read it sooo long ago.  I think it was like 30 years ago.  Anyway, this piece sort of says what Shirer says, but because it is lacking the context that Shirer placed the information, it isn't completely accurate in determining what Germans were thinking or feeling at the time.

I'm gonna go with those figures though.  A third or more of the populace was willing to elect Hitler. 

We can look backwards and say that the treaties that were rendered after WWI, which left Germany in such poor shape both economically and emotionally, should not have been crafted as they were, as it allowed the rise of someone to "rescue" the Germans and their national pride, even at the expense of a population of their citizenry. 

We can say lots of things.  When you ask "what should the Germans have done", you are claiming that they couldn't do anything.  Do you also claim that there wasn't a lot of anti-Semitism in Germany?  I know for sure that there was anti-Semitism all over Europe.  There were pogroms, Jews were ghettoised, they were chased from country to country. 

Hitler did NOT make hating Jews "a very real thing and not some tasteless joke over beers".  There was very real hatred of Jews, not just in Germany, but all over Europe, and not for a short period of time, but FOREVER.

I answered your question.  Your biases are showing.

krazykiddles
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Hitler was a genius, he just used it for a very wrong and evil thing! He was a great leader in that he could get anyone to follow him.  History would be completely different if he has used his leadership abilities for something great and kind. 

MicheleJM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I already said before I had forgotten about Israel.  The US didn't get involved until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.  But I was talking about the German common man in general.  There was no outcry nor was there outcry from Jews in other countries.  It was like everyone was blind to what was going on and that bothers me.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Israel couldn't "outcry" because Israel didn't exist before 1948.

The US? Half our country was at war stopping what was going on.

:-/

Quoting MicheleJM:

The timing was right for Hitler. If the first war had gone well for Germany they would have dismissed him as a crackpot. What I have wondered, not to be rude, was why the Jews and everyone else in the free world let it happen? No outcry from Israel over their brethen or the USA, who had the depression of course but still. The apathy from the rest of Germany and the world bothers me more than whata few Germans did.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MicheleJM:

I dont think money was all of it. The country had been devastatedby WWI. The Germans wanted revenge and a scapegoat. They wanted control over their lives or the illusion of it. Hitler promised them these things and played on their hatred. I daresay what happened in Germany is a lesson that such could happen again-even here.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

The demoralization of the loss of WWI I think is even greater than the financial woes, in terms of why Germany would let a Hitler come to power.  You're correct in that he promised them he knew the problem and would fix it, but I'm not certain that revenge is the right word.  Scapegoat for their problems for sure.  It is interesting that one of the ways Hitler played on the German emotion was by telling them they were genetically better, Aryans were superior, all of that was a play on their emotions to let them know they were not and could not ever be truly beaten down, they would rise again by eliminating the inferior and then take their rightful place at the top. 

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Many "ignored" it out of fear, of ending up there themselves.

Quoting lga1965:

wow, I did. I lived in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?Doctors helped use the Jews in medical experiments to earn extra money. ( Craniotomies with no anesthetic) ,seeing how long they could live naed in snow in the winter, among other things. Ordinary Doctors from town.People in homes near Dachau saw the smoke and knew, But they ignored it.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, you should study more.  Apparently your feelings on the German people of that time are very similar to your hate for southerners.

Quoting lga1965:

Oh for goodness sake. Study more? way to make yourself feel really smart and superior. Don't use me to boost your ego.

I hated Hitler and couldn't watch the newsreels and films of him which is why I don't personally "see" him as  a great speaker. He looked angry and ugly to me and yet he was able to hypnotize the citizens and many women even fell in love with him. @@ Yes, they did.But I know he was able to convince everyone he was right and everyone believed in him because of his speeches.Students of that era say he was great, Arnold says he was. I don't have to agree just to look like I have "studied". Because I have studied.

As I have already written here, we were stationed in Germany twice in the 70's and 80's with the USAF. We went to Dachau, we read the literature, I read the book "The Diary Of Anne Frank" right after it was published in the early 1950's when I was 11. Based on this reply of yours here, I bet you weren't reading anything of importance when you were 11.

If all you can contribute here is "study more", then you haven't contributed at all. It would have been nice if you read all the rest of my replies here .....then you might have learned a lot about this subject

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Study more....

Quoting lga1965:

Hitler's voice, posture and words were NOT characteristic of a "great speaker". I don't know how the German people could stand listening to him. I have heard him.He was insanely corrupt and his voice reflected it.

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM
No you didn't. Probably because you don't have a good answer. But ill ask it again anyway.

For the sake of the argument, Hitler influenced these people. At least a third. Then at some point they realised he wasn't what they thought. What would you have had them do? You keep saying they should have some better, they all knew and didn't do anything, they didn't want to be bothered. Ok, in this scenario they want to do something. People are being shot in the streets and there's talk of the concentration camps being used as kill camps. They didn't just take the Jews to work anymore. Now everyone is in danger. What would you do?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Why do I have to presuppose your particular set of facts?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

No you didn't. Probably because you don't have a good answer. But ill ask it again anyway.

For the sake of the argument, Hitler influenced these people. At least a third. Then at some point they realised he wasn't what they thought. What would you have had them do? You keep saying they should have some better, they all knew and didn't do anything, they didn't want to be bothered. Ok, in this scenario they want to do something. People are being shot in the streets and there's talk of the concentration camps being used as kill camps. They didn't just take the Jews to work anymore. Now everyone is in danger. What would you do?

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Because by any standards of oratory he wasn't anything great...He was of average intelligence, he had an average vocabulary, and he took advantage of a mob rules mentality. He fed them exactly what they wanted to hear, he gave them a scapegoat, and sorry, that doesn't make one a great speaker. David Koresh did that, Charles Manson did that. Oh, but this was a larger scale? Great, how about Hirohito? They thought he was divine. Is he a great speaker? How about the recently deceased Kim Jong Il of North Korea? Hell, they worshipped him. Was it because he was a great speaker? Or was it because he exercised complete authority through a brutal regime that didn't allow for any dissent whatsoever.

Sure, they listened to Hitler when everything was going peachy. But as soon as the going got rough, they weren't listening anymore. Hell, even his own generals weren't listening to him, as witness Stalingrad in 1943 when Von Manstein surrendered despite Hitler's insistence on fighting to the last man. Rommel also ignored Hitler's orders. As for the German people, they weren't buying the speeches once it became clear the war was lost. Suddenly his speaking ability was sorely lacking. There was no rally, he didn't motivate anybody to greatness.

So no, you're not going to convince me that he was anything other than a megalomaniac who took advantage of people who wanted a scapegoat for their troubles, and enforced his leadership with a brutal security apparatus. History is replete with such figures. That does not make them great speakers.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Why?

My grandfather was on the USS Columbia and hit by a kamikaze.

But even he would agree Hitler was a great speaker.

Quoting shannonnigans:

My grandfather flew in B17s during WWII. He and his buddies would throw up if they read this thread.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Because they are true and if you took 30 seconds to actually listen to what I'm saying and think of what you would do in their position you would see why it makes sense. So again. Hypothetically if that makes you feel better, what would you do once you realised a monster ran your country? Given everything you know to be true about the way Hitler handled those who opposed him.

Quoting romalove:

Why do I have to presuppose your particular set of facts?

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)