Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Schwarzenegger admits to admiring Hitler’s speaking skills in new memoir

Posted by   + Show Post

Arnold Schwarzenegger has long combated rumors alleging that he praised Adolf Hitler. Inhis new autobiography, "Total Recall," the former California governor admits to praising the Nazi leaders speaking style but says he always opposed Hitler's policies.

"I philosophized that only a few men are born to lead, while the rest of humanity is born to follow, and went from that into discussing history's great conquerors and dictators," Schwarzenegger writes in his book. "I admired Hitler's speaking ability, though not what he did with it."

Speculation and criticism over Schwarzenegger's 1977 seminal bodybuilding film, "Pumping Iron." The Hitler exchange was ultimately edited out of the film by director George Butler. While acknowledging the exchange, Schwarzenegger says it was essentially a ruse often employed by the actor, 65, to draw attention to himself.

"Coming up with outrageous things to say was easy because I was always thinking them to keep myself entertained," he writes in Total Recall.

Nonetheless, the Schwarzenegger camp takes issue with the way the quote has been framed by theNew York Daily News, in a story titled "Arnold Schwarzenegger admits he once expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler after publicly denying it for years."

"This is a totally misleading and irresponsible headline," Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Ashley Robinson said in a statement provided to Yahoo News. "The governor wrote about something he said over 30 years ago that was reported countless times during his election for governor, that he had strong oratory skills that were abused for power. The headline is a shameless, reprehensible attempt by a tabloid to get attention and web traffic."

During Schwarzenegger's first run for governor of California in 2003, Butler quoted the actor in a book proposal, citing a transcript from "Pumping Iron," during which he asked Schwarzenegger to list his heroes.

"I admired Hitler, for instance, because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power," Schwarzenegger reportedly said at the time.

However, the Schwarzenegger election campaign pointed out in 2003 that the full transcript of Schwarzenegger's quote shows he clearly distanced himself from any alleged "admiration" of the Nazi dictator.

"Yes, in Germany they used power and authority but it was used in the wrong way," Schwarzenegger said, according to Butler. "But it was misused on the power. First, it started having, I mean, getting Germany out of the great recession and having everybody jobs and so on and then it was just misused. And they said, let's take this country, and so on. That's bad."

Schwarzenegger has been actively involved with pro-Jewish and pro-Israel groups over the years, including the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/schwarzenegger-admits-expressing-admiration-hitler-memoir-190128101.html

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
JuneH
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM

oh ok.

And it was the Auschwitz one that got stolen by the Swedish Neo-Nazi.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Dachau had one too. I think most of the camps did. It was a lie they told the Jews. "Work makes one free".

Quoting JuneH:

Isn't that Auschwitz?

And the sign got cut in two after stupid people stole it!

Quoting billsfan1104:

I remember them. I remember the ash that was there and was wondering if that was someone. I remember the railroad tracks and that stupid sign n the wrot iron fence "arebeit macht frei".

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
3 moms liked this
You know about the holocaust. Everyone knows about the holocaust. If you knew anything about what was going through most Germans minds at that time you would not say the things you do about them. It all comes back to the main point, the power of speech and once more the intensity and power that Hitler delivered those words with. If you ever got the chance to talk to a non Jewish German that lived in that time, and they actually decide to talk to you about it, which was half the battle, you would understand why their mentality was nothing like you describe them. Quite frankly its insulting to anyone who was not a Jew hating Nazi. Can you imagine what that must have been like for them? Everywhere is in ruins. The country is in deep poverty. And here is this great man who days he is going to fix everything. You want to believe him. So you listen to what he says. You had the propaganda. The way Jews were depicted. Nazi "doctors" explaining the differance and shy the arians were pure. They taught them as children. The brainwashed people essentially. This stuff didn't just happen overnight. People didn't just wake up hating Jews. Sometimes it wasn't a scary process. The nazis came and said they were moving the Jews. Had them back their bags like a transport. And most didn't say anything because they'd been conditioned to believe it was ok. At that point even many Jews didn't know they were being taken to the camps to have these awful things happen. Say you're a small business owner, the soul income for your family, your blood and sweat, and you employ a Jewish man. The nazis come and tell you if you don't fire him bad things will happen. You ignore them and within days your business is burned to the ground. If only it ended there. For disobeying you are now arrested and carted off to a camp, if you live that long and haven't shot you in the street by now. Let's say your neighbors are Jews and you agree to hide their small children. Same thing. If they are found, everybody dies or ends up at camp. Let that happen a few times in public and see how balsy you get. Then it went a step farther. If you even knew of someone speaking out, didn't even have to be publicly, or you knew someone to be hiding Jews, and you didn't tell the proper authorities, you could be killed. If you were caught trying to run away, you were killed.if you were caught passing information you were killed. By the time it was all said and done most Germans had ended up on rations they could barely make a meal from and whole cities in ruins. You act like it was a bunch of stuck up people who said whatever and kept on with their lives. It wasn't like that for a majority of Germans. NOW you know something.

Quoting lga1965:

NOTHING? LOL. wow.I know more than lots of Americans do about the whole Hitler killing Jews era..pardon me for not actually BEING a German. I know there were many good people in the resistamce. I know the Dutch people also did a whole lot to help hide Jews. I realize that. And ,of course, they were afraid but the brave people at least tried.

I do know something. But you say I "know nothing",OMG.You are a bit dictatorial and harsh yourself, lady.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Ummm I AM German. So congratulations on your history lesson. You still know NOTHING about what the German people were like. They were scared into submission, if you disagreed with him or spoke out against him, awful things happened to you, your family, the people who employed you etc. The entire country was forced into poverty and starvation to show their strength. The people they should be able to count on, their police, their government, their politicians, were all playing a part. Propaganda was huge and many genuinely did not know what was really going on. They new it was bad, but not like that. And again, the ones who did could not speak out. Germans controlled Germany, Austria, Bosnia, not to mention the allied Italians. What were they supposed to do? He wooed them into power with his words of power and redemption and rebuilding, by the time it started to go bad, it was too late. There were resistances, people who laid down their lives to hide those sought out, spys, coups, what more did you honestly expect them to do with zero money, zero resources, and the only backing they could get hadn't made it to them yet? Again you know NOTHING.

Quoting lga1965:

wow, I did. I lived in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?Doctors helped use the Jews in medical experiments to earn extra money. ( Craniotomies with no anesthetic) ,seeing how long they could live naed in snow in the winter, among other things. Ordinary Doctors from town.People in homes near Dachau saw the smoke and knew, But they ignored it.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

That would be "breathe".

But that's a little too sarcastic. I am allowed to express my thoughts and feelings without being told to "breathe"

Quoting JuneH:

breath.

Quoting lga1965:

Off track?

Okay, Arnold said that Hitler was a great speaker. . Is THAT what you want?

krysstizzle
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.

My grandma was born in 1942 in Germany near the Polish border. The situation for her family was horrible, and they weren't Jewish. Her mother, herself, an aunt, and her baby sister were herded on trains and forced to moved at different times. They spent so much time trying to keep themselves fed (and they had to eat things I don't like to imagine), and it had nothing to do with them being awful, unprincipled people. The stories, even from her family, are awful. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

You know about the holocaust. Everyone knows about the holocaust. If you knew anything about what was going through most Germans minds at that time you would not say the things you do about them. It all comes back to the main point, the power of speech and once more the intensity and power that Hitler delivered those words with. If you ever got the chance to talk to a non Jewish German that lived in that time, and they actually decide to talk to you about it, which was half the battle, you would understand why their mentality was nothing like you describe them. Quite frankly its insulting to anyone who was not a Jew hating Nazi. Can you imagine what that must have been like for them? Everywhere is in ruins. The country is in deep poverty. And here is this great man who days he is going to fix everything. You want to believe him. So you listen to what he says. You had the propaganda. The way Jews were depicted. Nazi "doctors" explaining the differance and shy the arians were pure. They taught them as children. The brainwashed people essentially. This stuff didn't just happen overnight. People didn't just wake up hating Jews. Sometimes it wasn't a scary process. The nazis came and said they were moving the Jews. Had them back their bags like a transport. And most didn't say anything because they'd been conditioned to believe it was ok. At that point even many Jews didn't know they were being taken to the camps to have these awful things happen. Say you're a small business owner, the soul income for your family, your blood and sweat, and you employ a Jewish man. The nazis come and tell you if you don't fire him bad things will happen. You ignore them and within days your business is burned to the ground. If only it ended there. For disobeying you are now arrested and carted off to a camp, if you live that long and haven't shot you in the street by now. Let's say your neighbors are Jews and you agree to hide their small children. Same thing. If they are found, everybody dies or ends up at camp. Let that happen a few times in public and see how balsy you get. Then it went a step farther. If you even knew of someone speaking out, didn't even have to be publicly, or you knew someone to be hiding Jews, and you didn't tell the proper authorities, you could be killed. If you were caught trying to run away, you were killed.if you were caught passing information you were killed. By the time it was all said and done most Germans had ended up on rations they could barely make a meal from and whole cities in ruins. You act like it was a bunch of stuck up people who said whatever and kept on with their lives. It wasn't like that for a majority of Germans. NOW you know something.

Quoting lga1965:

NOTHING? LOL. wow.I know more than lots of Americans do about the whole Hitler killing Jews era..pardon me for not actually BEING a German. I know there were many good people in the resistamce. I know the Dutch people also did a whole lot to help hide Jews. I realize that. And ,of course, they were afraid but the brave people at least tried.

I do know something. But you say I "know nothing",OMG.You are a bit dictatorial and harsh yourself, lady.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Ummm I AM German. So congratulations on your history lesson. You still know NOTHING about what the German people were like. They were scared into submission, if you disagreed with him or spoke out against him, awful things happened to you, your family, the people who employed you etc. The entire country was forced into poverty and starvation to show their strength. The people they should be able to count on, their police, their government, their politicians, were all playing a part. Propaganda was huge and many genuinely did not know what was really going on. They new it was bad, but not like that. And again, the ones who did could not speak out. Germans controlled Germany, Austria, Bosnia, not to mention the allied Italians. What were they supposed to do? He wooed them into power with his words of power and redemption and rebuilding, by the time it started to go bad, it was too late. There were resistances, people who laid down their lives to hide those sought out, spys, coups, what more did you honestly expect them to do with zero money, zero resources, and the only backing they could get hadn't made it to them yet? Again you know NOTHING.

Quoting lga1965:

wow, I did. I lived in Germany for a total of 7 years. I also went to the musuem at Dachau concentration camp, saw the ovens, saw the bunks,  and heard a priest lecture and I saw the photos and learned a hell of a lot. Have YOU?Doctors helped use the Jews in medical experiments to earn extra money. ( Craniotomies with no anesthetic) ,seeing how long they could live naed in snow in the winter, among other things. Ordinary Doctors from town.People in homes near Dachau saw the smoke and knew, But they ignored it.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

The Germans were like amoral,unprincipled puppets. WHen he spoke about how they would prosper and how their country would be great and rich again, they listened because MONEY was all they cared about. And when people saw the concentration camps being built and saw the smoke from the crematoriums ( the ovens where Jews were burned) , they turned away and let it happen because of their alegiance to the puppet master who would bring them a better economy. Sick stuff.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Hitler was an excellent speaker.  Why deny that?

JuneH
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:00 AM
3 moms liked this

I never said you weren't allowed to express your thoughts, but you still should breathe. Thanks for the heads up on the English by the way.

I have relatives that were in concentration camps during the war. They didn't suffer the same horrors some did, but the point is, everyone has their experiences. You have some pretty shitty ones, I understand, but no one is disagreeing with you that the holocaust was all very shitty. So go nuts on me - all you want. Hell, don't breathe if that's what you want to do, I don't care. But why the chip? I don't see the point in that, but by all means have your opinion. And bash people who are agreeing with you while you're at it. After all, might as well just take it out on all of us.

Quoting lga1965:

That would be "breathe".

But that's a little too sarcastic. I am allowed to express my thoughts and feelings without being told to "breathe"

Quoting JuneH:

breath.

Quoting lga1965:

Off track?

Okay, Arnold said that Hitler was a great speaker. . Is THAT what you want?

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Wow.... Read a book.

Quoting lga1965:

You are arguing with a brick.  Iga thinks she is an expert on everything.

grandma B

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Hitler was one of the greatest public speakers of all time. His direction was his downfall. I agree with Arnold.

Agreed. In fact, my parents are from Germany, my dad was in a concentration camp, they greatly suffered under Hitlers atrocities. One of the problems was that people did blindly follow Hitler, he was engaging and dynamic... Just evil.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Hitler may have been evil and a disgusting excuse for a human but he was an excellent speaker.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Study more....

Quoting lga1965:

Hitler's voice, posture and words were NOT characteristic of a "great speaker". I don't know how the German people could stand listening to him. I have heard him.He was insanely corrupt and his voice reflected it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)