Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think you have the right to not be offended?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:08 AM
  • 21 Replies

I was listening to the radio the other night/early morning on my way home from work. They were talking about a meter maid giving a guy a ticket for parking illegally. She spotted the car, and then the bumper sticker and said out loud to herself, "Oh, I am definitely writing you a ticket." The car owner overheard her and they argued over the sticker and her comment. He fully admits to deserving the ticket, and she admits the comment was rude, but that is not the part of the story we are discussing. Nor the sticker's message.

The show host asked, "Who's the bigger jerk? The lady that made a rude comment, or the guy who put his opinion on a sticker on his car for anyone to see and comment on? Was he looking for attention?"

Do we have the right not to be offended by someone else's opinion? 

Do we put ourselves out there to be ridiculed?

I honestly don't think you can have the right to free speech and the right to not be offended at the same time. Just because you don't like what someone is saying, doesn't mean they don't have the right to say it, and vice versa. If you use your right to say how you think or feel, you are also opening up the door to be offended with someone else's right to say how they think or feel. 

How do we work on getting thicker skin, since the right to free speech isn't going away and there seems to be a lot of attention on offensive material lately?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:34 AM
3 moms liked this
The guy admittedly deserved the ticket. He gets the ticket, end of story. The rest is covered by the First Amendment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:41 AM
I dont see a point in getting into who was more rude. It doesn't matter. The guy had a violation, and he posted a sticker that was meant to draw a response. Let's not play stupid. Since the meter-reader did nothing illegal, I'm not seeing the need for debate. Or maybe I just didn't get enough sleep...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:44 AM
2 moms liked this

You do not have the right to not be offended.

You do have the right to demand that the Constitution is followed.

This means, if someone says something offensive to you but not against the Constitution, suck it up.

If someone does something that is against the Constitution, you can take action to fix that type of offense through legal channels.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:00 AM
If any type of speech was never offensive; there would be no need to the "right to free speech."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I read this recently and I think it applies here...

http://socyberty.com/advice/being-offended-is-a-choice-to-be-a-victim/

Being Offended is a Choice to be a Victim

Being offended is a choice to be a victim. Have you ever thought about how silly it is to go around being offended?

There are people who turn on the radio and get offended because they hear someone speaking in a certain tone or saying a word they don’t like. Some people have a whole list of words that they are offended by, and anytime someone says one of them, they go off into a tantrum.

Albeit, it’s just like allowing someone else’s behavior decide how you are going to be emotionally. You can be the person whose emotions or strings are pulled by someone else, depending on how they choose to act or what words they choose to use.

You choose your own emotional responses, and you own them. You can blame others for how you choose to feel and pretend that you are a victim.

Or you can choose not to give anyone permission to take away your happiness, joy or good mood away from you.

You can give away your power and allow someone else’s behavior to pull your strings ….

Or you can allow yourself the right to process their behavior for what it is: It’s THEIR behavior, not yours. Being offended and angry or embarrassed by someone’s behavior is a resistance to accepting the reality that they are responding and acting with who they are and how they choose to be.

When you accept people as they are and mirror back their reality to them, they will feel understood and then you can seek to be understood, because they will be open to a new perspective.

If you don’t like what someone is saying on the radio, turn the dial. If you don’t like the way someone chooses to dress, turn your eyes. Don’t feast your eyes on it.
If someone else wants to listen to rock music that you think is disgusting, then don’t listen to it. That is what free speech and the First Amendment of the Constitution are about. That’s what free expression is all about. That’s what it’s all about; there is no code that is going to fit everyone.

However, when you come from love you always know what to do and you have consideration, honor, honesty, security, trust, acceptance, integrity, understanding – all those things are love and you cannot be wrong with them. This also means having enough self-love and dignity, not to be burdened with someone else’s victimizing behavior and if need be, allowing them to act that way away from you.

Choosing to not be offended is to not be a victim.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

DanaG70
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM

I think I need more coffee, I had to read that twice to make any sense out of it.

I personally think he was trying to get out of the ticket, which he may very well be able to, since she was in uniform.

MissElissa21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Sorry, it was really late when I wrote it. It should also include that the guy took the story to the news and her supervisor and is demanding an apology for offending him. He is paying the ticket, and she is not in trouble, or obligated to give an apology since her comments and his sticker are covered by the first ammendment.

Quoting DanaG70:

I think I need more coffee, I had to read that twice to make any sense out of it.

I personally think he was trying to get out of the ticket, which he may very well be able to, since she was in uniform.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, you certainly don't have the right to not be offended but freedom of speech also doesn't mean freedom from consequence, one cannot whine when people are offended by their poorly presented opinions.  

How do you work on having a thicker skin?  Well to start you stop letting the opinions of strangers and people you would never pick as friends impact you.  

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

How do we get a thicker skin? How about starting with getting rid of all this PC crap. Since that started, people seem to have begun thinking that they should never be offended and anything they personally find offensive should be gotten rid of.

DanaG70
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

It's ok, I'm just really slow in the morning.

So he wants and apology for offending him, where as his bumper sticker offended her, so is he going to remove the bumper sticker to keep from offending somebody again? It's a double edged sword, he can't have it both ways.

Quoting MissElissa21:

Sorry, it was really late when I wrote it. It should also include that the guy took the story to the news and her supervisor and is demanding an apology for offending him. He is paying the ticket, and she is not in trouble, or obligated to give an apology since her comments and his sticker are covered by the first ammendment.

Quoting DanaG70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)