Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man Dies After Live Roach-Eating Contest

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM
  • 20 Replies


Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Fla.

MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

The Miami Herald reported the grand prize has been put aside in Archbold's name and will be given to his estate.

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

 If I ate live roaches I would wish I was dead.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Fear factor gone wild!

Remember ladies, when it doubt leave the bugs out (bugs aren't on anyone's diet plan nor should it be)

PS Clair, it is a joke. Please no need for a National Geographic links :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Eww..
I wonder what actually killed him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moniker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

My guess is cocaine overdose. First clue, he was the life of the party. I would guess he had to do something before hand to get him psyched enough to eat the bugs. Then the added adrenaline of winning was too much for his heart. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

 I hope he washed them down with a nice chianti.

 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Ewww just ewww. And the grand prize was a python? Gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

That's disgusting....I feel for his family, but YECH!!

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM
All of that for a python? Pythons aren't even expensive!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Made me nauseous just reading it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Doesn't he know you're supposed to take off the wings and cook the roaches before you eat them? It's that way with any type of large beetle. And worms, you're supposed to let them sit in clean, potable water for 15 minutes before consuming them. He obviously didn't look into this before competing...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN