Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How is someone old enough to decide they'd give their life to defend their counrty but not old enough to...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 97 Replies
2 moms liked this

Drink a beer?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I know it is f-ing stupid.

mommaoftwo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I thought they could drink on base, or something. Most military I know were military when the drinking age was 18.

But I thought I had heard somewhere that it was legal to drink on base if you're active.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM
6 moms liked this

I agree with you on this.  HOnestly, the difference (mentally) between 18 and 21, in general, is really not all that much.  It just seems stupid.  At 18 they are expected to be adults.  Commit a crime, get an adult punishment.  You can elect leaders, but you can't drink. You can die for your country, but you can't enjoy a beer.  You're considered the age of consent, but not the age to drink? 

Talk about a mixed message. 

butlerro1013
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Agreed!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM
4 moms liked this

At 18, their brain is not finished. They are still very moldable, which makes it very easy for the military to impart what they need on the individuals. They are 'disposable', as typically the 18 year old does not have a famlily (wife, children, responsibilities). They are coming into their peak of strength, testosterone is running high. Most 18 year olds are not responsible. Under the guidance of the military, they don't necessarily have to be responsible, they only have to understand how to follow the rules.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Not anymore.  :-(

When my husband enlisted (1978), he could drink on post but he could not drink liquor or wine and was limited to no more than 2 beers.  If he tried to drink off post or a party in the barracks, he could still be charged with underage drinking.  He now works as a police officer on a military post and wishes the military would return to that sensible policy.  It allowed young soldiers to go out for a drink with their buddies but helped to reduce the amount of alcohol consumed.  The system is not perfect.  My husband has a tattoo on his arm that he has no memory of getting as it happened somewhere in the middle of a 5 day drinking binge while in S. Korea.  But it worked better than prosecuting every 19 year old who wants to go down to the club and hang out with the rest of his squad.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I thought they could drink on base, or something. Most military I know were military when the drinking age was 18.

But I thought I had heard somewhere that it was legal to drink on base if you're active.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Cubanmom84
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Totally agree, old enough to go kill someone in war but you can't sit back afterwards and release some stress by drinking a freaking beer! Yeah forget the fact that killing someone has to be a life changing experience!!! But can't drink?! Stupid!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this

Usually though, these young guys don't think they will be "giving their lives for their country"...they are "too tough" to get killed and they are too young to worry because they think they are invinceable. And they are too young to safely drink,too,at age 18.

aMarieT
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM

at 18 one reaches the age of majority, they can vote and serve their country, and no they cannot legally drink on post. The post is required to follow the local laws.

but I do agree, if you elect to serve, you should be able to legally drink

dsebastian23
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM
3 moms liked this

Im sorry but I dont want a bunch of 18 year olds running around drunk cause you know damn well the drinking and driving accidents will increase!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN