Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How is someone old enough to decide they'd give their life to defend their counrty but not old enough to...

Posted by   + Show Post

Drink a beer?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Replies (41-50):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM

This is why I say bump EVERYTHING up to 21.  drinking, driving, voting, military service.

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I agree 100% with this!!!

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I don't think 18 year olds are old enough for either.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yes she IS very succinct! :) *mad love*

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

meh- question asked and Eirelass did such a wonderful job with her post- taking the thoughts right out of my mind LOL - I went with her answer.

I will not argue your points as I fully acknowldge that yes, these young people use very expensive equipment (only wish more of the money was spent towards ensuring the safety of our young people- but that's awhole 'nother thread); and the marines especailly are a whole breed above and the program instills leadership/responsibilty at a very young age (before their time perhaps but that's a whole'nother thread too) but at the end of the day- I stand by Eirelass' statement. It was quite succinct.

Quoting Woodbabe:

And yet we entrust them with millions of dollars of equipment and I know the Marines empower their people to take charge of younger Marines and to lead them way before the age of 21. They sound pretty responsible to me. I think its the parents suffocating their kids and extending their childhoods that creates this lack of responsibilty you speak of. They are more than ready for it, if given the opportunity!

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

THIS.....

Quoting EireLass:

At 18, their brain is not finished. They are still very moldable, which makes it very easy for the military to impart what they need on the individuals. They are 'disposable', as typically the 18 year old does not have a famlily (wife, children, responsibilities). They are coming into their peak of strength, testosterone is running high. Most 18 year olds are not responsible. Under the guidance of the military, they don't necessarily have to be responsible, they only have to understand how to follow the rules.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

My opinion on this topic has changed in the past few years (another topic where I've changed an opinion lol)--they're old enough to vote and they're old enough to fight for our country. YES, they're old enough to have a brewski.

Think about it--there are 50-somethings out there who cannot handle their liquor. Age has never equaled maturity and when it comes to drinking a beer, that has more than been shown by the number of "of age" drinkers who are not able to to reason or even function with a little alcohol in their system.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Poor thing. He's probably self-medicating. Our military need improved supports, medical and emotional. We seem to just use them all up and then toss them out when we are done with them ("we" in very general/broad terms)

Quoting catchup29:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

The law is the law and no man- not even a marine is above it. I bet his license was suspended. And he had a sizable fine to pay too.

If he was smart enough to drink, then he should have been smart enough not to drive. Apparently that 19 year old was not smart. Goes back to the same argument.

Quoting catchup29:

I went to traffic court a few years ago.  A man, 19, just back from Iraq, was injured.  Was in front of the judge for drunk driving.  She went on and on for about 15 minutes how she thinks its a shame that he isn't allowed to drink but he can go to war.  However, she punished him according to the law.

Didn't say it was right or wrong, just saying she had sympathy for him, empathy but followed the law.  He had an obvious mental disability from being over there, and his attorney said that since being back from Iraq, he has been in therapy.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Because it's the law....

Other than that, I've got nothing... I think it's stupid you can be a legal adult and can't choose whether you want to drink a beer or not.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I was JUST thinking that!

TheStepMonster
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's the whole "i'm an adult, I can do everything an adult does" mentality, quite honestly.

I haven't looked into the "why" behind the whole 21 drinking vs 18 military "I can die so I should be able to buy" arguments - on either side.  This is just my theory....

I think people don't see the whole picture...drinking - there is no "training" behind drinking.  You don't go to boot camp for months, AIT or A school training for months, and not under the direct supervision of a drill sargeant and/or commanding officer while you're drinking and making decisions such as to get into the car and drive home.

For most 18-20 year olds, they are handling government issued guns, driving large tanks, etc under the direct orders of someone higher up than they.  They don't fire unless either a. fired upon, or b. because they were told to by their superiors.  Typically those superiors are older and far better trained.  ( I say most and typically because I do understand there are exceptions)  But, no matter who is supervising them, they are trained to do so, and can understand the consequences of their actions should they go outside the law/international treaties/chain of command.

However, an 18 year old, under the influence of alcohol - doesn't have that same rational thought.  

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

um- ewwwww. but ok.

and didn;t fatalies decrease after the law was enacted too? so it was a good thing to raise the drinking age. and yet we want our young people with government issued guns and driving large tanks be able to drink? why are we defending /promting our underage military to drink ?

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Nope - this RR lover will fully admit it was Ronald Reagan who signed that into legislation. 

It came on the heels of a study by an independent group that showed that alcohol related accidents increased in those aged 18-20.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Finally, ONE thing Obama can not be blamed for!

Quoting TheStepMonster:

Blame the federal government :)

States are ultimately the ones who decide what they're drinking age is in their state.  However, thanks to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, the states are faced with a 10% reduction in federal transportation funds if their drinking age falls below 21.  This legislation was pushed through thanks to mad support from MADD.

It wasn't until 1988 that all 50 states were in compiance. 

grey ribbon

During the month of May, I wear my gray for Brain Cancer Awareness in memory of my momma (BM).  She fought her battle from May, 1988 - October, 1998.  Love and miss you much.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)