Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How is someone old enough to decide they'd give their life to defend their counrty but not old enough to...

Posted by   + Show Post

Drink a beer?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Replies (51-60):
KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

This question is as old as the hills...why can you drive a car at 16, but can't legally smoke a cigarette?   I know so many young folks look forward to drinking, but it really isn't all it is cracked up to be.   This weekend, I took my DD to her first concert , she is 11.   We were floored by the number of so-called 'adults' you were so flipping drunk their friends had to hold them up.   This was even before the main act was on stage at 8:30.  WTH???!!!!    Then to think all of these adults were going to get into cars and drive.   UGH!

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I think that either the drinking age needs to be lowered or the age that you can enter into contracts should be raised.....

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Because all the fresh out of high school babies they send to boot camp need and receive a brand new Daddy when they get to their unit. Some of these Daddies are lucky enough to get a brand new son & daughter at the same time.

It's fun stuff when your husbands new children call you at 2am to settle an argument!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM
I say that men and women who enlist in the military and especially if they are deployed to war should be allowed to have a drink if they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish we had a "love" button for this. 

Quoting EireLass:

At 18, their brain is not finished. They are still very moldable, which makes it very easy for the military to impart what they need on the individuals. They are 'disposable', as typically the 18 year old does not have a famlily (wife, children, responsibilities). They are coming into their peak of strength, testosterone is running high. Most 18 year olds are not responsible. Under the guidance of the military, they don't necessarily have to be responsible, they only have to understand how to follow the rules.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Here the legal drinking age is 18. It has been longer than I can remember. Yet the drunk drivers are as likely to be 50 as 18, 19, 20.

Yes there is the 'I'm 18 and invincible and it won't happen to me' mentality, but we have a lot of education about drinking and driving, and pretty strict laws, and most kids are buying into that.

I've never understood the thought process behind being able to vote and enlist but not drink. Also I've been on Minot AFB and they are allowed to drink on base there, only beer though as if that really makes a difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Legal does not equal responsible. Not sure how old your kids are, or what age range you surround yourself with, or even if you can remember when you and your gang were 18. You'd know legal does not equal responsible. And I agree....voting....just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Then they should not be charged as adults
they should not be considered the age of consent
They should not be voting
They should not be allowed to enter in to any contract, including military.

Quoting EireLass:

At 18, their brain is not finished. They are still very moldable, which makes it very easy for the military to impart what they need on the individuals. They are 'disposable', as typically the 18 year old does not have a famlily (wife, children, responsibilities). They are coming into their peak of strength, testosterone is running high. Most 18 year olds are not responsible. Under the guidance of the military, they don't necessarily have to be responsible, they only have to understand how to follow the rules.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Come on, you know what goes on. They appear and act responsibly, because the threat of consequense is very real. Outside of the military, and under Mommy's blanket, there's no threat of anything.

Quoting Woodbabe:

And yet we entrust them with millions of dollars of equipment and I know the Marines empower their people to take charge of younger Marines and to lead them way before the age of 21. They sound pretty responsible to me. I think its the parents suffocating their kids and extending their childhoods that creates this lack of responsibilty you speak of. They are more than ready for it, if given the opportunity!

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

THIS.....

Quoting EireLass:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Nope.
It's bullshit because its bullshit.

Drinking age lowered, no increase in car accidents. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Quoting dsebastian23:

its a bullshit response because you dont agree...SMH!    And being on base is different than being out at a regular bar...

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Absolutely not true.

Camp Pendleton allows 18 year old Marines to drink on base. No rise in accidents and no rise in violence. So there goes your bullshit response.

Quoting dsebastian23:

Im sorry but I dont want a bunch of 18 year olds running around drunk cause you know damn well the drinking and driving accidents will increase!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Well shit.

There goes my whole life.

Quoting radioheid:

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)