Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How is someone old enough to decide they'd give their life to defend their counrty but not old enough to...

Posted by   + Show Post

Drink a beer?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Replies (61-70):
thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM
I agree. The part of the brain responsible for decision making isn't fully developed until our early 20's. we shouldn't be making life altering choices before we're ready.

Quoting radioheid:

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

agreed! Pretty stupid in fact.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Mark Zuckerberg was only 21 when he created Facebook.  If we hold them back, they will...sit. I don't believe in making people wait until I think they're ready. What would be do with the entire population between high school and age 25 if we don't allow them responsibility and decision making opportunities?

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree. The part of the brain responsible for decision making isn't fully developed until our early 20's. we shouldn't be making life altering choices before we're ready.

Quoting radioheid:

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM
That would be... Early 20's. how about college? Part time jobs? Babysitting?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Mark Zuckerberg was only 21 when he created Facebook.  If we hold them back, they will...sit. I don't believe in making people wait until I think they're ready. What would be do with the entire population between high school and age 25 if we don't allow them responsibility and decision making opportunities?

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

Quoting radioheid:

*ducks & covers*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Until we parents coddled our children into extended childhoods, most young adults were married and holding down full time jobs and starting their families by the age of 18.

Quoting meriana:

Instead of wanting to  lower the drinking age, maybe the military enlistment age should be raised.

Some were but even back in the 17 and 1800's the majority of men didn't marry until around 20 yrs of age or older. Then there was that little thing between 1948-1973 called the draft which sent a lot of young men into the military right after graduation. They really didn't have time to find a job, they were given a military one. These days a lot of young men and women join the military due to the ability to get a college education, recruiters can make the military sound like quite an attractive option.  Very few, if any, recruiters talk about going to a war zone or possibly being killed and even if they did, most young people have that "it won't happen to me" attitude about pretty much everything including any negative aspects of drinking. As for the military, they really aren't making their own decisions, they are told what to do, when to get up, when to go to bed, when to eat, etc. etc. by someone with a higher rank.  Yep, some found full-time work and married at age 18 but I doubt it was the majority.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Yep.  Spent many years at Camp Pendleton.  I can attest to that rule.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Some bases have that rule... I know Okinawa does in Japan. Camp Pendleton does in CA as well.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I thought they could drink on base, or something. Most military I know were military when the drinking age was 18.

But I thought I had heard somewhere that it was legal to drink on base if you're active.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Uh-Rah

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Absolutely not true.

Camp Pendleton allows 18 year old Marines to drink on base. No rise in accidents and no rise in violence. So there goes your bullshit response.

Quoting dsebastian23:

Im sorry but I dont want a bunch of 18 year olds running around drunk cause you know damn well the drinking and driving accidents will increase!

livelaughlov26
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Because this country thinks the best way to demonstrate responsible drinking is to demonize it for 21 years and then say go at it just don't drink and drive. I believe in responsible drinking when that person is ready. I remember going to a doctor's appointment when i was 19 and going through the questions from the nurse. I don't smoke, am with one man, don't do drugs, healthy weight, etc. But when she asked about drinking and my response was a beer maybe every couple months she looked shocked. Seriously? I have my own damn apartment. I pay for all my bills along with my fiancee. I think i will survive. I am almost 22 now and i drink even less then that now. As a teen i used to go party and what not. My mom was so against drinking she would scream at my dad for having a beer. And he rarely drinks, i have never seen him drunk. Because there were people in her family with drinking problems she made it seem that alcohol was evil period. I had to find my balance. I will teach my son that alcohol when handled responsibly is normal to drink on occasion.

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Theres not much difference in an 18 yr old brain and a 21 yr old brain. The brains stops developing to its full potential at 25. So if a person is wiling to rish their life for their country than they should be looked as an adult at 18.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I don't know....and it drives me crazy!  We also trust them to vote!  Honestly, I would rather them be able to drink than vote.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN