Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is someone old enough to decide they'd give their life to defend their counrty but not old enough to...

Posted by   + Show Post

Drink a beer?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Replies (71-80):
PestPatti
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Quoting dsebastian23:

Im sorry but I dont want a bunch of 18 year olds running around drunk cause you know damn well the drinking and driving accidents will increase!

Hmm the only reason the drinking age is BACK up to 21 is because the Feds threatened the states back in the 80's.   Don't raise it, forfiet your money for roads....

I was legal to drink at 18, and the amount of DWI's hasnt changed.  Doesn't matter the age, some ass is going to think I can drive even though I have drank an entire case of beer in 20 minutes

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds pretty demeaning, honestly. I have one young adult in college but the other one simply wasn't ready for it yet. He chose to join the Marines on his own and while he's gotten a few college classes under his belt, he's also instrumental in keeping pilots safe and up in the air for their missions. He was one of the hard chargers shoving helo's off the ships that rescued civilians in Syria. I don't think he would be appreciative knowing that people think he's only smart enough to work part time at Target and/or babysit for the next 4 years. I guess I always kept raising the bar of expectations and they met it. Maybe raising that bar is what they NEED instead of lowering it!

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

That would be... Early 20's. how about college? Part time jobs? Babysitting?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Mark Zuckerberg was only 21 when he created Facebook.  If we hold them back, they will...sit. I don't believe in making people wait until I think they're ready. What would be do with the entire population between high school and age 25 if we don't allow them responsibility and decision making opportunities?

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree. The part of the brain responsible for decision making isn't fully developed until our early 20's. we shouldn't be making life altering choices before we're ready.

Quoting radioheid:

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Sounds like your son is a pretty awesome young man!  Tell him thank you for his service for me.  :-)

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sounds pretty demeaning, honestly. I have one young adult in college but the other one simply wasn't ready for it yet. He chose to join the Marines on his own and while he's gotten a few college classes under his belt, he's also instrumental in keeping pilots safe and up in the air for their missions. He was one of the hard chargers shoving helo's off the ships that rescued civilians in Syria. I don't think he would be appreciative knowing that people think he's only smart enough to work part time at Target and/or babysit for the next 4 years. I guess I always kept raising the bar of expectations and they met it. Maybe raising that bar is what they NEED instead of lowering it!

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Mark Zuckerberg was only 21 when he created Facebook.  If we hold them back, they will...sit. I don't believe in making people wait until I think they're ready. What would be do with the entire population between high school and age 25 if we don't allow them responsibility and decision making opportunities?

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree. The part of the brain responsible for decision making isn't fully developed until our early 20's. we shouldn't be making life altering choices before we're ready.

Quoting radioheid:

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting meriana:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Until we parents coddled our children into extended childhoods, most young adults were married and holding down full time jobs and starting their families by the age of 18.

Quoting meriana:

Instead of wanting to  lower the drinking age, maybe the military enlistment age should be raised.

Some were but even back in the 17 and 1800's the majority of men didn't marry until around 20 yrs of age or older. Then there was that little thing between 1948-1973 called the draft which sent a lot of young men into the military right after graduation. They really didn't have time to find a job, they were given a military one. These days a lot of young men and women join the military due to the ability to get a college education, recruiters can make the military sound like quite an attractive option.  Very few, if any, recruiters talk about going to a war zone or possibly being killed and even if they did, most young people have that "it won't happen to me" attitude about pretty much everything including any negative aspects of drinking. As for the military, they really aren't making their own decisions, they are told what to do, when to get up, when to go to bed, when to eat, etc. etc. by someone with a higher rank.  Yep, some found full-time work and married at age 18 but I doubt it was the majority.

My husband and son both defied parental wishes and joined the military and have successful careers...22 for my husband alone. Out of boot camp they're not making many decisions but the military is made up of very intelligent people and it wouldn't succeed otherwise! They actually encourage leadership and foster and train for it specifically. The military right now is primarily middle class kids whose parents lost the ability to pay for college. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Thank you very much! Not bad for a 21 year old! :)

Quoting eema.gray:

Sounds like your son is a pretty awesome young man!  Tell him thank you for his service for me.  :-)

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

eema.gray
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband was in the Army until they medically discharged him.  He wasn't ready to take college classes until he was 26.  But he has a Bachelors and he's back in school for an eventual career change now.  I certainly wasn't ready for college when I was a teen either.  But I'm back in school now myself in my early 30's.  I think we have a very short sighted view if we expect every teen to be ready for college as soon as they graduate high school!

Quoting Woodbabe:

Thank you very much! Not bad for a 21 year old! :)

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Yeah, I don't get that either.

kit_manson
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

The drinking age here is 19. I don't think we have any more drinking and driving incidents than normal.

Quoting dsebastian23:

Im sorry but I dont want a bunch of 18 year olds running around drunk cause you know damn well the drinking and driving accidents will increase!

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I will never agree to lowering the drinking age, for any one.

Over the past 15 years, I have seriously wondered why they don't up the enlistment age.

PestPatti
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I will never agree to lowering the drinking age, for any one.

Over the past 15 years, I have seriously wondered why they don't up the enlistment age.

Why ?   Are we supposed to shelter them until they're 30 or something.    My sons at 18 were both more than capable of making decisions that effected their FUTURE not mine.  One chose the military, the other chose college.  Both decisions are working well for them.  

As for the drinking age, I was legal at 18 to drink.  I thought it was ridiculous when they raised the drinking age.  Just the Feds wanting to push and threaten the states, some things never change.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured