Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How is someone old enough to decide they'd give their life to defend their counrty but not old enough to...

Posted by   + Show Post

Drink a beer?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Replies (81-90):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM
That was the initial change... Special Events only.

However it was later increased to base-wide and any occasion. (Although I think there is a restriction on it being just beer).

Quoting Woodbabe:

I agree that its bullshit and we've allowed our son to drink beer in our home since he graduated boot camp. I wasn't aware Camp Pendleton allowed underaged drinking because his friend was caught drinking in the barracks just last year and she was sentenced to 90 days confinement to quarters except for work and chow, and lost her chance at being promoted again.

Just checked...its only for special events, not every day.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/marine-corps-allows-some-on-base-underage-drinking/article_02a2520a-dbfc-531d-b74e-9fc45f4397eb.html

NORTH COUNTY - The Marine Corps has changed its rules on drinking to allow Marines as young as 18 to drink on Camp Pendleton and other Marine bases on special occasions, a decision that has been cheered by some Marines but has upset anti-drinking groups.

Last month, the commandant of the Marine Corps issued changes to the service's drinking regulations that allow Marines who are at least 18 years old to drink on base on occasions designated by commanders, including the popular Marine Corps birthday celebrations held in November and at welcome-home parties after combat deployments.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Agreed.

Not everyone matures at the same time or rate...

Quoting Woodbabe:

Mark Zuckerberg was only 21 when he created Facebook.  If we hold them back, they will...sit. I don't believe in making people wait until I think they're ready. What would be do with the entire population between high school and age 25 if we don't allow them responsibility and decision making opportunities?

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree. The part of the brain responsible for decision making isn't fully developed until our early 20's. we shouldn't be making life altering choices before we're ready.

Quoting radioheid:

IMO, 18-year olds shouldn't be voting, getting married or serving in the military, either. I think 21 should be the age of majority. I also don't believe in imposing a life sentence on anyone under the age of 21.

*ducks & covers*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM
;-)
Marine Wife here... Hubby is going on 9 years. I miss Pendleton!

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Yep.  Spent many years at Camp Pendleton.  I can attest to that rule.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Some bases have that rule... I know Okinawa does in Japan. Camp Pendleton does in CA as well.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I thought they could drink on base, or something. Most military I know were military when the drinking age was 18.

But I thought I had heard somewhere that it was legal to drink on base if you're active.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

That is the point I was making.  Legal doesn't equal responsible, specially with under developed brains...how then can we punish them as adults.

How can we allow 18 to be the age of sexual consent.  I think if we are going to keep drinking age at 21 then we should raise all things...let us not half ass the laws right?

All that said, I have no issue with drinking age being 18.  My point was is that we expect them to act and behave as adults, without allowing them some of the benefits of adult hood. It is a mixed message. 

Quoting EireLass:

Legal does not equal responsible. Not sure how old your kids are, or what age range you surround yourself with, or even if you can remember when you and your gang were 18. You'd know legal does not equal responsible. And I agree....voting....just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quoting katzmeow726:

Then they should not be charged as adults
they should not be considered the age of consent
They should not be voting
They should not be allowed to enter in to any contract, including military.

Quoting EireLass:

At 18, their brain is not finished. They are still very moldable, which makes it very easy for the military to impart what they need on the individuals. They are 'disposable', as typically the 18 year old does not have a famlily (wife, children, responsibilities). They are coming into their peak of strength, testosterone is running high. Most 18 year olds are not responsible. Under the guidance of the military, they don't necessarily have to be responsible, they only have to understand how to follow the rules.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

So, reading some of the replies, I realized something.  We don't really set the bar really high for our kids.  Actually, we set it pretty low.  I mean there are people here who think 18 year olds are only mature enough to work flipping burgers or baby sitting!  No wonder our kids aren't achievers.  There are countries around the world where they set the bar at a challenging height, and their kids want to reach it.  

We tailor society around the idea that our teens are just underachievers, and they got the message.  It is no wonder that so many countries are far ahead of us in many areas.  We don't push our kids, and so they do not push them selves.  I think that by handing them more responsibility (not necessarily a beer) that they could very well surprise us. 

We really expect far too little from our kids, and now we're seeing the results.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

:)

My father spent a significant amount of time between MCRD and Camp Pendleton.  They actually retired in Oceanside they love it so much.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

;-)

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Some bases have that rule... I know Okinawa does in Japan. Camp Pendleton does in CA as well.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I thought they could drink on base, or something. Most military I know were military when the drinking age was 18.

But I thought I had heard somewhere that it was legal to drink on base if you're active.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM
Awe! That's where we lived for 4 years... Then we were up in San Clemente for 2 more... Now we're in Texas but may end up at Miramar in 2014... :-)

Quoting GotSomeKids:

My father spent a significant amount of time between MCRD and Camp Pendleton.  They actually retired in Oceanside they love it so much.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

;-)

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting mommaoftwo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I love San Clemente.  It is gorgeous up there.  We were fairly close to Miramar when my father was at MCRD.  Hope you get it!!!!!

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Awe! That's where we lived for 4 years... Then we were up in San Clemente for 2 more... Now we're in Texas but may end up at Miramar in 2014... :-)

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

;-)

Quoting GotSomeKids:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting mommaoftwo:

Dabberdoo
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I've often said the same thing.  Our 21 age limit is stupid and I don't drink alcohol at all and wish nobody else did either.  But if you are old enough to die for my freedom, you are old enough to legally buy a beer.  Seriously.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I don't think kids should serve in the war either.  As for as alcohol, the liver isn't fully developed at 18./ ETA. The male liver is actually fully developed at age 18, but a female's liver isn't fully developed until age 21.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)