Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Consider This: (The SNAP/"Food Stamp" Program)

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems you can't log on to a news or social networking site these days without seeing a post about obesity, the healthcare crisis, welfare spending or complaints about schools' food restrictions (as they relate to obesity).

If the food stamp program operates through the Department of Agriculture, why aren't we giving food stamp recipients farm foods? Cartons of eggs, baskets of fruits and vegetables, fresh cuts of meat, blocks of cheese, gallons of milk, beans and nuts, jars of honey, etc? I realize some states have programs that allow food stamp recipients to use local farmers markets, but I think it would help the American people---the food stamp recipient, the taxpayer and the American farmer---much more if food stamps became food stamps again, something people use to buy healthy, American farm-raised food.

I don't think people would complain about food stamps if they could see the program's benefits. Instead, we're reminded that over 40 million Americans use food stamps while our farms are dwindling and obesity rates are rising, and meanwhile many food stamp recipients load up their carts with processed junk. When people are made to use their own money to buy junk food, they buy less of it. Nobody wll be telling people what they can and cannot eat, only that a program funded by the American taxpayer should be one that benefits all of American society. With the money a person earns, said person should be able to spend at his or her discretion.

Thoughts?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (271-280):
eema.gray
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM

No, I am talking about a re-constructed system which would specifically allow certain types of sales under certain conditions, perhaps through the state office itself.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

LoL you just described fs fraud.

Quoting eema.gray:

"The government shouldn't be expected to provide everything for everybody."

I'm saying that as someone who observes kashrut, BTW.  If, under the system that OP proposes, I am unable to satisfy the dietary requirements of my religion, I will have to meet those requirements some other way, either with what money I do have or by getting help through my synagogue.  It is not the government's responsibility to meet every need for all people, that is absolutely impossible.

If a system were put in place by which people received vouchers for so many pounds of these specified foods, I think it would also be practical to allow people to sell those foods which they will not use, a vegetarian being allowed to sell their meats in exchange for the produce and other foods they will naturally use much more of.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

No, they would have to respect people's religion, and culture as well. Vegetarians, vegans, and people who only eat kosher.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Do you mean to buy directly from the farmer?

ltamomma
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Well I am not scolding her and also its not like I feed them Hamburger helper a lot. We eat it about once a month and actually I have never used a bouillon cube I just know that you can use it to make a broth.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

lol

It's funny that you are *scolding* her about junk food and sodium and how you won't feed your kids ramen noodles, yet you feed them Hamburger Helper. Hamburger Helper and Bouillon cubes are loaded with sodium, fyi.

Quoting ltamomma:

I have been a FS recipient before and I did buy produce, wheat spaghetti, turkey meat , chicken , fish etc. Yes some healthier food in more expensive but there are some that are not. I do not consider the items I listed health food. I just consider it food. Today my family did eat hamburger helper but we had a small portion of the helper, salad and corn.It is not hard to feed your family when you are on FS. You just choose to feed them junk food, Do not eat frozen pizza make it yourself, it is not hard and it take just as long as baking a pizza , Ramon noodles have a ton of sodium in them and my child will never eat a pack of ram-en noodles, you can easily make them yourself. All it is is noodles, bouillon cube  and some small frozen veggies. Season it the way you want it seasoned. All it takes is time. I do not agree with the OP with what she says but when you say that it is cheaper to buy the processed foods then that is not true. You probably think you do not have time to actually cook a decent meal. You also said your child would starve if they did not eat sugary cereal . Seriously that's just you giving in. My four year old  does not eat cereal anymore, I do not have it in my house and I told her I will not buy it again. She asked me why and I told her because it does cost to much. I would rather make her a better breakfast. She loves oatmeal with a little honey in it and some fruit. I shop at Aldi and get some of my fruit its cheaper. She loves eggs and toast, french toast, pancakes etc. Oh and speaking of pancakes I bought a box of pancake mix for $1.87 I could not buy cereal for that much and make it last. There are better options then junk food. We cut out chips, candy, cookies, soda. We replaced it with apples, oranges, homemade cookies or other homemade desserts. All  you need to do is put a little effort into it. If my child did not eat what was on her plate that she just wont eat, she is four and she knows to eat what is on her plate. I am just glad she loves fruits and veggies , sweet potatoes etc. She is happy to do without the junk food.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been a FS recipient? Have you ever HAD to stretch those dollars to last you and your family an entire month? I am talking about PROCESSED foods vs. Produce. It is ALOT cheaper to make processed foods last. You can deny it all u want but that reality is there. Box foods, pizza's, spegetti are meals under $5. Ramen noodles. Very cheap. A poor person has a very limited budget they make last.  

Quoting radioheid:

This reply is so pathetic. Give people more credit. A candy bar costs a fucking dollar. You can find that walking down the damn street. Nobody is going to die without Ho-Ho cakes.

If every food stamp recipient in America spent 3 whole dollars a month on junk food, that junk food alone would cost the American taxpayers nearly a quarter of a BILLION dollars EVERY YEAR. Reality is that much more than $3 a month is going to junk food. Candy, cookies, snack cakes, frozen pizza rolls, ice cream, chips, soda, all of this is junk food. The average food stamp recipient spends closer to $20 a month on junk food. This brings the tally up to a billion dollars a year...on junk with practically no nutritional value, and tax dollars extended in the name of nutrition are footing the bill. Talk about government waste.

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Would never ever happen like that. The government would have to be able to regulate it to prevent fraud and people selling them for drugs and other things. There would have to be a computer system in place to regulate who gets what fs depending on many different things. One of those things is allergies. Creating a system like that costs money. Money that the tax payers don't want to spend. It's more cost effective for people to pick their own food instead of the government. The states have no control over whether people can buy soda or junk food. The federal government is the only one that can make that change. That's why when New York tried to stop people from buying soda the federal government stopped it.

Quoting eema.gray:

No, I am talking about a re-constructed system which would specifically allow certain types of sales under certain conditions, perhaps through the state office itself.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

LoL you just described fs fraud.

Quoting eema.gray:

"The government shouldn't be expected to provide everything for everybody."

I'm saying that as someone who observes kashrut, BTW.  If, under the system that OP proposes, I am unable to satisfy the dietary requirements of my religion, I will have to meet those requirements some other way, either with what money I do have or by getting help through my synagogue.  It is not the government's responsibility to meet every need for all people, that is absolutely impossible.

If a system were put in place by which people received vouchers for so many pounds of these specified foods, I think it would also be practical to allow people to sell those foods which they will not use, a vegetarian being allowed to sell their meats in exchange for the produce and other foods they will naturally use much more of.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

No, they would have to respect people's religion, and culture as well. Vegetarians, vegans, and people who only eat kosher.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

People would starve to death because they've become so dependant on pre-made,  processed food that they probably don't know how to cook real food! 

hismommy2010
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I did check. But thanks for assuming other wise...

One of the prescriptions i get, is for migraines. I get maxalt melting tabs. I get 9 of them a month. They are in individual tiny packages. Much like when you purchase headache pills from a gas station...

I checked the lable, on the walgreens bag and I looked at the individual package for the pill. ( they are identical, and I wasn't aware of that).

When i got home, and went to open one of them, that's when I noticed. They had given me the pill form and not the melting tab form. I can't take the pill form, because I puke with my migraines, so any pills or fluids that I take, I puke right back up.

I made sure to check everything with this prescription because of their errors in the past. But I've never gotten the pill form of this med, so I wasn't aware that they came packaged the same.....

try not to assume , it's really un-healthy ;)

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Every pharmacy I have used said you need to check your prescriptions before you leave.   If I couldn't pay for a replacement, I would certainly check.   Why didn't you?

Quoting hismommy2010:

The government doesn't want to correct anything, this is their plan... To keep digging our debt hole deeper and deeper...

Perfect example. I have health insurance, that isn't cheap at all. I need this health insurance due to medical issues that I have...

I take 3 prescriptions each month. One of my prescriptions cost A little over $500.00 for one month. My co-pay for that prescription is $40, insurance covers the rest... Walgreens filled my script this month, with the wrong form of the medicine. I'm supposed to get the tabs that melt on your tounge, NOT the pill form, because I will puke other wise... I didn't notice the mistake until I got home..

So  I called walgreens wanting to return the wrong meds THEY made the mistake of giving to me, for my correct meds... They said by law, they can't take back the pills, ( ok, I kinda get that for health reasons) but they also said I would have to pay for the prescription all over again. I called my insurance company to inform them. Because if you think about it, my insurance is paying the biggest part of these pills. So walgreens just made $1,000.00 off of THEIR mistake! And billed me and my insurance again...

I asked the insurance company how is this right? How is this legal? She agreed that it's messed up, but told me it's just one of those loops holes that there is no fix for....

mean while health care and insurance fee's continue to go up, and shit like this isn't making it any better!

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Good question.

Quoting Jcothrine:

gee...as a lactose intolerant vegetarian..what am i supposed to eat on your plan?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM
So you didn't actually check, you just assumed. Like I said, look at them before you leave.

Quoting hismommy2010:

One of the prescriptions i get, is for migraines. I get maxalt melting tabs. I get 9 of them a month. They are in individual tiny packages. Much like when you purchase headache pills from a gas station...

I checked the lable, on the walgreens bag and I looked at the individual package for the pill. ( they are identical, and I wasn't aware of that).

When i got home, and went to open one of them, that's when I noticed. They had given me the pill form and not the melting tab form. I can't take the pill form, because I puke with my migraines, so any pills or fluids that I take, I puke right back up.

I made sure to check everything with this prescription because of their errors in the past. But I've never gotten the pill form of this med, so I wasn't aware that they came packaged the same.....

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Every pharmacy I have used said you need to check your prescriptions before you leave.   If I couldn't pay for a replacement, I would certainly check.   Why didn't you?

Quoting hismommy2010:

The government doesn't want to correct anything, this is their plan... To keep digging our debt hole deeper and deeper...

Perfect example. I have health insurance, that isn't cheap at all. I need this health insurance due to medical issues that I have...

I take 3 prescriptions each month. One of my prescriptions cost A little over $500.00 for one month. My co-pay for that prescription is $40, insurance covers the rest... Walgreens filled my script this month, with the wrong form of the medicine. I'm supposed to get the tabs that melt on your tounge, NOT the pill form, because I will puke other wise... I didn't notice the mistake until I got home..

So  I called walgreens wanting to return the wrong meds THEY made the mistake of giving to me, for my correct meds... They said by law, they can't take back the pills, ( ok, I kinda get that for health reasons) but they also said I would have to pay for the prescription all over again. I called my insurance company to inform them. Because if you think about it, my insurance is paying the biggest part of these pills. So walgreens just made $1,000.00 off of THEIR mistake! And billed me and my insurance again...

I asked the insurance company how is this right? How is this legal? She agreed that it's messed up, but told me it's just one of those loops holes that there is no fix for....

mean while health care and insurance fee's continue to go up, and shit like this isn't making it any better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

They have. Plus the convenience (or so it's believed) has contributed to that dependence. A lot of Moms went back to work and would come home from a long 8 or 9 hour day and who wants to cook from scratch? Now, I am talking over the past few decades, too. Times could have very easily changed and workings Moms use the slow cookers, or whatever, to avoid the quicker processed garbage.

When I worked, I used my slow cooker A LOT. It was wonderful and I could still provide those home cooked, healthier foods for my family.

Truth--my son and my husband love Hamburger Helper and Dinty Moore canned beef stew. I don't buy it and every once in a while, they whine that they don't have it, but they prefer my "from scratch" more nutritious meals. Plus, it's just plain cheaper to cook from scratch.

Quoting Woodbabe:

People would starve to death because they've become so dependant on pre-made,  processed food that they probably don't know how to cook real food! 

hismommy2010
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

WOW! Who pissed in your coffee? Are you generally this cranky and uptight? Let me guess, you are single right?  lol!

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So you didn't actually check, you just assumed. Like I said, look at them before you leave.

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)