Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Consider This: (The SNAP/"Food Stamp" Program)

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems you can't log on to a news or social networking site these days without seeing a post about obesity, the healthcare crisis, welfare spending or complaints about schools' food restrictions (as they relate to obesity).

If the food stamp program operates through the Department of Agriculture, why aren't we giving food stamp recipients farm foods? Cartons of eggs, baskets of fruits and vegetables, fresh cuts of meat, blocks of cheese, gallons of milk, beans and nuts, jars of honey, etc? I realize some states have programs that allow food stamp recipients to use local farmers markets, but I think it would help the American people---the food stamp recipient, the taxpayer and the American farmer---much more if food stamps became food stamps again, something people use to buy healthy, American farm-raised food.

I don't think people would complain about food stamps if they could see the program's benefits. Instead, we're reminded that over 40 million Americans use food stamps while our farms are dwindling and obesity rates are rising, and meanwhile many food stamp recipients load up their carts with processed junk. When people are made to use their own money to buy junk food, they buy less of it. Nobody wll be telling people what they can and cannot eat, only that a program funded by the American taxpayer should be one that benefits all of American society. With the money a person earns, said person should be able to spend at his or her discretion.

Thoughts?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (281-290):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I have a complete understamding. The government gives food stamps. It doesn't have to provide a specific diet because you chose a religion.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Lmao and how you have no clue what this whole conversation has been about. Run along now newbie.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

You are the one talking about religion in a thread on limiting junk food, not me. People can receive what the government allows and buy everything else themselves regardless of their religion.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Where are you getting junk food from? I never said anything about junk food. Don't try and reply unless you read the entire conversation. Other wise you look stupid.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

What religion requires junk food?

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. There are laws that have to be followed and you can not discriminate just because of religion. Do you know how many lawsuits would be filed if they tried to implement what you are saying? Go read the constitution. It's right there. Regardless of someone's finanical status or need, you can't discriminate against their religion.

Quoting moneysaver6:

No.  Someone who is receiving charity doesn't get to dictate what that charity is.  It would be impossible for the government to be able to work around everyone's personal lifestyle choices...and it's not realistic to expect them to do so.

It would be reasonable to expect them to work around and provide alternate vouchers for allergies. 

Anything beyond that is the beggar (so to speak, of course) being a chooser.  If someone would like to adhere to specific dietary choices that have to do with their religion, culture, &/or personal lifestyle choices then they would have to go to their church, cultural center, or other private charities where they can request a different menu or alternate accomodations. 

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

No, they would have to respect people's religion, and culture as well. Vegetarians, vegans, and people who only eat kosher.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Allergies are the only work-around necessary for someone who is so destitute that they cannot even provide their own food. Beyond that, they'll just need to adjust until they are able to feed themselves again.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

The United States is a very diverse country. Different cultures eat different types of food. Some don't eat meat, some only eat seafood. Some don't eat dairy. There are also millions of different types of allergies and medical conditions. That's a ton of special circumstances to adjust your food plan to account for. It costs money to create a computerized system that will know to give certain vouchers to certain families to account for their individual needs. People are individuals, not everyone can fit into a food plan like that. It is more cost effective to allow each family to chose their own food, then to try and keep track of it. Another problem, is the economy. Those food stamps provide revenue for the stores they buy them in. That revenue goes down, and they start laying people off. More lay offs, more people on fs. It makes more sense to just put restrictions on what they can buy. It will never happen, but it makes more sense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Question--are you as snotty offline as you are online, or as you appear to be in this thread?

It's clear in what I've c&p'd from her comments that she DID check and was still surprised to find out that Walgreens has put the wrong medication in the bottle marked for the right medication.

This is not uncommon and sadly, this happens to a lot of elderly who have someone else pick-up their meds for them and don't know what to look for.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So you didn't actually check, you just assumed. Like I said, look at them before you leave.

Quoting hismommy2010:

I checked the lable, on the walgreens bag and I looked at the individual package for the pill. ( they are identical, and I wasn't aware of that).

When i got home, and went to open one of them, that's when I noticed. They had given me the pill form and not the melting tab form.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM
You told me I assumed something when I didn't. You didn't check your prescription.

Quoting hismommy2010:

WOW! Who pissed in your coffee? Are you generally this cranky and uptight? Let me guess, you are single right?  lol!

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So you didn't actually check, you just assumed. Like I said, look at them before you leave.

Quoting hismommy2010:

I did check. But thanks for assuming other wise...

One of the prescriptions i get, is for migraines. I get maxalt melting tabs. I get 9 of them a month. They are in individual tiny packages. Much like when you purchase headache pills from a gas station...

I checked the lable, on the walgreens bag and I looked at the individual package for the pill. ( they are identical, and I wasn't aware of that).

When i got home, and went to open one of them, that's when I noticed. They had given me the pill form and not the melting tab form. I can't take the pill form, because I puke with my migraines, so any pills or fluids that I take, I puke right back up.

I made sure to check everything with this prescription because of their errors in the past. But I've never gotten the pill form of this med, so I wasn't aware that they came packaged the same.....

try not to assume , it's really un-healthy ;)

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Every pharmacy I have used said you need to check your prescriptions before you leave.   If I couldn't pay for a replacement, I would certainly check.   Why didn't you?

Quoting hismommy2010:

The government doesn't want to correct anything, this is their plan... To keep digging our debt hole deeper and deeper...

Perfect example. I have health insurance, that isn't cheap at all. I need this health insurance due to medical issues that I have...

I take 3 prescriptions each month. One of my prescriptions cost A little over $500.00 for one month. My co-pay for that prescription is $40, insurance covers the rest... Walgreens filled my script this month, with the wrong form of the medicine. I'm supposed to get the tabs that melt on your tounge, NOT the pill form, because I will puke other wise... I didn't notice the mistake until I got home..

So  I called walgreens wanting to return the wrong meds THEY made the mistake of giving to me, for my correct meds... They said by law, they can't take back the pills, ( ok, I kinda get that for health reasons) but they also said I would have to pay for the prescription all over again. I called my insurance company to inform them. Because if you think about it, my insurance is paying the biggest part of these pills. So walgreens just made $1,000.00 off of THEIR mistake! And billed me and my insurance again...

I asked the insurance company how is this right? How is this legal? She agreed that it's messed up, but told me it's just one of those loops holes that there is no fix for....

mean while health care and insurance fee's continue to go up, and shit like this isn't making it any better!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM
So nobody actually opens the bottles but me to make sure it is the right one? People make mistakes all the time and if my life depends on those people, I am going to take the 30 seconds to open the bottle.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Question--are you as snotty offline as you are online, or as you appear to be in this thread?

It's clear in what I've c&p'd from her comments that she DID check and was still surprised to find out that Walgreens has put the wrong medication in the bottle marked for the right medication.

This is not uncommon and sadly, this happens to a lot of elderly who have someone else pick-up their meds for them and don't know what to look for.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

When i got home, and went to open one of them, that's when I noticed. They had given me the pill form and not the melting tab form.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Right then and there at the pharmacy? Generally no, not everybody opens the bottle up to ensure that it's the right medication and especially if it's one they normally get and particularly if it's been labeled wrong both on the printed information and the bottle.

Again, this is not an uncommon problem and it's an issue for some elderly and even shut-ins who rely on someone else to pick-up their medications for them.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So nobody actually opens the bottles but me to make sure it is the right one? People make mistakes all the time and if my life depends on those people, I am going to take the 30 seconds to open the bottle.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM
That's why they allow everyone to choose their own food. Not everyone eats the same foods. People are individuals and there's no way you can lump everyone together and say well you're only allowed to eat this. There's to many things to account for, so it's easier and more cost effective to let people choose their own. (Not talking about junk food, so don't get confused) They could however choose to regulate junk food and soda, but they don't.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I have a complete understamding. The government gives food stamps. It doesn't have to provide a specific diet because you chose a religion.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Lmao and how you have no clue what this whole conversation has been about. Run along now newbie.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

You are the one talking about religion in a thread on limiting junk food, not me. People can receive what the government allows and buy everything else themselves regardless of their religion.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Where are you getting junk food from? I never said anything about junk food. Don't try and reply unless you read the entire conversation. Other wise you look stupid.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. There are laws that have to be followed and you can not discriminate just because of religion. Do you know how many lawsuits would be filed if they tried to implement what you are saying? Go read the constitution. It's right there. Regardless of someone's finanical status or need, you can't discriminate against their religion.

Quoting moneysaver6:

No.  Someone who is receiving charity doesn't get to dictate what that charity is.  It would be impossible for the government to be able to work around everyone's personal lifestyle choices...and it's not realistic to expect them to do so.

It would be reasonable to expect them to work around and provide alternate vouchers for allergies. 

Anything beyond that is the beggar (so to speak, of course) being a chooser.  If someone would like to adhere to specific dietary choices that have to do with their religion, culture, &/or personal lifestyle choices then they would have to go to their church, cultural center, or other private charities where they can request a different menu or alternate accomodations. 

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

No, they would have to respect people's religion, and culture as well. Vegetarians, vegans, and people who only eat kosher.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Allergies are the only work-around necessary for someone who is so destitute that they cannot even provide their own food. Beyond that, they'll just need to adjust until they are able to feed themselves again.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

The United States is a very diverse country. Different cultures eat different types of food. Some don't eat meat, some only eat seafood. Some don't eat dairy. There are also millions of different types of allergies and medical conditions. That's a ton of special circumstances to adjust your food plan to account for. It costs money to create a computerized system that will know to give certain vouchers to certain families to account for their individual needs. People are individuals, not everyone can fit into a food plan like that. It is more cost effective to allow each family to chose their own food, then to try and keep track of it. Another problem, is the economy. Those food stamps provide revenue for the stores they buy them in. That revenue goes down, and they start laying people off. More lay offs, more people on fs. It makes more sense to just put restrictions on what they can buy. It will never happen, but it makes more sense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
The government moving to a more WIC type program like the OP suggested isn't telling people what to eat. It would be telling people what the government is willing to provide. Your food choices and likes and dislikes can be satisfied by purchasing those items the government no longer will provide.

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

That's why they allow everyone to choose their own food. Not everyone eats the same foods. People are individuals and there's no way you can lump everyone together and say well you're only allowed to eat this. There's to many things to account for, so it's easier and more cost effective to let people choose their own. (Not talking about junk food, so don't get confused) They could however choose to regulate junk food and soda, but they don't.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hismommy2010
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I did check.... So clearly you have a problem with being able to understand... They are NOT in  a bottle. They are each in their own seperate package, that is sealed. They are labled the SAME. Only difference is one is a pill that you swallow and the other melts on your tounge.....

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

You told me I assumed something when I didn't. You didn't check your prescription.

Quoting hismommy2010:

WOW! Who pissed in your coffee? Are you generally this cranky and uptight? Let me guess, you are single right?  lol!

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

One of the prescriptions i get, is for migraines. I get maxalt melting tabs. I get 9 of them a month. They are in individual tiny packages. Much like when you purchase headache pills from a gas station...

When i got home, and went to open one of them, that's when I noticed. They had given me the pill form and not the melting tab form. I can't take the pill form, because I puke with my migraines, so any pills or fluids that I take, I puke right back up.

I made sure to check everything with this prescription because of their errors in the past. But I've never gotten the pill form of this med, so I wasn't aware that they came packaged the same.....

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Every pharmacy I have used said you need to check your prescriptions before you leave.   If I couldn't pay for a replacement, I would certainly check.   Why didn't you?

Quoting hismommy2010:

The government doesn't want to correct anything, this is their plan... To keep digging our debt hole deeper and deeper...

Perfect example. I have health insurance, that isn't cheap at all. I need this health insurance due to medical issues that I have...

I take 3 prescriptions each month. One of my prescriptions cost A little over $500.00 for one month. My co-pay for that prescription is $40, insurance covers the rest... Walgreens filled my script this month, with the wrong form of the medicine. I'm supposed to get the tabs that melt on your tounge, NOT the pill form, because I will puke other wise... I didn't notice the mistake until I got home..

So  I called walgreens wanting to return the wrong meds THEY made the mistake of giving to me, for my correct meds... They said by law, they can't take back the pills, ( ok, I kinda get that for health reasons) but they also said I would have to pay for the prescription all over again. I called my insurance company to inform them. Because if you think about it, my insurance is paying the biggest part of these pills. So walgreens just made $1,000.00 off of THEIR mistake! And billed me and my insurance again...

I asked the insurance company how is this right? How is this legal? She agreed that it's messed up, but told me it's just one of those loops holes that there is no fix for....

mean while health care and insurance fee's continue to go up, and shit like this isn't making it any better!

Claire-Huxtable
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM
I read very well. I would still open one and check. But I do believe that you will now say that isn't possible. So I guess this is complete.

Quoting hismommy2010:

I did check.... So clearly you have a problem with being able to understand... They are NOT in  a bottle. They are each in their own seperate package, that is sealed. They are labled the SAME. Only difference is one is a pill that you swallow and the other melts on your tounge.....

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hismommy2010
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:41 PM

It's not in a bottle. It's 9 pills that are packaged seperately, in sealed packages... they are labled the same. only difference is one is in pill form that you swallow, and the other melts on your tounge.... yes i did check. there was no way to know, until i tore the package open. I was never aware that the two were labled the same.....

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN