Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Consider This: (The SNAP/"Food Stamp" Program)

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems you can't log on to a news or social networking site these days without seeing a post about obesity, the healthcare crisis, welfare spending or complaints about schools' food restrictions (as they relate to obesity).

If the food stamp program operates through the Department of Agriculture, why aren't we giving food stamp recipients farm foods? Cartons of eggs, baskets of fruits and vegetables, fresh cuts of meat, blocks of cheese, gallons of milk, beans and nuts, jars of honey, etc? I realize some states have programs that allow food stamp recipients to use local farmers markets, but I think it would help the American people---the food stamp recipient, the taxpayer and the American farmer---much more if food stamps became food stamps again, something people use to buy healthy, American farm-raised food.

I don't think people would complain about food stamps if they could see the program's benefits. Instead, we're reminded that over 40 million Americans use food stamps while our farms are dwindling and obesity rates are rising, and meanwhile many food stamp recipients load up their carts with processed junk. When people are made to use their own money to buy junk food, they buy less of it. Nobody wll be telling people what they can and cannot eat, only that a program funded by the American taxpayer should be one that benefits all of American society. With the money a person earns, said person should be able to spend at his or her discretion.

Thoughts?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (311-320):
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:59 AM

I'll answer...No, we have never been a food stamp recipient.  We ACTUALLY struggled.  We didn't have the government to pay our way.  We had a whopping $200/month to spend on ALL of our groceries; not just food.  We ate healthy, whole foods and cooked from scratch. 

I know from personal experience that it is MUCH easier to make healthy, whole foods stretch than it is processed convenience foods.   If we had pasta, it was made from scratch...from freshly ground grain.  If we had spaghetti, the sauce was made from tomatoes I grew.  Pizza was made from scratch w/homemade dough, homemade sauce, stretched-thin cheese & lots of veggies or pineapple.  We still eat this way for the most part.  To this day, I have never purchased ramen noodles.  I don't ever intend to. 

A TRUE poor person doesn't have someone else paying their bills.  They are doing it on their own.  And there are a lot of them out there.  They KNOW what it's like to struggle.  They MUST buy healthy, whole foods and learn how to cook them from scratch because their family doesn't eat if they don't.  They often have no choice but to grow much of their own produce in order to supplement what little they can buy at the store.

So...what was that you were saying again about having to stretch dollars?  How much do you get in food stamps?  (I don't actually expect you to answer that.)

Quoting ReginaStar:

Let me ask you a question. Have you ever been a FS recipient? Have you ever HAD to stretch those dollars to last you and your family an entire month? I am talking about PROCESSED foods vs. Produce. It is ALOT cheaper to make processed foods last. You can deny it all u want but that reality is there. Box foods, pizza's, spegetti are meals under $5. Ramen noodles. Very cheap. A poor person has a very limited budget they make last.  

Quoting radioheid:

This reply is so pathetic. Give people more credit.  Nobody is going to die without Ho-Ho cakes.

Quoting ReginaStar:

That might be find and dandy for those that get only a small fraction of food stamps and pay the rest themselves but just b/c a family has to literally survive on food stamps doesn't  mean they should have asshalt restrictions placed on them. It's just ugly to try to force what you think a person should be eating on a person. Do you want someone to control what your allowed to consume? Then why would you be hateful to do that to another just b/c a teeny tiny fraction of your dollar is paying for theirs?

Quoting romalove:
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Ah.  Yes.  We had such a stove.  It was a Kelvinator.  Remember that brand?  No?  Well that's because the last of them were made in the 1940's.  It was believed that this stove had been in the house since it was built in 1942.  We lived in this house for 3 years within the last decade.  LOL  Old stoves are an experience, aren't they?

Quoting eema.gray:

ETA:  I rent.  Old appliances, including a stove that should have been landfilled years ago but which maintanence keeps coming up and fixing instead.

Quoting ReginaStar:

A reminder poor people tend to have USED appliances. Meaning they don't keep as cold as YOURS probably do.

Quoting eema.gray:
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:49 AM

No she's not.  As has been pointed out to you, it IS possible to eat healthy and have that be cheaper than buying processed foods.  You're choosing to instead buy produce out of season and buy junk foods.  If you're spending your money, then that's fine.  You have that choice.  However, just because you have made that choice doesn't mean that it is more expensive for everyone to eat healthy than it is to eat processed foods. 

It is MUCH cheaper to eat healthy, whole foods than it is to eat processed foods if one is shopping sales and eating seasonally.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Oh you best believe I will buy what I want. But you living in shell somewhere if you think healthy foods are cheaper than proceed foods. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:15 AM

When mine started eating baby food, I gave her a wide variety.  If she didn't eat something the first time, I offered to her again...and again.  Eventually, she'd eat it.  I just figured her pallet was adjusting. 

Beyond that, as they got older, our rule has always been that they have to take at least 2 bites of everything on their plates.  If they want more of something (say mashed potatoes), then they may have it...if they are still hungry after they have finished everything on their plate.  They couldn't just take 2 bites of everything else and keep filling up on mashed potatoes.  They'd have to actually eat the rest first.  We have ALWAYS put the qualifier there, "if you are still hungry".  We always wanted them to know that you didn't just get seconds to get seconds.  You should only do so if you were still hungry. 

My kids each have one "I hate that" food that we won't make them eat even 2 bites of.  I cannot stand raw tomatoes (but will eat them cooked in foods).  One of my daughters agrees with me on that and that's her "I hate that" food.  One daughter HATES baked beans.  I do make her eat another protein instead when we have baked beans, but don't make her eat the baked beans. 

Quoting ReginaStar:

So for those of you that will let your children go with out if they don't eat the food you give them what did you do when they were infants? Did you just continue to feed them foods they didn't like? Did you force down them? Did you let them go without when they refused it? Gosh. I had one son who would only eat fruits, potatoes, carrots, and squash (baby foods). He would spit the rest out. I couldn't imagine letting him go without just b/c he didn't want anything else. 

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Mine was too.  He was appalled at how little I ate when we first got married.  I just hadn't been exposed to much.  My diet now is WORLDS different than when we met. 

Quoting romalove:

My husband was adamant about the kids being exposed to, and eating a lot of different foods.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM

According to what many say here on Cafemom and what I have experienced personally, people are giving far more in food stamps than they need.  There shouldn't be an issue with them eating healthy, whole foods even if they WERE more expensive and even if the only way they could pay was with food stamps.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Many people on FS even with income survive on FS alone. They have too. If it wasn't for the FS they'd literally starve are be homeless or something. My X MIL feed her kids tomato rice soup almost every night when her kids were little b/c that's all she could afford.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Um...

• Those who receive housing assistance ARE required to live only in certain areas &/or certain houses & apartments.
  • Those receiving grants ARE limited to certain colleges.  MOST schools are open to those receiving grants...but some are not.
  • Those receiving business grants can and most certainly ARE often limited to certain areas.  There are MANY variables that go into determining whether a business will receive a grant...and location is very much one of those variables.

Also...

• If you get a car loan, the car loan company can limit the type of vehicle you can get by requiring a certain type of vehicle, a certain set of years, under a certain amount of mileage, &/or setting a price limit.  They can also require a certain amount down.
  • If you get a mortgage, it doesn't apply to every house.  You can get a pre-approval upon your credit for A house...but then that individual house has to go through inspections and appraisals before the mortgage will be offered on THAT house.  If they say no...then you find another house or another source of funds.
  • Nevermind WIC and how it is run (which is how I think food stamps in general should be run).
Quoting ReginaStar:

Next are you gonna decide poor people should be allowed to live in certain places too? Are you gonna demand those getting grants for college should only be allowed in certain colleges? Those getting grants for business should only be allowed to locate in certain places, etc?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I have no idea of planning on limiting what people buy with money they earn. People aren't earning SNAP or WIC.

Take what they allow or earn more. You aren't entitled to stuff if the government decides to change SNAP. And this is a general you before you tell me you have no fs and have never used them and never will.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:44 AM

You make the time when you have no other choice.  It's about where you place your priorities.

We've frequently dealt with small spaces.  You store things on top of cabinets (if there is storage space there), on top of the fridge, under beds, in closets, under tables, etc...  Make sure you're making the best use of spaces under the sink & in your regular cabinets.  If you need to find the space...you usually can.  Even if you only have 4 kitchen cabinets.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Another problem your not thinking of. You mention making from scrap disregarding working families that don't have time to do this but also poor people have very limited storage space often very small kitchen with hardly any cabinets. Were would they store all these supplies they can keep for so long?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So why can't food stamps provide the stuff to make cakes? Most of those ingredients last a long time.
Quoting ReginaStar:

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:45 AM

No one is trying to stop anyone from buying any type of food with their own money.

Quoting ReginaStar:

No one is stopping you from buying what you want to eat. You shouldn't be stopping them from buying what they want to eat either. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Why should people that can't feed themselves not be limited? Life isn't fair and it isn't fair that others have less of what they earn so others can buy junk food.
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Then they learn.  It's what people do when they have no other choice sometimes.  You know the old saying, "practice makes perfect"!

Quoting ReginaStar:

Another issue with this is even though YOU may know how to survive off healthy only most poor families do not and it'd take far more than a class to teach that sort of lifestyle. 

Quoting romalove:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN