Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Consider This: (The SNAP/"Food Stamp" Program)

Posted by   + Show Post

It seems you can't log on to a news or social networking site these days without seeing a post about obesity, the healthcare crisis, welfare spending or complaints about schools' food restrictions (as they relate to obesity).

If the food stamp program operates through the Department of Agriculture, why aren't we giving food stamp recipients farm foods? Cartons of eggs, baskets of fruits and vegetables, fresh cuts of meat, blocks of cheese, gallons of milk, beans and nuts, jars of honey, etc? I realize some states have programs that allow food stamp recipients to use local farmers markets, but I think it would help the American people---the food stamp recipient, the taxpayer and the American farmer---much more if food stamps became food stamps again, something people use to buy healthy, American farm-raised food.

I don't think people would complain about food stamps if they could see the program's benefits. Instead, we're reminded that over 40 million Americans use food stamps while our farms are dwindling and obesity rates are rising, and meanwhile many food stamp recipients load up their carts with processed junk. When people are made to use their own money to buy junk food, they buy less of it. Nobody wll be telling people what they can and cannot eat, only that a program funded by the American taxpayer should be one that benefits all of American society. With the money a person earns, said person should be able to spend at his or her discretion.

Thoughts?

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Replies (321-330):
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM

And what of the many who HAVE lived it (with or without government assistance) and STILL feel the same as her?

Quoting ReginaStar:

You can think whatever you like. You are uneducated in the reality of the lower class. I will always say I think anyone who thinks like you should have to live it. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wanting nutrition isn't hateful. The idea that you think it is just shows how uneducated about nutrition you are and how entitled you think welfare America should be.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Not if you're buying junk food, you aren't.

Quoting Taurij1011:

Here's the thing, most ppl on food stamps tend to by the less healthy food more not simply because they choose to eat crap but because its cheaper! We treat our food stamps the same way someone with a small grocery budget with.
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Whole foods.  You really can't answer that question as a vegetarian?  Beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies.

Quoting Jcothrine:

gee...as a lactose intolerant vegetarian..what am i supposed to eat on your plan?

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I do!  Every. Single. Time.  If my heart medicine is incorrect, then it COULD mean my life.  I'm not taking chances.  I don't leave the pharmacy before verifying that what they have given me is correct.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So nobody actually opens the bottles but me to make sure it is the right one? People make mistakes all the time and if my life depends on those people, I am going to take the 30 seconds to open the bottle.
Quoting Lizardannie1966:
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I do!  Every. Single. Time.  If my heart medicine is incorrect, then it COULD mean my life.  I'm not taking chances.  I don't leave the pharmacy before verifying that what they have given me is correct.

And her medication would have been labeled as "sublingual" if it were the correct one.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Right then and there at the pharmacy? Generally no, not everybody opens the bottle up to ensure that it's the right medication and especially if it's one they normally get and particularly if it's been labeled wrong both on the printed information and the bottle.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So nobody actually opens the bottles but me to make sure it is the right one? People make mistakes all the time and if my life depends on those people, I am going to take the 30 seconds to open the bottle.
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:59 AM

It would have been labeled as "sublingual" somewhere on the package if it were the correct one.  (Just for future reference if you do check in the future.)

Quoting hismommy2010:

It's not in a bottle. It's 9 pills that are packaged seperately, in sealed packages... they are labled the same. only difference is one is in pill form that you swallow, and the other melts on your tounge.... yes i did check. there was no way to know, until i tore the package open. I was never aware that the two were labled the same.....

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:
Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I would imagine she will now, but like her, most people don't and will assume that when a medication has not only been labeled on the bottle but also on the bag that it's a specific medication--the RIGHT one--that this is what is in the bag.

What gets me here is that so many are applying what *you* do or might do in a situation without seeming to stop and realize that not everyone does the same.

A couple of you are acting as if SHE made the error when in fact, it was not her. It was Walgreens.

Too, there are many elderly and shut-ins who do not pick-up their own medications. They have someone else do it for them. This is not an uncommon problem that she has described and as much as you and Claire seem to wish to make her feel like a dumb shit for her error, the error rests with the pharmacy.

Quoting moneysaver6:

And her medication would have been labeled as "sublingual" if it were the correct one.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Right then and there at the pharmacy? Generally no, not everybody opens the bottle up to ensure that it's the right medication and especially if it's one they normally get and particularly if it's been labeled wrong both on the printed information and the bottle.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I didn't attempt to make anyone feel like anything over this issue. I was simply adding that I checked my meds as well.

I agree that the fault is with Walgreens. If I were her, I'd take it up the chain & demand, at the least, a refund of my $40. I'd threaten to transfer my meds to another pharmacy. Trust me, they'd rather lose her $40 once than her $500 every month.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would imagine she will now, but like her, most people don't and will assume that when a medication has not only been labeled on the bottle but also on the bag that it's a specific medication--the RIGHT one--that this is what is in the bag.

What gets me here is that so many are applying what *you* do or might do in a situation without seeming to stop and realize that not everyone does the same.

A couple of you are acting as if SHE made the error when in fact, it was not her. It was Walgreens.

Too, there are many elderly and shut-ins who do not pick-up their own medications. They have someone else do it for them. This is not an uncommon problem that she has described and as much as you and Claire seem to wish to make her feel like a dumb shit for her error, the error rests with the pharmacy.

Quoting moneysaver6:

I
do!  Every. Single. Time.  If my heart medicine is incorrect, then it
COULD mean my life.  I'm not taking chances.  I don't leave the pharmacy
before verifying that what they have given me is correct.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taurij1011
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Here's the problem. Healthy food are more expensive, I buy a lot of vegetables and fruits and I don't fry my foods often and try to cook healthy, sometimes I get a sweet tooth and will buy some junk, but that's after the stuff that's good for us is bought. I don't waste. I buy foods that with over all be good for my family. Just like a small budget, if there isn't enough for the junk or its not on a great sale, it's not bought! Simple. It would be too much work for the government, that they already complain about to go in and regulate ever household. I agree too many people waste but there are families like mine and others that don't abuse it! It was hard enough for me to even apply for the assistance.
KrazeeKatLady
by New Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM

What I hate about being poor is everyone assumes I am fat because they believe I overeat. I get $16 per month for foodstamps. I eat survival food like white potatoes, white rice (enriched), and bread. I don't even like those foods. I dream of the day when I am making even a fraction of what I used to earn. I am going to binge in the produce aisle. My favorite food fantasy is being able to set up a cot in the produce section of whole foods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured