Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox News Analyst: Deadly Meningitis Outbreak Demonstrates Need For Less Government Regulation

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

Fox News Analyst: Deadly Meningitis Outbreak Demonstrates Need For Less Government Regulation

Andrew Napolitano

On Fox News this afternoon, a conservative political analyst suggested the current outbreak of a rare strain of meningitisstemming from a Massachusetts-based compounding pharmacy’s contaminated steroid shots is the result of too much government regulation. Andrew Napolitano told host Neil Cavuto that the shots that exposed thousands of Americans to meningitis — and contributed to eight deaths — made it to the public market because insurance companies aren’t in charge of regulating drug production and distribution:

NAPOLITANO: It is well known that the state of Masachusetts is the most highly-regulated state in the union, with the government that is most in your face. It has a government that is physically present at the plants of the people and entities that they regulate…I don’t know if they have a person physically present in this facility, but they have the right to do so. So it is obvious that the state cannot keep its people — and others, when [the shots were] shipped outside the state — safe.

CAVUTO: So what’s the alternative?

NAPOLITANO: The alternative is to have insurance companies do the regulating because they would be on the hook.Hear me out. When someone is injured because the state drops the ball, the state can’t be sued. when someone is injured because an insurance company drops the ball, the insurance company can be sued. So you darn well believe that they are going to be certain that every batch of chemicals that is mixed in that facility is safe because if it is not, they are going to pay for it.

Watch it:

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah because insurance agents know all about medicines, chemicals and all the stuff that goes into these things and would be able to have people stand around and watch every step of every single employee in the making and processing of them. (sarcasm)

If that was even attempted the only thing that would happen is that a law would be passed that would exempt insurance companies from being sued just like how one cannot sue a pharmacutical company now.

Wife2AGeek
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM

He must be bought and paid for by insurance companies.  smh

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

First point.  Napalitano is a libertarian.  Second point.  He is correct.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I seriously doubt, they would have agents doing the monitoring.

Quoting meriana:

Yeah because insurance agents know all about medicines, chemicals and all the stuff that goes into these things and would be able to have people stand around and watch every step of every single employee in the making and processing of them. (sarcasm)

If that was even attempted the only thing that would happen is that a law would be passed that would exempt insurance companies from being sued just like how one cannot sue a pharmacutical company now.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM

You can sue pharm companies.

Quoting meriana:

asfriend
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
whereas you can't sue the Government, (god bless America, these people vote)

Quoting Carpy:

You can sue pharm companies.

Quoting meriana:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
10 moms liked this

We have centuries of evidence that when a company is faced with two choices, one is to make more money and two is to do the right thing for consumers and workers, the company will almost always side with making more money.  I don't trust companies to do the right thing and I don't trust insurance companies to enforce self imposed regulations.  Sometimes government intervention is a good thing.  Without government regulation we would still having preteen children working in factories and we would all be drinking contaminated water.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:45 AM
4 moms liked this

this, you can not trust the majority of big business to do the right thing. Oh and if Insurance companies cared so much about humans, they wouldn't deny coverage to individuals based on cost now would they.;

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

We have centuries of evidence that when a company is faced with two choices, one is to make more money and two is to do the right thing for consumers and workers, the company will almost always side with making more money.  I don't trust companies to do the right thing and I don't trust insurance companies to enforce self imposed regulations.  Sometimes government intervention is a good thing.  Without government regulation we would still having preteen children working in factories and we would all be drinking contaminated water.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I see his point.  It's fiscally responsible for a company to just do the right thing rather than face massive recalls and a class action lawsuit.  Not quite sure I fully believe it will happen like that, though.

nb34
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM
6 moms liked this

Insurance companies are the problem in this country and not the solution. They don't care about people, they care about money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)