Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox News Analyst: Deadly Meningitis Outbreak Demonstrates Need For Less Government Regulation

Posted by   + Show Post

Fox News Analyst: Deadly Meningitis Outbreak Demonstrates Need For Less Government Regulation

Andrew Napolitano

On Fox News this afternoon, a conservative political analyst suggested the current outbreak of a rare strain of meningitisstemming from a Massachusetts-based compounding pharmacy’s contaminated steroid shots is the result of too much government regulation. Andrew Napolitano told host Neil Cavuto that the shots that exposed thousands of Americans to meningitis — and contributed to eight deaths — made it to the public market because insurance companies aren’t in charge of regulating drug production and distribution:

NAPOLITANO: It is well known that the state of Masachusetts is the most highly-regulated state in the union, with the government that is most in your face. It has a government that is physically present at the plants of the people and entities that they regulate…I don’t know if they have a person physically present in this facility, but they have the right to do so. So it is obvious that the state cannot keep its people — and others, when [the shots were] shipped outside the state — safe.

CAVUTO: So what’s the alternative?

NAPOLITANO: The alternative is to have insurance companies do the regulating because they would be on the hook.Hear me out. When someone is injured because the state drops the ball, the state can’t be sued. when someone is injured because an insurance company drops the ball, the insurance company can be sued. So you darn well believe that they are going to be certain that every batch of chemicals that is mixed in that facility is safe because if it is not, they are going to pay for it.

Watch it:

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

oh my god...this is not good! what happened to the FDA? how in the FUCK disd this strain of menengitis even get in these pills to start with?!

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I think this guy's point, though, was that BECAUSE they care about money, they would make sure the drugs were safe so they wouldn't get sued.  Not to protect the consumer, but to protect their own asses.  I must say it's a good point.  Unless, like a PP suggested, a law is eventually passed to exempt the insurance companies from lawsuits.  Then we'd all be REALLY fucked. 

Quoting nb34:

Insurance companies are the problem in this country and not the solution. They don't care about people, they care about money.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM
2 moms liked this
This stems from a compounding pharmacy, not a typical pharmacy. I haven't seen if they have narrowed down the actual source of the bacteria yet, but I would assume that since the cases seem to be traceable back to the compounding pharmacy that the bacteria would likely be introduced during the compunding. That really has little if anything to do with drug manufacturers and everything to do with sterilization by this pharmacist. Nap's point is moot at best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

The radium girls, the exploding gas tanks in the Pinto, health hazards of cigarettes, and numerous cases of water polution from manufacturing and mining.  These are all examples off the top of my head of corporations covering up their wrongdoing to avoid lawsuits and bad publicity.  History repeats itself over and over again if we let it. They'd protect their own asses for sure, but it wouldn't always be ethical.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I think this guy's point, though, was that BECAUSE they care about money, they would make sure the drugs were safe so they wouldn't get sued.  Not to protect the consumer, but to protect their own asses.  I must say it's a good point.  Unless, like a PP suggested, a law is eventually passed to exempt the insurance companies from lawsuits.  Then we'd all be REALLY fucked. 

Quoting nb34:

Insurance companies are the problem in this country and not the solution. They don't care about people, they care about money.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM
The bacteria isn't in pills. It is in injections that were prepared at one specific compounding pharmacy. It *appears* the bacteria was introduced into the mix at this pharmacy.

Quoting D.O.E.:

oh my god...this is not good! what happened to the FDA? how in the FUCK disd this strain of menengitis even get in these pills to start with?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

still scary as fuck.

Quoting LauraKW:

The bacteria isn't in pills. It is in injections that were prepared at one specific compounding pharmacy. It *appears* the bacteria was introduced into the mix at this pharmacy.

Quoting D.O.E.:

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I thought there were no government regulations in the compounding facitilities as there are with the drug companies. and it was BECAUSE of the compound faciltities being UN-REGULATED that this catastrophe occured in the first palce.

Gesh- Fox News- must they always mixed up their facts and insert their own personal version of fiction? (rhertorical only!!!!!!)

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM

and it is my understanding that the FDA does not regulate pharmacies- so how does Fox news substantiate this platform of theirs?

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting D.O.E.:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Only if you purchased from this particular pharmacy. Which if I had I agree I would be freaking the fuck out.

Quoting D.O.E.:

still scary as fuck.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting D.O.E.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Smoke and mirrors, baby, smoke and mirrors. And pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

and it is my understanding that the FDA does not regulate pharmacies- so how does Fox news substantiate this platform of theirs?

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting D.O.E.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)