Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM
All of those are Nick shows.

I LOVE Disney! You should check out "Good Luck Charlie" on Disney. We watch that as a family and love it. It's a good one! We also watch "Phineas & Ferb", "Jessie", "A.N.T. Farm", "Austin & Aly", & reruns of "Wizards of Waverly Place".

I think all the ones I listed are good quality family shows. :-) and they're all on Disney!

I HATE Nickelodeon though!

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow.

Mulan is based on a REAL person.

And the "cross-dresser" joke is aimed at Mulan because she is dressing as a man to join the Chinese army... LOL!
My kids love that movie. It teaches a great lesson about being who you feel you are meant to be and having honor in that. Don't just sit around but stand up for yourself and be proud! GREAT movie!

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Where have you been? On the original " Little Mermaid" film the animators had a " Hay Day" and stuck in sexually suggestive backgrounds. Penis' come to mind. An outcry occured and it was pulled, and they had to do another Release, minus the suggestive backgrounds. Got to love those animators! I suspect a few were fired. Watch the movie " MULAN," Great story of China going to war and conscripting I member from each family across China. Mulan's family wants her to be meek and mild and get married, and shut her mouth. She is too outspoken. Her dad is sick, she cuts off her hair and sneaks into the Chinese army ( under penalty of death because she is a woman) to defend her family's honor. Nice story right? The ancestors that are floating around and sending a guardian to protect her also agrue amonst them. Nice story so far right? The ancestors argue and one ghost ancestor accuses another ghost ancestor of having an uncle that is a CROSS DRESSER! Now what the hell is cross dressing doing in a kids cartoon? Let alone Disney. I don't like Nick, not allowed to watch Nick at night, and Disney to my mind is suspect too WTH is right. Know what your kids watch!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I really dont care for most of the shows on Disney. 

Parents are hardly around and if they are, they are portayed as idiots and the kids are the ones doing the parenting. 

Moniker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Quoting muslimahpj:

I really dont care for most of the shows on Disney. 

Parents are hardly around and if they are, they are portayed as idiots and the kids are the ones doing the parenting. 

Exactly

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Antenna TV channel 33-2.  Some cable companies also carry it.  It is nothing but good wholesome TV.  And the shows teach a lot of the same sort of things as PBS, such as good morals, reading, math, science, etc, but it's all day long, whereas PBS in my area is over at 11:30.  I don't particularly care for the night owl shows, like heman and shera, mainly because there is some violence, and the characters are barely dressed.  But night owl starts at 9, which my kids are in bed for usually anyway, except sometimes on weekends, so it's not usually an issue.  Of the two stations, PBS  and Qubo, my kids choose Qubo, hands down.  My son comes at me with all sorts of information about the planets, and how water freezes, etc, and that started when he was 4 and we got rid of cable and switched to antenna.

Quoting Moniker:

I only wish I had done it sooner. What is Qubo? 

Quoting kailu1835:

Agree.  There's a lot on most shows that just seem overly violent or overly mature for the target audience.  A friend's kid was owatching iCarly the other day, and Gibby's pants fall down while on the Jimmy Kimmel show, and so half the show is spent discussing how his privates were seen on live TV.  The other half I wouldn't know, because I put my kids in the car and left (I was leaving anyway, I wasn't leaving over a silly tv show). 

It's gotten to where I don't even allow shows that are seemingly harmless, like Sponge Bob.  There is this constant fighting and bickering going on, someone is always getting hurt, etc etc.  Enough is enough.  My kids watch Qubo

babiesbabybaby development

Moniker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM

That sounds cool. I will look into that when we move. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Antenna TV channel 33-2.  Some cable companies also carry it.  It is nothing but good wholesome TV.  And the shows teach a lot of the same sort of things as PBS, such as good morals, reading, math, science, etc, but it's all day long, whereas PBS in my area is over at 11:30.  I don't particularly care for the night owl shows, like heman and shera, mainly because there is some violence, and the characters are barely dressed.  But night owl starts at 9, which my kids are in bed for usually anyway, except sometimes on weekends, so it's not usually an issue.  Of the two stations, PBS  and Qubo, my kids choose Qubo, hands down.  My son comes at me with all sorts of information about the planets, and how water freezes, etc, and that started when he was 4 and we got rid of cable and switched to antenna.

Quoting Moniker:

I only wish I had done it sooner. What is Qubo? 

Quoting kailu1835:

Agree.  There's a lot on most shows that just seem overly violent or overly mature for the target audience.  A friend's kid was owatching iCarly the other day, and Gibby's pants fall down while on the Jimmy Kimmel show, and so half the show is spent discussing how his privates were seen on live TV.  The other half I wouldn't know, because I put my kids in the car and left (I was leaving anyway, I wasn't leaving over a silly tv show). 

It's gotten to where I don't even allow shows that are seemingly harmless, like Sponge Bob.  There is this constant fighting and bickering going on, someone is always getting hurt, etc etc.  Enough is enough.  My kids watch Qubo

AMBG825
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM

I'm rolling my eyes. Apparently someone doesn't remember Family Ties and The Cosby Show that much.

Family Ties. If you are a girl who likes sports, you have to act and look like a boy. If you are a girl who likes typical girl things you're an airhead who can't function in society. Great message there. And half the episodes centered around the brother lying and cheating to get his own way.

The Cosby Show. Half the episodes follow Theo and Vanessa around as they lie and manipulate their way to meet people of the opposite gender, usually based on very shallow qualities to begin with. Then you have Denise who runs off and gets married in secret and decides she just doesn't feel like being a grown up and makes mom and dad raise her new daughter while her and her husband lounge around all day.

Great family values if you have no expectations for your daughters.

jenzachsam
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:41 AM

I hope you all are aware of how Elmo keeps referring to himself in the third person.  At least Mickey doesn't refer to himself in the third person.

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I pay $5 a month for a kids channel package...the only channel she watches is the one that plays Full House...she also watches the Golden Girls, Mork and Mindy...Little House on the Prarie...I think she only watches Phineas and Ferb and Spongebob? But TV shows really have no impact on how she acts or what she does educationally. If she wants to watch something educational she knows where to find them ;-)

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Quoting jenzachsam:

I hope you all are aware of how Elmo keeps referring to himself in the third person.  At least Mickey doesn't refer to himself in the third person.

I am not sure how Elmo referring to himself in third person is any better or worst than Mickey Mouse? I mean children have parents to correct any off behaviors?

Ask me about SoyLicious Candles!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured