Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It doesn't bother me.

TexasWife
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

This was also posted in MC. I watch disney jr with the kids.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

It's not so much the shows as the ads.  For which reason we don't get cable at all and watch our shows on Netflix (yes, some are off Nick).

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I think if what I grew up watching, and I'm hardly concerned about the Disney Channel. By the way, while I'm perfectly fine with it, both shows you cited (Family Ties and Cosby) portrayed working moms, whose career was as important as their kids. In the case of the Cosby show, lots of double entendre between the parents, and both shows featured male teens who pursued and got plenty of action. Both featured teen girls who were kind of slutty with Denise secretly marrying and Mallory being portrayed as easy and moronic. Of course, they were just comedies. More importantly, they were just TV shows. TV shows have one job only - pull in advertising revenue.

Why not just buy DVDs of the shows you think are acceptable - that would seem to be the obvious solution and it's not even that expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I don't have cabel. It is curious though with many of the fairytail princess cartoons. They all seem to have the same theme of a damsel in distress waiting for a price charming to rescue her from her miserable life. I haven't seen any of the newer ones from the last 10 or so years so maybe the themes have changed. I stick to the Disney animal stories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rowdys.Mommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I only like Nick JR and PBS

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM

we really dont watch tv but what you just said is the reason we dont have cable-lol. the kid channels we have are good... pbs, & qubo. although i do let them watch a superhero cartoon show on netflicks... its like super friends... or something along that reguared.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Sprout has excellent programming for little kids.

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Doesn't bother me but I also can just turn it off when I do not. 

mamoore83
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Maybe those other shows are ok for older children but my son is 9 and all those shows are about kissing and how your life is miserable with out a boy/girlfriend.  I don't remember seing an episode of these type of shows where the family unit is not disfunctional.  The parents or kids themselves never really show an example of what I want my children to become.  In Jessie the parents are never there, and Wizards is showing how not doing well in school is cool and if you try you're a geek and those parent's are not any better than the kids.  I've never seen Austin and Aly and have no problems with ANT farm and phineas and ferb. 

That being said I do allow my son to watch these shows because I know what he is learning at home and around grandparents etc.  Since my son could understand I have always told him that it doesn't matter what other people said or did WE don't act like that, and when ever he had questions about the stuff that was said or done I would explain to him in appropriate terms. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

All of those are Nick shows.

I LOVE Disney! You should check out "Good Luck Charlie" on Disney. We watch that as a family and love it. It's a good one! We also watch "Phineas & Ferb", "Jessie", "A.N.T. Farm", "Austin & Aly", & reruns of "Wizards of Waverly Place".

I think all the ones I listed are good quality family shows. :-) and they're all on Disney!

I HATE Nickelodeon though!

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured