Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (41-50):
lga1965
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Meh, my daughter likes iCarly, Victorious, etc.  I laugh so hard when ever Drake and Josh are on.

I've never seen any behavior issues, or otherwise, in my children stem from any of the shows.

I love Drake and Josh and ICarly. But I really do think some Disney Shows are way too hyper and too loud. My grandkidds don't watch very many of them. But I don't believe in censoring anything for kids unless they are inappropriate shows and I don't think they are inappropriate.Just loud.LOL.

I don't think TV causes behavior issues either. I just can't understand why some say they don't have cable or don't even have a TV. Its sort of isolating.

But, remember Moms, Sesame Street and other good kids' shows are not on Cable. They're on regular TV. :-)

Ms.Poppins
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM
AGREE! That's why we watch nothing but PBS, Baby Einstein, and Praise Baby. On a side note.....how about Frankenweenie? UGH!! I obviously won't be watching it, but that whole idea of that being a KIDS MOVIE just freaks me out.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM
You've obviously never seen the shows I mentioned if you think they're for older kids and about "kissing" or "boyfriends & girlfriends" LOL!

My 3 year old LOVES A.N.T. Farm & Jessie... And my 5 year old loves Good Luck Charlie & thinks wizards are cool so he loves Wizards of Waverly Place! So no they're not for older kids. They are for the family of all ages.

But hey we each have a remote to change the channel when we don't like what we see...

I'd rather my kids watch Disney than Nick ANY day.

Quoting mamoore83:

Maybe those other shows are ok for older children but my son is 9 and all those shows are about kissing and how your life is miserable with out a boy/girlfriend.  I don't remember seing an episode of these type of shows where the family unit is not disfunctional.  The parents or kids themselves never really show an example of what I want my children to become.  In Jessie the parents are never there, and Wizards is showing how not doing well in school is cool and if you try you're a geek and those parent's are not any better than the kids.  I've never seen Austin and Aly and have no problems with ANT farm and phineas and ferb. 

That being said I do allow my son to watch these shows because I know what he is learning at home and around grandparents etc.  Since my son could understand I have always told him that it doesn't matter what other people said or did WE don't act like that, and when ever he had questions about the stuff that was said or done I would explain to him in appropriate terms. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

All of those are Nick shows.

I LOVE Disney! You should check out "Good Luck Charlie" on Disney. We watch that as a family and love it. It's a good one! We also watch "Phineas & Ferb", "Jessie", "A.N.T. Farm", "Austin & Aly", & reruns of "Wizards of Waverly Place".

I think all the ones I listed are good quality family shows. :-) and they're all on Disney!

I HATE Nickelodeon though!

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
How old are you?

The original Frankweenie is from 1984. CUTE Family movie :-)

I'm taking my kids to see the re-make this weekend! They are 5, 3, & 10 months. :-D

Quoting Ms.Poppins:

AGREE! That's why we watch nothing but PBS, Baby Einstein, and Praise Baby. On a side note.....how about Frankenweenie? UGH!! I obviously won't be watching it, but that whole idea of that being a KIDS MOVIE just freaks me out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM
You know; one of the greatest thing I did as a parent, was to get rid of the TV and cable when my kids were young. While, I did bring back the TV in later years it was only set-up to run DVD movies. Which we would watch ever so often. I made my girls read (which is what happend to me)

Now, content of the shows were only a small part of the reasons why I cancelled TV in our house. The main reason is simply; happiness, I've have found, no matter your race or income, the more kids (and adults) watch TV the less happy they are, and more depress, so I think the less TV the better.

Your job as a parent isn't to find ways to make your happy; but, to provide the wisdom to your kids so that they can become happy individuals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM
4 moms liked this
Some of you are really uptight.

Here's an idea... Pick up the remote and change the channel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I like Disney junior for my kids.
mommynac
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

It's the reason I don't have cable.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Meh, my daughter likes iCarly, Victorious, etc.  I laugh so hard when ever Drake and Josh are on.

I've never seen any behavior issues, or otherwise, in my children stem from any of the shows.

I love Drake and Josh and ICarly. But I really do think some Disney Shows are way too hyper and too loud. My grandkidds don't watch very many of them. But I don't believe in censoring anything for kids unless they are inappropriate shows and I don't think they are inappropriate.Just loud.LOL.

I don't think TV causes behavior issues either. I just can't understand why some say they don't have cable or don't even have a TV. Its sort of isolating.

But, remember Moms, Sesame Street and other good kids' shows are not on Cable. They're on regular TV. :-)

Oh yes, I agree.  Loud, indeed.  There are many shows I can't stand, that annoy me and the like.  But overall, the shows my girls watched when they where little and some of the ones my 12 year old watches don't really bother me.

I used to be pretty stingy with what they watched on television.  I censored, I suppose.  I guess I still do, in a way.  But not like I did.  

Now, a show like SOA, no way in hell am I going to let my 12 year old watch that one.  She has seen a few episodes while at her dad's and didn't kill her but I just don't think she needs to watch that on a regular basis. lol  

I can understand not having cable for monetary issues.  We are stuck with a little, local company and it is expensive because they know we are stuck with them. lol  But other than that, I would die without my football, Nascar, Once Upon A Time and some other shows. lol

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Some of you are really uptight.

Here's an idea... Pick up the remote and change the channel.

I heart you.

That is all.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)