Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (51-60):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

How old are you?

The original Frankweenie is from 1984. CUTE Family movie :-)

I'm taking my kids to see the re-make this weekend! They are 5, 3, & 10 months. :-D

Quoting Ms.Poppins:

AGREE! That's why we watch nothing but PBS, Baby Einstein, and Praise Baby. On a side note.....how about Frankenweenie? UGH!! I obviously won't be watching it, but that whole idea of that being a KIDS MOVIE just freaks me out.

Hell, my 18 year old wants to see that movie. lol

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

None of the content on Disney and Nick bother me. I don't take it seriously and its purely for entertainment in this house. I'm not one of those parents who think tv should be preschool.

emelymac
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM
I have real things to worry about then some children's TV show. I teach my children that shows are for entertainment only. Any lessons that they need to learn I teach them myself. My children know what's appropriate and what isn't because I taught them those things. So when they see something on TV that they shouldn't do they don't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moniker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Quoting emelymac:

I have real things to worry about then some children's TV show. I teach my children that shows are for entertainment only. Any lessons that they need to learn I teach them myself. My children know what's appropriate and what isn't because I taught them those things. So when they see something on TV that they shouldn't do they don't do it.

TV has a real influence. Exposing kids to anything influences them. If you don't think tv is influential all I can say is, you're fooling yourself. There's billions of dollars in the advertising industry that suggest otherwise.

alliesaurus
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

oh i totally agree!!!!

Mom2Phoenix2011
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I have many friends and family that think I am nuts, we do not have regular TV, my son has watched very few things on Netflix and Hulu and most are all educational about animals planets history and things like that. He is only 14months old and I do not intend on allowing him to watch most things. I do allow him to watch Dinosaur Train, and movies that I hand pick. There are to many shows that teach children that it is okay to be rude, disrespectful and mean to adults and each other. Besides TV is not supposed to be on all the time it is not a babysitter get someone to watch your kids that are going to be involved with them or be involved with your kids. IMO there are to many kids that are raised by TV and not their parents.

Stevie, I am the proud mom of Phoenix, and the proud wife of Boston My OTR Trucker.  

mommy425906
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I only my kids to watch the Sprout channel

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM

My kids aren't old enough or interested in the live action stuff yet. We are still in the My LIttle Pony and Strawberry Shortcake phase. I do know you can't escape this stuff. My niece was home-schooled and lived in a house where the only tv came from a Christian satellite channel group...But she is STILL obsessed with Hannah Montana, probably more because it is contraband.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
We don't watch much non-cartoon shows from either channel. The most I've seen is the Imagination Movers and The Fresh Beat Band. I don't know what we'll do when they outgrow the 'toons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emelymac
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I am well aware that TV is influential. However as a parent it is my job to teach my children what are the right and wrong behaviors. Plenty of people watch television on a daily basis whose behaviors are not effected by what they see. That includes children. Some of you parents give the television way too much power over your lives. I grew up watching what is now considered horrible children's programs. Not once did I try to emulate the violent or stupid behavior I saw. And in the 12 years of my children watching Nick and Disney they haven't either. Is society becoming so weak minded that even a simple television show can have disastrous effects on a person?

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting emelymac:

TV has a real influence. Exposing kids to anything influences them. If you don't think tv is influential all I can say is, you're fooling yourself. There's billions of dollars in the advertising industry that suggest otherwise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)