Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (61-70):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Tonight my son and I are going to watch Halloween.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM
I can't stand sprout. They have too many commercials and I think the between show shows are obnoxious.

I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask, or care, so apologies for my unsolicited opinion.

Quoting mommy425906:

I only my kids to watch the Sprout channel

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy425906
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM

No I can't stand the in between stuff either! All the hosts are super annoying!! LOL

I guess I should have clarified my comment better. We set certain shows on Sprout to record on our dvr - Caillou, Thomas, Berenstein Bears, Sesame St, and their bedtime shows. Then they watch stuff from the dvr list.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I can't stand sprout. They have too many commercials and I think the between show shows are obnoxious.

I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask, or care, so apologies for my unsolicited opinion.

Quoting mommy425906:

I only my kids to watch the Sprout channel

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

AGREE.  I like that you said "words fail me".  That's how I feel when I'm trying to explain to my 8-yr-old daughter why I don't want her watching that crap.  She just doesn't understand why it's bad and I can't figure out how to explain it to her without calling the characters on the shows obnoxious sluts. 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

UGH have you ever been subjected to "Jessie"?  That show makes me want to punch my television.  My daughter is NOT allowed to watch it. 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Okay, "Good Luck Charlie" is funny, and decent, but as the OP pointed out, the parents are "incompetent buffoons" and the family members are constantly lying to each other!  What does that teach?  And "Jessie"?  BARF.  All those girls are snobby, stuck-up little princesses. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

All of those are Nick shows.

I LOVE Disney! You should check out "Good Luck Charlie" on Disney. We watch that as a family and love it. It's a good one! We also watch "Phineas & Ferb", "Jessie", "A.N.T. Farm", "Austin & Aly", & reruns of "Wizards of Waverly Place".

I think all the ones I listed are good quality family shows. :-) and they're all on Disney!

I HATE Nickelodeon though!

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM
HaHa!

Well I heart you too!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Some of you are really uptight.

Here's an idea... Pick up the remote and change the channel.

I heart you.

That is all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM
My husband is a Tim Burton fanatic. :-)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

How old are you?

The original Frankweenie is from 1984. CUTE Family movie :-)

I'm taking my kids to see the re-make this weekend! They are 5, 3, & 10 months. :-D

Quoting Ms.Poppins:

AGREE! That's why we watch nothing but PBS, Baby Einstein, and Praise Baby. On a side note.....how about Frankenweenie? UGH!! I obviously won't be watching it, but that whole idea of that being a KIDS MOVIE just freaks me out.

Hell, my 18 year old wants to see that movie. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM
This was said wonderfully.

I agree!

Quoting emelymac:

I am well aware that TV is influential. However as a parent it is my job to teach my children what are the right and wrong behaviors. Plenty of people watch television on a daily basis whose behaviors are not effected by what they see. That includes children. Some of you parents give the television way too much power over your lives. I grew up watching what is now considered horrible children's programs. Not once did I try to emulate the violent or stupid behavior I saw. And in the 12 years of my children watching Nick and Disney they haven't either. Is society becoming so weak minded that even a simple television show can have disastrous effects on a person?

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting emelymac:

I have real things to worry about then some children's TV show. I teach my children that shows are for entertainment only. Any lessons that they need to learn I teach them myself. My children know what's appropriate and what isn't because I taught them those things. So when they see something on TV that they shouldn't do they don't do it.

TV has a real influence. Exposing kids to anything influences them. If you don't think tv is influential all I can say is, you're fooling yourself. There's billions of dollars in the advertising industry that suggest otherwise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM
That's your opinion.

It shows kids from different backgrounds all adopted and ONE family... They lean on one another and love one another. I like watching Jessie. :-)

And I think Good Luck Charlie is a good representation of a middle class American family... Eh. I like it too!

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Okay, "Good Luck Charlie" is funny, and decent, but as the OP pointed out, the parents are "incompetent buffoons" and the family members are constantly lying to each other!  What does that teach?  And "Jessie"?  BARF.  All those girls are snobby, stuck-up little princesses. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

All of those are Nick shows.

I LOVE Disney! You should check out "Good Luck Charlie" on Disney. We watch that as a family and love it. It's a good one! We also watch "Phineas & Ferb", "Jessie", "A.N.T. Farm", "Austin & Aly", & reruns of "Wizards of Waverly Place".

I think all the ones I listed are good quality family shows. :-) and they're all on Disney!

I HATE Nickelodeon though!

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)