Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (71-80):
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM
LOL!

We record a lot too. It's so nice on Saturday mornings that way.

Quoting mommy425906:

No I can't stand the in between stuff either! All the hosts are super annoying!! LOL

I guess I should have clarified my comment better. We set certain shows on Sprout to record on our dvr - Caillou, Thomas, Berenstein Bears, Sesame St, and their bedtime shows. Then they watch stuff from the dvr list.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I can't stand sprout. They have too many commercials and I think the between show shows are obnoxious.

I'm sorry, I know you didn't ask, or care, so apologies for my unsolicited opinion.

Quoting mommy425906:

I only my kids to watch the Sprout channel

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myboysRmyhero
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Idk we dont really watch disney or nick that often or less its spongebob most of the time is cartoon network or less its sat morning or a weekday that school is out then from the time ds gets up till about 1ish it LPB then in the evening its cartoon network again!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I find that there's much to be desired in the "kid" shows that are aired as of late. 

I grew up on 90's Nickelodeon cartoons and shows (and some of Cartoon Networks "Cartoon Cartoons") and while they had their own set of vulgarities and just... not good things... lol... There was usually still a moral to the story (I always thought Hey Arnold! was a great show for teaching morals) and I can't seem to find that in today's shows. Just a bunch of random hullabaloo. I'd rather my boys watch what I grew up with than the stuff they have now. 

Although I have noticed that Nick and Disney seems to be aiming more at tweens with shows like iCarly, Hannah Montanna, etc... I don't see many cartoons on Nick anymore.

I never really watched Disney much, with the exception of Even Stevens. lol

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

AleaKat
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Totally disagree!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I disagree. These shows are not detrimental.

Chicken soup in a toilet bowl is disgusting, but so are a lot of things tweens/teens think up. I have three boys, I know this. My guess is that the chicken soup was part of the iCarly show portion of the program and the point of that is to do really out there stuff.

On Cosby, lest we forget, Dad was often (usually) portrayed as an incompetent and a buffoon. Mom was a control freak who everyone feared (Dad had to sneak a sandwich if he wanted one). The kids lied regularly. Same for Family Ties. I grew up with both of these shows, I certainly remember.

On Family Ties, Alex was a greedy, grasping boy with few redeeming characteristics. If he hadn't been played by the really, really likable Michael J. Fox, the character would not have worked at all. Mallory was dumb as a box of rocks and generally portrayed as sexually available (slutty, if you prefer).

What these shows and all the teen/tween shows have in common is that at the end of each episode, we see that lying or doing the wrong thing leads to more problems, which could have been avoided by just coming clean and dealing with the consequences.

That is the formula by which the half hour comedy works. I've never seen a episode where doing the wrong thing is rewarded, though to be honest, I've not seen all of the episodes of any of these shows.

So, yes, my older boys watch these shows. My oldest shouts at the TV to just tell the truth already! But mostly, they laugh as they are fully aware that TV and reality have different rules overall.

If you choose for your kids not to watch these, fine. That is your choice as a parent.

But don't act like you are morally superior than those of us who let them have some entertainment that you personally disapprove of. Lighten up.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Wow...I hope your family doesn't lie to each other all day long just to avoid owning up to a mistake.  And I'll be damned if my little girl talks and acts like the girls on Jessie.  Good luck to you. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

That's your opinion.

It shows kids from different backgrounds all adopted and ONE family... They lean on one another and love one another. I like watching Jessie. :-)

And I think Good Luck Charlie is a good representation of a middle class American family... Eh. I like it too!

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Okay, "Good Luck Charlie" is funny, and decent, but as the OP pointed out, the parents are "incompetent buffoons" and the family members are constantly lying to each other!  What does that teach?  And "Jessie"?  BARF.  All those girls are snobby, stuck-up little princesses. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

All of those are Nick shows.

I LOVE Disney! You should check out "Good Luck Charlie" on Disney. We watch that as a family and love it. It's a good one! We also watch "Phineas & Ferb", "Jessie", "A.N.T. Farm", "Austin & Aly", & reruns of "Wizards of Waverly Place".

I think all the ones I listed are good quality family shows. :-) and they're all on Disney!

I HATE Nickelodeon though!

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting Mipsy:

What shows on Disney do you not like? The only stuff we watched were the Jr shows on both really.

Disney Jr and Nick JR aren't that bad. The shows I'm referring to are, iCarly, Victorious, Zeke and Luther, Drake and Josh, etc. 

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

My husband cringes when a show comes on Nick.  In fact he does not want the kids to watch that channel anymore.

Some of the stuff on disney are gatting a little questionable also.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Some of y'all crack me up!

Watching 20 minutes of a show on tv isn't going to cause your kids to go into therapy... Good Grief.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM
They're just like the shows I watched on nick when I was growing up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Which is why my kids only watch elmo.

Quoting NinaJean:

Honestly, I think most of the content is absurd. Using fake or vulgar words and not teaching kids anything of value for the most part. I can't even stand looney tunes anymore, because instead of just being ridiculous as it was when I was growing up, the content is much more adult, or dark and vulgar. 

It's just sad that shows think they have to resort to that crap to keep an audience.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured