Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of the content on Disney and Nick ?

Posted by   + Show Post

I blocked them from my tv today. I think they're horrible, really words fail me. The characters on the shows are rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature etc. They're completely lacking of any good qualities. icarly's chicken soup in a toilet bowl, comes to mind. The parents when there are any present are incompetent buffoons. Family life is so small and insignificant. They don't promote family lifestyle at all. I remember family shows in the past, that  emphasized the importance of family and portrayed parents as wise, helpful, capable and loving like Family Ties and The Cosby Show. 

Agree or Disagree? 

If you couldn't tell I think these type of shows are really detrimental. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Replies (81-90):
Ms.Poppins
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I am 22 :) I had no idea it was a remake! I have never heard of it until now lol I just thought the previews looked a little morbid, but that was just my first impression. I am going to look into the original one and see what its all about. I learn something new on CM every day!
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM

LOVE them.  We watch Disney all morning or Nick Jr.  They have my preschoolers and 6yr olds favorite shoes.  I don't fine any rude, shallow, dishonest, vulgar, manipulative, immature anything on their shows.  

ICarly isn't even on anymore anything you see is repeats just an FYI.   I find all the shows promote family life that is the jist of ICarly by the way.  The father was in the military and Spencer did everyone within his power to keep the family together by helping to raise Carly.

So 100% DISAGREE

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM
LOL! I figured it was "before your time"... No biggy! Hubby and I are big Tim Burton fans :-)

Quoting Ms.Poppins:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I am 22 :) I had no idea it was a remake! I have never heard of it until now lol I just thought the previews looked a little morbid, but that was just my first impression. I am going to look into the original one and see what its all about. I learn something new on CM every day!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simply_Janeen
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Actually, if I remember right, they're referring to Mulan. It was something to the line of, "And your granddaughter is a cross dresser!" I think the uncle line was about something else. I tend to have the closed captioning on when I watch movies. Granted, it took me a few times of watching Mulan to figure out they were talking about her in that line. I don't think I caught it the first time either.

A lot of stuff I once thought was for kids, I found to be not so much for kids, even stuff I watched as a kid myself. Annie, is one movie that comes to mind and it's not really a kids' movie, it might be PG but there's some stuff in there that I was kind of surprised to see, definitely didn't recall that when I was younger! Another one is a show I used to love as a kid, Punky Brewster. Watching it as an adult, I came to realize how awfully sad that show is!

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Where have you been? On the original " Little Mermaid" film the animators had a " Hay Day" and stuck in sexually suggestive backgrounds. Penis' come to mind. An outcry occured and it was pulled, and they had to do another Release, minus the suggestive backgrounds. Got to love those animators! I suspect a few were fired. Watch the movie " MULAN," Great story of China going to war and conscripting I member from each family across China. Mulan's family wants her to be meek and mild and get married, and shut her mouth. She is too outspoken. Her dad is sick, she cuts off her hair and sneaks into the Chinese army ( under penalty of death because she is a woman) to defend her family's honor. Nice story right? The ancestors that are floating around and sending a guardian to protect her also agrue amonst them. Nice story so far right? The ancestors argue and one ghost ancestor accuses another ghost ancestor of having an uncle that is a CROSS DRESSER! Now what the hell is cross dressing doing in a kids cartoon? Let alone Disney. I don't like Nick, not allowed to watch Nick at night, and Disney to my mind is suspect too WTH is right. Know what your kids watch!

Venae
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Beats the hell out of Cartoon Network.  When it first started, they showed Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry.  Now there are the most digusting "cartoons" I've ever seen.  My kids were barred from Cartoon Network long ago and thankfully, are too old now to watch it.

anime.princess
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Well, these days the shows featured on Teen Nick shows as much tits and ass as shows intended for more mature audiences.  I have mixed feelings about this, though.  Well, here's a snapshot from "Victorious", and I'll let you guys be the judge if this is ok on a show aimed at younger viewers or not:

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM
We don't do nick mainly because I'm afraid Spongebob will come on if I step out of the room. He makes me gag. But Disney is pretty safe. Though we stick to Disney jr and phineas and ferb. Every so offer good luck charley. But my girls prefer watching Chip n dale rescue rangers on DVD. :)
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM
As a family we watch Good Luck Charlie. our kids watch ANT Farm, Phinias & Ferb, from Disney.

Spongebob is ok here. My kids don't watch much else from Nick.

But our favorite show as a family is Once Upon A Time. But we haven't had time to watch any of this season yet!!! It's waiting on our DVR!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM

My kids are nearly grown now, but we never allowed those channels---or cartoon network or anything.  We watched Veggie Tales tapes and quality children's shows if we watched anything at all.

I think television is a tool of Satan.  Too much indoctrination towards a worldly viewpoint. 

popomill
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I don't have TV right now, just Netflix, and I'm actually glad. My niece comes over and watches some shows that are on the Disney channel, I'm not sure if they are still on, like the Wizards of Waverly place or this other one about two twins that become kings, they are so dumb. And she just sits there for hours glued to the TV (And so naturally, my 4 year old wants to be too, and he NEVER watches TV). My son was watching some Scooby-doo show before we got rid of the TV and it was so scary for him it gave him nightmares! And it was SO adult! The kids were running away to get married and Fred's mom was murdered or something real crazy. I couldn't believe it. I'm not saying every show has to be educational, but don't make the shows dumb the kids down, or take a show that the parent's watched at a young age and turn it super scary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN