Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Mom For Medicaid....heres why..

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

I am not on medicaid.I am lucky enough to have blue cross blue shield medical insurance through my husbands job.

I do however have a young cousin who is 22 and disabled that I care for in my home.She too is also very lucky.She has help from medicaid to help with all her medical costs.She can be cared for properly and get her doctor visits and medicines that could never be afforded without it.

I also have a best friend who has a wonderful 8 year old son who happens to have autism.Without medicaid she would never be able to care for him as a single mom.

My question is what are your thoughts on medicaid and goverment health insurance.Are the moocher lazy stigmas a one size fits all when it comes to truelly needing government assistance?Do you think medicaid should be cut despite disability needs.....oh well tough luck...not my problem.If so what can moms like myself do as resources to care for children with special needs?

You see its not about a good debate.....its about life happens.

~A Mom For Obama

~Tia

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Replies (201-210):
nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

See my take is this, all the people who are against any form of PA don't know what's it's like to need assistence.  Once they have something happen to them, then they will be screaming for it.

I was only on food stamps for 6 months way back in the day when my son's father went on strike, they helped immensely and i got off them as soon as he went back to work and we stabilized.  I have been lucky to have never really needed it, but for most people, it is true you are only as good as the savings you have.  Once it runs out and still nothing got much better, what would you do then???

Trust me, the will be screaming for it.  

PortiaRose
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Please tell me you're just being flippant. Because your attitude is not of one who has ever had an unfortunate circumstance, in which you could not gain control.

Please tell me you're saying all of this for the sake of the argument. Because what your saying is scary and sad.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Not going to happen. Rock solid career fields. But thanks anyway.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You wouldn't if you or SO lost their job tomorrow though.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Of course I care, but I have great insurance :-)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay so you are selfish great now what happens tomorrow if one of the below circumstances ends up being you?? Would you care then??

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

All of those things are sad. Really, it's sad, and I feel bad that sad things happen. Too bad. *Shakes head*

Ok, now honestly that's it, right there above. That's all I care, that 30 seconds it took to type that. Over it now. I'm still going to go about my day, buy my groceries, gas up my car and go home to my family. I don't care enough to want to "help" strangers. My family is covered as far as health insurance goes. At the end of the day, that's all that *I* really care about. I don't want to doll out dollars to anyone else. It is not the government's job to take care of you, not in a capitalist society.
Quoting fullxbusymom:

You #1 Welfare has been around since the great depression in 1935...right???

You also know that before it was established that if you couldn't afford food or medical care you DIED right???

Nope you are wrong Insurance is private and not going to drop even a dime if the gov't drops helping its citizens that are in need.

Also what do you purpose for the disabled that can not work?? Like my BIL who was walking down the St. minding his business and got hit by a drunk driver and lost his leg. He now can't work, so what should he do?? Not eat, go to all his dtrs appts or have a place to live??

What about the family that had it all and lost their job and now have no insurance or income??

What are your solutions to help these people??

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well for one if we got rid of it then prices for care would go down as well as the price for private insurance.

Second it is everyone responsibility to take care of themselves and their family on their own. In the old days if you could not afford it then you did not get it. There was no credit cards and no Ill pay you laters.

Because everything was better in the "old days," right?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

There are crazy people in every country. Just keep that in mind.

As for American's. I think we are an incredibly generous people as a whole. We give and we help each other. It's a nice society. American's have a different work ethic and mindset on work than a lot of other countries as well. We do not get as much vacation time and work far more hours in general. So, with that mindset we look at those who do not seem to be doing their part. Who do not seem to be trying to better themselves or society. Add in the fact that most people who actually NEED assistance do not broadcast it. So the only people you know of on PA are those who seem to embody the worst characteristics in a person. Lazy, entitled, etc. It is certainly reasonable that as a society we would resent supporting those people.

Personally, I complain about taxes because I see what is being done with them and none of it seems to be positive. My city alone seems to squander tax dollars on stupid, worthless stuff at a surprising rate. So, I do complain about the amount of taxes I pay. They could do more, but they don't. That's the government to blame. I voted down a recreation center in my city, which we desperately need as it's impossible to do outdoor activities here in the winter, because the way I've seen the city manage other public enterprises has shown me that giving them control of a billion dollar facility is like throwing money in the trash.

I feel like I've gone off topic. Guess I'll just stop before I write a book.

Oh, most people do happily and freely give to charity just FYI. Giving makes people feel good and we give a whole heck of a lot. We just like to pick who we give to. We like to know we are giving to someone who needs it. That's the difference between my giving and my resentment of paying taxes. My taxes are just being squandered and I hate it.

Quoting turtle68:

We all hate paying taxes....its just a fact of working life.  Ultimately it is to protect a comfortable way of life.

Australia has some of the biggest taxes in the world....we get taxed on everything, this year they added Carbon Tax...it is unbelievable the amount of taxes we pay. 

One year we paid nearly 50K in taxes.

But that is all on paper...we earnt nearly 250K, got 20K in refund, had nearly 24k paid into our superannuation fund (on top of our wages).  Paid out just under 5K in private health insurance for a family of 8.  We are still well above the poverty line...even after those great taxes.

I didnt and dont sit there and mull over how my 50K was contributing to lazy arsed people or scam artists getting sickness benefit when they arent sick etc etc.  No I think about my aging father who contributed to the tax system for decades getting his free dentures and hearing aids, a pension along side his super, his pension card that gets him discounts.  My epileptic / asthmatic son who can recieve all kids of health and support plans.  whos meds are only a couple of dollars.  My niece who's husband died suddenly and how she can still comfortably live and pay off her home because she can work and better herself while on welfare because the government raised the amount of non taxable income to 18K...and gives her a free tertiary education.

The mindset of some US citizens mindboggles me.

Quoting Stephanie329:

This bears repeating.

Quoting turtle68:

I find it really sad that people are being brainwashed into just being selfish.  Taxes are evil, taxes arent fair, taxes are my money.

Why dont you want a working society where healthcare is a given, being sick doesnt mean dying, that you dont have to be gummy and deaf when you are old.

Im not talking about ...yeah I can have that because of was smart enough to plan for it....not everyone is like that, not everyones life is peachy keen. 

Why is it so hard to not think of only you and yours?

The_Doodle
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I fully support PA and Medicaid. When we lost our insurance when I was 4 months pregnant, Medicaid ensured that I and my unborn daughter got the care we needed. My doctors were able to catch my preclampsia and DD's IUGR early. By 35 weeks, my BP was spiking to the point that my reflexes were starting to freak out and I was getting into seizure mode. Had it not been for the help we received, me and my daughter could very well be dead. It pisses me off so bad when DH's and my mothers talk about how Medicaid should be dropped. I don't think they realize they wouldn't have a graddaughter if that was the case. Any type of charity or assitance will be abused by someone, somewhere. There is no getting around it. Hell, I have known people who live in extremely nice neighborhoods who dress in their really old and ratty clothes and go get food from food banks. Them abusing it does not make the absolute need for these things by people who are truly struggling null and void.

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Girl-stop talking all that common sense stuff.... lol

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Ok, but you don't HAVE to take a shit job. You have the option of getting an education and bettering yourself or switching to a higher paying career field. Even if you work at Walmart or Target, you can get a bachelors in business and move up the management ladder. Same with places like McDonalds, where not only do you have the option, but they provide scholarships to aid you in your quest.

Quoting nb34:

Yeah, I don't see anything great when millions of people who work still can't afford health insurance. Most jobs pay shit with no benefits. The curse of capitalism, that is.

Quoting pamelax3:

How is she exactly? Just curious! America is a great country, I just think Americans are getting tired of people not taking care of themselves and their families

Quoting nb34:

No you are not alone. Unfortunately there are too many like you in this country. That's exactly why America is where it is now. Not so great anymore, is it?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:v

Just being honest, and quite frankly I know I'm not alone. If it doesn't affect me directly, I don't really care other than an "awww, that's too bad".

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM
If only really caring about my own friends and family at the end of the day, other than surface sympathy, makes me a scary and sad person in your view, then I guess I'm guilty. I still sleep well at night. It doesn't effect my day at all if people talk shit about me and quote me like this. I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Quoting PortiaRose:

Please tell me you're just being flippant. Because your attitude is not of one who has ever had an unfortunate circumstance, in which you could not gain control.

Please tell me you're saying all of this for the sake of the argument. Because what your saying is scary and sad.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay so you are selfish great now what happens tomorrow if one of the below circumstances ends up being you?? Would you care then??

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

All of those things are sad. Really, it's sad, and I feel bad that sad things happen. Too bad. *Shakes head*

Ok, now honestly that's it, right there above. That's all I care, that 30 seconds it took to type that. Over it now. I'm still going to go about my day, buy my groceries, gas up my car and go home to my family. I don't care enough to want to "help" strangers. My family is covered as far as health insurance goes. At the end of the day, that's all that *I* really care about. I don't want to doll out dollars to anyone else. It is not the government's job to take care of you, not in a capitalist society.
Quoting fullxbusymom:

You also know that before it was established that if you couldn't afford food or medical care you DIED right???

Nope you are wrong Insurance is private and not going to drop even a dime if the gov't drops helping its citizens that are in need.

Also what do you purpose for the disabled that can not work?? Like my BIL who was walking down the St. minding his business and got hit by a drunk driver and lost his leg. He now can't work, so what should he do?? Not eat, go to all his dtrs appts or have a place to live??

What about the family that had it all and lost their job and now have no insurance or income??

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well for one if we got rid of it then prices for care would go down as well as the price for private insurance.

Second it is everyone responsibility to take care of themselves and their family on their own. In the old days if you could not afford it then you did not get it. There was no credit cards and no Ill pay you laters.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
There are other people seeing this, right? Am I being dramatic, or is this some sort of personality disorder?

Can some mental health field mom chime in, here?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

If only really caring about my own friends and family at the end of the day, other than surface sympathy, makes me a scary and sad person in your view, then I guess I'm guilty. I still sleep well at night. It doesn't effect my day at all if people talk shit about me and quote me like this. I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I hope you never need disability, medicare, etc.

Quoting ambermario4ever:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:
I know plenty about history. And with the way the economy is going and the fact that our money becomes more worthless every day we will be bartering for things again any way. There should be no pa that is my opinion.

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have 120lbs to lose in 14 months....Can I do it by changing my diet and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

NoahsCoolMama
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Nope it is in place to help the people that need it. My husband has a job that offers insurance we afford it for himself and I but can't for the kids so we have medicaid for them because of how expensive the insurance is.

Same here!!! I work for State Government and have a $5000 deductible with my insurance for my family. I have my son on Medicaid, because if he were to fall and break something or get seriously sick, I do not have $5000 lying around in the bank. I carry medicaid as a secondary insurance for my son.

makelineerror
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Quoting ambermario4ever:

Because we have a savings. We just can't afford the monthly payment for insurance on our monthly budget. And we would set up a payment plan if we ever had to go to the er. And I always pay for any doctor visit up front before they even see the doctor. And we don't go to the doctor in less we have to and the kids are never sick. I pay for my bc out of pocket every three months. We pay for hubbies eye app. Out of pocket. And the kids haven't been to the doctor in years for anything.

My sister had a savings, too. It was completely wiped out when she had a heart attack last year. And she still owes money.

It's all fine and good to say "Oh, my children are healthy, so we can pay for doctor's visits out of pocket because they don't get sick", but what do you plan to do if your little boy falls and breaks his leg? Or your daughter gets a kidney infection? Or if you get cancer? Or any number of the "it can't happen to me" situations that many people find themselves in?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN