Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Mom For Medicaid....heres why..

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

I am not on medicaid.I am lucky enough to have blue cross blue shield medical insurance through my husbands job.

I do however have a young cousin who is 22 and disabled that I care for in my home.She too is also very lucky.She has help from medicaid to help with all her medical costs.She can be cared for properly and get her doctor visits and medicines that could never be afforded without it.

I also have a best friend who has a wonderful 8 year old son who happens to have autism.Without medicaid she would never be able to care for him as a single mom.

My question is what are your thoughts on medicaid and goverment health insurance.Are the moocher lazy stigmas a one size fits all when it comes to truelly needing government assistance?Do you think medicaid should be cut despite disability needs.....oh well tough luck...not my problem.If so what can moms like myself do as resources to care for children with special needs?

You see its not about a good debate.....its about life happens.

~A Mom For Obama

~Tia

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Medicaid Eligibility - An Overview of Medicaid Eligibility and Benefits

Understanding Your State's Medicaid Program

From Michael Bihari, MD, former About.com Guide

Updated April 02, 2010 

Medicaid Eligibility - What Is Medicaid?

On July 30, 1965, President Lyndon Johnson signed into law an amendment to the Social Security Act that created the Medicaid program.

Medicaid is an insurance program for low-income and needy people that provides health-related coverage for children, many seniors, and/or people who are blind or have other disabilities. The program is jointly funded by the Federal government, all fifty states, and the District of Columbia.

Each state runs its own Medicaid program, and a federal agency known as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) monitors the programs in each state and sets standards for how the programs are managed and financed.

A Dr. Mike Medcaid fact: More than 58 million Americans (about 20% of the population) are enrolled in a Medicaid program.

Some states have named their Medicaid program including, for example, "Medi-Cal" in California, "MassHealth" in Massachusetts, "Oregon Health Plan" in Oregon, and "TennCare" in Tennessee.

Who Is Eligible for Medicaid?

Federal Requirements
The federal government requires each state to cover certain mandatory groups of people in the Medicaid program. These categories include children, pregnant women, very low-income parents, the elderly, and people who are blind or disabled.

Eligibility among these categories of people varies by income. For example:

• Children under age six with family incomes up to 133% of the federal poverty level
  • Children ages 6-19 with family incomes up to 100% of the federal poverty level
  • Pregnant women with family incomes up to 133% of the federal poverty level
A Dr. Mike definition: Federal Poverty Level - At the beginning of each year, the federal government releases an "official" income level for poverty. This amount is the minimum yearly income that an individual or family needs to be able to provide for basic needs such as food and housing. The actual dollar amount changes each year and varies based on the number of people in a family. The Federal Poverty Level is used to determine someone's eligibility for government programs such as Medicaid.

Health Reform and Medicaid

If you or your children are currently enrolled in the Medicaid program in your state, it is unlikely that you will notice any changes in your benefits or where you receive care due to the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (health reform) in March 2010.

The health reform law will expand Medicaid eligibility to include all Americans under age 65 with incomes up to 133% of the federal poverty level. This would include children, pregnant women, parents, and adults without dependent children. To pay for this expansion, the federal government will provide your state with additional Medicaid funds starting in 2014.

The federal government will also provide funds for increase payments to primary care doctors, including family physicians, internal medicine physicians, or pediatricians. This may make it easier for you and other people enrolled in Medicaid to find a primary care doctor.

State Options
Your state has the option to increase the federal income limits to allow more people to qualify for Medicaid. This includes low income children, parents, and pregnant women whose family income is above the federal cutoff levels. Your state can set whatever income limit it considers appropriate.

For example: In New York, children under age one year and pregnant women are eligible for New York's Medicaid program with family incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level (instead of the federal cutoff of 133%).

The states can also enhance eligibility for some nursing home residents, people with disabilities who work and have incomes above the federal limit, and medically needy people who require institutional care and have incomes that are too high to qualify for Social Security Insurance.

However, federal law prevents states from making anyone eligible for Medicaid. For example, the states cannot offer Medicaid coverage to adults who don't have children living with them and who are not disabled or elderly no matter how poor they are. States can apply to the federal government for a waiver to allow enrollment in special programs.

What Are the Medicaid Benefits?

Federal Requirements
The federal government requires each state to cover certain health-related benefits. These are known as mandatory benefits and include:

• physician, nurse midwife, and nurse practitioner services
  • laboratory and x-ray services
  • inpatient and outpatient hospital services
  • early and periodic screening, diagnostic, and treatment (EPSDT) services for children, teens, and young adults under age 21
  • family planning services and supplies
  • services provided in community health centers and rural health clinics
  • nursing facility services for people age 21 and older

State Options
Your state can provide coverage for additional health-related services that are approved by the federal government. These so-called "optional" services may include:

• prescription drugs
  • dental care
  • eye glasses and vision care
  • mental health services
  • home health services
  • case management
  • rehabilitation services such as physical therapy
  • hospice care

To make sure that your child receives these services, your state must make you aware of the EPSDT program available, as well as provide transportation and, if you request, help with scheduling appointments.

Where Can I Find Information About My State's Medicaid Program?

Since each state and the District of Columbia offer different Medicaid-related services and programs, it is important for you to understand what your state's eligibility requirements are and what you can expect if are eligible.

The website of the National Association of State Medicaid Directors has an interactive map that will connect you to the site of your state's Medicaid office.

If you are interested in a detailed list of the benefits offered by each state, the website of the Kaiser Family Foundation has information about the benefits covered, copayments, and those services that may be limited in some way or require permission to use.

Interesting info.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Quoting slashteddy:

No not everything but a lot of things where. And we will be better off as a country without public insurance and pa.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

nb34
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM
12 moms liked this

No we won't be better off as a country, only those who can afford insurance and medical bills are going to be better off. The rest will die. Plain and simple. There is nothing good about people dying because they can't afford health insurance. It is ugly and inhumane, and so are those who advocate it.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting slashteddy:

No not everything but a lot of things where. And we will be better off as a country without public insurance and pa.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I think it depends on the situation. If a disable child/adult needs the help then yes they should get! But for all the people who say my dh makes good money but we can not afford insurance no they should not! It is a program for the poor and needy! Not the lazy and moochers!  It is also in place for the people who fall on hard times, not the ones that want to keep going to school as an excuse not to go to work .

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:13 PM

How do people who work hard but can't afford the skyrocketing cost of insurance NOT qualify as needing it? 

Quoting pamelax3:

I think it depends on the situation. If a disable child/adult needs the help then yes they should get! But for all the people who say my dh makes good money but we can not afford insurance no they should not! It is a program for the poor and needy! Not the lazy and moochers!  It is also in place for the people who fall on hard times, not the ones that want to keep going to school as an excuse not to go to work .

Salsacookies
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well for one if we got rid of it then prices for care would go down as well as the price for private insurance.

Second it is everyone responsibility to take care of themselves and their family on their own. In the old days if you could not afford it then you did not get it. There was no credit cards and no Ill pay you laters.

and that's exactly why Obama is putting a healthcare bill into action. people should not have to suffer simply because they can't afford health insurance. everybody should have the right to healthcare.

asfriend
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:18 PM
You honestly seem like a good person, just grossly uninformed.

We have the worst economy since the Great Depression, driven there by Obama. If surviving off Government scraps is what one aspires to then by all means stay a mom for Obama, if you think that we can do better, well, we can.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Hi,

I am not on medicaid.I am lucky enough to have blue cross blue shield medical insurance through my husbands job.

I do however have a young cousin who is 22 and disabled that I care for in my home.She too is also very lucky.She has help from medicaid to help with all her medical costs.She can be cared for properly and get her doctor visits and medicines that could never be afforded without it.

I also have a best friend who has a wonderful 8 year old son who happens to have autism.Without medicaid she would never be able to care for him as a single mom.

My question is what are your thoughts on medicaid and goverment health insurance.Are the moocher lazy stigmas a one size fits all when it comes to truelly needing government assistance?Do you think medicaid should be cut despite disability needs.....oh well tough luck...not my problem.If so what can moms like myself do as resources to care for children with special needs?

You see its not about a good debate.....its about life happens.

~A Mom For Obama

~Tia

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm pro-handle your own business. I don't give two shits other than an "awwww, that's too bad" when I hear about any of the situations in the OP.

On the other side of that coin I am all for regulating the pharmaceutical, insurance and medical supply industries and wiping out fraud in order to make self paid health insurance and medications more affordable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLuThatsWho
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

This is like bringing up rape when discussing abortion.  It is a distraction from the reality of the topic.  The majority of medicaid recipients are not disabled children.  Disabled children are a tiny fraction of medicaid recipients.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM

As I said it depends on the situation! If you have a disabled child/adult sure you should qualify, but if you are using the government insurance because it makes your budget to tight to pay for your own, then no you should not be able to qualigy

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

How do people who work hard but can't afford the skyrocketing cost of insurance NOT qualify as needing it? 

Quoting pamelax3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)