Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A Mom For Medicaid....heres why..

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

I am not on medicaid.I am lucky enough to have blue cross blue shield medical insurance through my husbands job.

I do however have a young cousin who is 22 and disabled that I care for in my home.She too is also very lucky.She has help from medicaid to help with all her medical costs.She can be cared for properly and get her doctor visits and medicines that could never be afforded without it.

I also have a best friend who has a wonderful 8 year old son who happens to have autism.Without medicaid she would never be able to care for him as a single mom.

My question is what are your thoughts on medicaid and goverment health insurance.Are the moocher lazy stigmas a one size fits all when it comes to truelly needing government assistance?Do you think medicaid should be cut despite disability needs.....oh well tough luck...not my problem.If so what can moms like myself do as resources to care for children with special needs?

You see its not about a good debate.....its about life happens.

~A Mom For Obama

~Tia

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:27 PM

So, my healthy kids should just go uninsured because my husband and I (who work extremely hard) can't afford it without making some drastic cuts?

(And btw, they ARE currently uninsured because we've been trying to figure out a way to avoid Medicaid if we can, but it's not looking good). 

Quoting pamelax3:

As I said it depends on the situation! If you have a disabled child/adult sure you should qualify, but if you are using the government insurance because it makes your budget to tight to pay for your own, then no you should not be able to qualigy

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

How do people who work hard but can't afford the skyrocketing cost of insurance NOT qualify as needing it? 

Quoting pamelax3:

I think it depends on the situation. If a disable child/adult needs the help then yes they should get! But for all the people who say my dh makes good money but we can not afford insurance no they should not! It is a program for the poor and needy! Not the lazy and moochers!  It is also in place for the people who fall on hard times, not the ones that want to keep going to school as an excuse not to go to work .

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Make the cuts you need too! Why should I have to work just as hard and pay my skyrocketing health insurance cost and yours?

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

So, my healthy kids should just go uninsured because my husband and I (who work extremely hard) can't afford it without making some drastic cuts?

(And btw, they ARE currently uninsured because we've been trying to figure out a way to avoid Medicaid if we can, but it's not looking good). 

Quoting pamelax3:

As I said it depends on the situation! If you have a disabled child/adult sure you should qualify, but if you are using the government insurance because it makes your budget to tight to pay for your own, then no you should not be able to qualigy

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

How do people who work hard but can't afford the skyrocketing cost of insurance NOT qualify as needing it? 

Quoting pamelax3:

I think it depends on the situation. If a disable child/adult needs the help then yes they should get! But for all the people who say my dh makes good money but we can not afford insurance no they should not! It is a program for the poor and needy! Not the lazy and moochers!  It is also in place for the people who fall on hard times, not the ones that want to keep going to school as an excuse not to go to work .

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this
All of those things are sad. Really, it's sad, and I feel bad that sad things happen. Too bad. *Shakes head*

Ok, now honestly that's it, right there above. That's all I care, that 30 seconds it took to type that. Over it now. I'm still going to go about my day, buy my groceries, gas up my car and go home to my family. I don't care enough to want to "help" strangers. My family is covered as far as health insurance goes. At the end of the day, that's all that *I* really care about. I don't want to doll out dollars to anyone else. It is not the government's job to take care of you, not in a capitalist society.
Quoting fullxbusymom:

You #1 Welfare has been around since the great depression in 1935...right???

You also know that before it was established that if you couldn't afford food or medical care you DIED right???

Nope you are wrong Insurance is private and not going to drop even a dime if the gov't drops helping its citizens that are in need.

Also what do you purpose for the disabled that can not work?? Like my BIL who was walking down the St. minding his business and got hit by a drunk driver and lost his leg. He now can't work, so what should he do?? Not eat, go to all his dtrs appts or have a place to live??

What about the family that had it all and lost their job and now have no insurance or income??

What are your solutions to help these people??

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well for one if we got rid of it then prices for care would go down as well as the price for private insurance.

Second it is everyone responsibility to take care of themselves and their family on their own. In the old days if you could not afford it then you did not get it. There was no credit cards and no Ill pay you laters.

Because everything was better in the "old days," right?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay so you are selfish great now what happens tomorrow if one of the below circumstances ends up being you?? Would you care then??

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

All of those things are sad. Really, it's sad, and I feel bad that sad things happen. Too bad. *Shakes head*

Ok, now honestly that's it, right there above. That's all I care, that 30 seconds it took to type that. Over it now. I'm still going to go about my day, buy my groceries, gas up my car and go home to my family. I don't care enough to want to "help" strangers. My family is covered as far as health insurance goes. At the end of the day, that's all that *I* really care about. I don't want to doll out dollars to anyone else. It is not the government's job to take care of you, not in a capitalist society.
Quoting fullxbusymom:

You also know that before it was established that if you couldn't afford food or medical care you DIED right???

Nope you are wrong Insurance is private and not going to drop even a dime if the gov't drops helping its citizens that are in need.

Also what do you purpose for the disabled that can not work?? Like my BIL who was walking down the St. minding his business and got hit by a drunk driver and lost his leg. He now can't work, so what should he do?? Not eat, go to all his dtrs appts or have a place to live??

What about the family that had it all and lost their job and now have no insurance or income??

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well for one if we got rid of it then prices for care would go down as well as the price for private insurance.

Second it is everyone responsibility to take care of themselves and their family on their own. In the old days if you could not afford it then you did not get it. There was no credit cards and no Ill pay you laters.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course I care, but I have great insurance :-)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay so you are selfish great now what happens tomorrow if one of the below circumstances ends up being you?? Would you care then??

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Okay, I'm a bad example.  We could lower our quality of life a bit to afford it if we chose to.  But there are plenty of people out there who have to choose between health insurance and paying rent, bills, and putting decent food on the table.  What about them?  Do they qualify as "needing" it to you, even if nobody is disabled?  

Quoting pamelax3:

Make the cuts you need too! Why should I have to work just as hard and pay my skyrocketing health insurance cost and yours?

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting pamelax3:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting pamelax3:

LuvMyBrennaBean
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I appreciate the fact that my children have health insurance, until the day we can afford an out of pocket premium, as it isn't offered in the work place. When our income goes up, we will move up to CHIP, which we will possibly have to pay for. Still, it is not nearly as much as buying personally. My husband and I are uncovered because we can not afford it. Only my children have it. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM
You wouldn't if you or SO lost their job tomorrow though.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a selfish person and exactly what is wrong with this country.  Have a nice day. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Not going to happen. Rock solid career fields. But thanks anyway.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You wouldn't if you or SO lost their job tomorrow though.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN