Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So, my daughters school just informed me *ETA the email I sent her teacher*

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 88 Replies

That they dont communicate with parents unless their is a problem at school.  I don't get grades sent home, progress reports or notes.  We only meet with the teacher for actual report cards which is in November.  It's even like this for my kindergarten student as well.  My daughter who is in 4th grade usually has no information for me other than me having to consistently send her teacher emails about progress.

I would think it would be appropriate to see her actual work.  What projects they are working on.  What curicullum are they going over.

Ive never been in a school system like this one in Maryland.  I realize Im the parent, I have the responsiblity of communicating, but I feel like the teachers who teach my kids have a responsibility of letting me know where they are at even if they are doing well.

What's your thoughts?

ETA  EMAIL

Hi Ms. K,**

I was asking Abby today where her work from recent weeks is and she says it doesn't get sent home.  I mostly speaking of graded work.  I called the school and asked them about communication as far as knowing where my kids are at etc.  They said they don't contact parents or update us unless there is a problem with learning/or the student.  I *somewhat* understand that schedules are cramped, certain kids need more attention, but I feel that parents of "good" children (and I put quotes because every kid is a good kid) gets left behind in communication other than parent teacher conferences for a report card that doesn't come very often.  

So, my point in all of this is even if its only every couple of weeks and email or a note about her progress and something she can improve on at home would be greatly appreciated.  I remember growing up and teachers send work home, notes, progress reports.  I sometimes feel disappointed when I look in their folders and the only thing I find is homework assignments for that day. 

I hope you don't find my letter demeaning or insulting.  It's not meant  that way.  I just think our communication could be a little better and I wrongly assumed the school would let me know.  So, I am taking the initiative.  

Thanks for reading!  Have a great day,

Sarah Johnson

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You can look at as "no news is good news"!  Seriously, though, did you not receive some sort of curriculum they would be studying at the beginning of the school year?  I can why they don't contact parents on a weekly basis, but it seems like some form of communication should be happening before so many months go by.

Are you able to help be a room mother?  That's usually where I received a lot of information.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

UGH!  Do you live in Texas?  LOL.  That's what I got told when I moved to TX from MN.  The school and the teachers all hated me because I made them actually communicate with me the 6 years my kids were in their schools!  I have twins with Aspergers Disorder.  I needed to know where they stood more regularly than report card time.  Waiting to contact me when there is a problem already in the works is too late!  If I knew the daily ins and outs (a weekly email was all I asked for), I could take care of a potential situation prior to it becoming a full-on problem.  I'm not sure whether the school was more relieved or if I was more relieved when my boys graduated and I didn't have to deal with that lame-brained school ever again!

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Until I read to the end and saw Maryland, I was going to ask if you lived in Salinas, California. My son is a 3rd grader in the public school system there, and we've had nothing but complaints since he started. No progress reports, no papers sent home, and the after school homework program sucks so bad that his teacher actually called, concerned because he hasn't been doing/turning in his homework. Ha! He attends the AFTER SCHOOL HOMEWORK PROGRAM, but his homework isn't getting done!?!?!? We came to find out this after school program is basically an unsupervised free-for-all, so we've withdrawn our son from it and enrolled him in a costly after school program off-campus.

Some of America's public schools are absolutely pathetic. My son attended private school up until this school year, and I really, REALLY wish I could afford to send him back. Supposedly my son is enrolled in the best public elementary school in the city. I *cringe* at the thought of the worst school...

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Unfortunately there are so many children with issues these days they probably are bogged down communicating with many parents because so many children have problems.  I don't know, that is a guess.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I received it at the first of the year, but I still want to know whats going on.  Not hearing a peep is beyond ridiculous.  When I was growing up we had progress reports, meetings, work sent home.  I dont think I'm making exuberant requests.

I dont consider myself to be an all up in their business type of parent either.  I would think SOME communication that isnt per parents request is reasonable.

Quoting Elkamelka:

You can look at as "no news is good news"!  Seriously, though, did you not receive some sort of curriculum they would be studying at the beginning of the school year?  I can why they don't contact parents on a weekly basis, but it seems like some form of communication should be happening before so many months go by.

Are you able to help be a room mother?  That's usually where I received a lot of information.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I get what you are saying, but I dont feel that is a good enough excuse for the kids that are performing well.  Even just a "Abby did well this week she could use improvement on xyz.." would be a great way so that we can work together.  

Quoting futureshock:

Unfortunately there are so many children with issues these days they probably are bogged down communicating with many parents because so many children have problems.  I don't know, that is a guess.

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I really wish I could afford private school.  The way the kids are handled here is ridiculous.

Quoting radioheid:

Until I read to the end and saw Maryland, I was going to ask if you lived in Salinas, California. My son is a 3rd grader in the public school system there, and we've had nothing but complaints since he started. No progress reports, no papers sent home, and the after school homework program sucks so bad that his teacher actually called, concerned because he hasn't been doing/turning in his homework. Ha! He attends the AFTER SCHOOL HOMEWORK PROGRAM, but his homework isn't getting done!?!?!? We came to find out this after school program is basically an unsupervised free-for-all, so we've withdrawn our son from it and enrolled him in a costly after school program off-campus.

Some of America's public schools are absolutely pathetic. My son attended private school up until this school year, and I really, REALLY wish I could afford to send him back. Supposedly my son is enrolled in the best public elementary school in the city. I *cringe* at the thought of the worst school...

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I require an email from my daughter's prek teacher weekly, if you email them asking direct questions will they respond? I think that is a scary school system practice

adulation
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I think that's really strange.  my daughter is in kindergarten in a public school in Texas and they send a folder home every day with a calendar in it and she gets a happy face from the teacher, unless there is a problem.  then she gets a sad face with an explanation on the side.

For special info I e-mail the teacher but it takes him a couple days to respond. I wishe he would respond within the same day.

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That is nuts.  Of course you should know grades, work that is required, projects and all of that. That is insane.  I would not be happy with that system at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)