Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So, my daughters school just informed me *ETA the email I sent her teacher*

That they dont communicate with parents unless their is a problem at school.  I don't get grades sent home, progress reports or notes.  We only meet with the teacher for actual report cards which is in November.  It's even like this for my kindergarten student as well.  My daughter who is in 4th grade usually has no information for me other than me having to consistently send her teacher emails about progress.

I would think it would be appropriate to see her actual work.  What projects they are working on.  What curicullum are they going over.

Ive never been in a school system like this one in Maryland.  I realize Im the parent, I have the responsiblity of communicating, but I feel like the teachers who teach my kids have a responsibility of letting me know where they are at even if they are doing well.

What's your thoughts?

ETA  EMAIL

Hi Ms. K,**

I was asking Abby today where her work from recent weeks is and she says it doesn't get sent home.  I mostly speaking of graded work.  I called the school and asked them about communication as far as knowing where my kids are at etc.  They said they don't contact parents or update us unless there is a problem with learning/or the student.  I *somewhat* understand that schedules are cramped, certain kids need more attention, but I feel that parents of "good" children (and I put quotes because every kid is a good kid) gets left behind in communication other than parent teacher conferences for a report card that doesn't come very often.  

So, my point in all of this is even if its only every couple of weeks and email or a note about her progress and something she can improve on at home would be greatly appreciated.  I remember growing up and teachers send work home, notes, progress reports.  I sometimes feel disappointed when I look in their folders and the only thing I find is homework assignments for that day. 

I hope you don't find my letter demeaning or insulting.  It's not meant  that way.  I just think our communication could be a little better and I wrongly assumed the school would let me know.  So, I am taking the initiative.  

Thanks for reading!  Have a great day,

Sarah Johnson

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Replies (81-88):
happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Here's my 2 cents- When my kids were little, they were in Catholic School, and we had a weekly envelope that had stuff like this in it. But when they started into hs-they went to public school. And no, older kids in public school do not get much hand-holding. When you (we) were in school, there was no email-text thing. Teachers had to communicate differently. Make it a point of emailing her every week or 2 if it makes you feel better. But I really don't think any teacher I know would feel the need for daily communication with a parent unless there is a huge issue going on with the kid. :)

ballerossandra
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM

sorry about the typos.I was using a laptop is needs to be replaced

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting ballerossandra:

as a teacher, I feel that yiur email is way too long.

I'd rather read, "could be please meet for 10 minutes sometime this month?"

LOL

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM

It wasnt the typos :-)  I found it amusing...succinct

Quoting ballerossandra:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting ballerossandra:

LOL

RLT2
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Nuts! just crazy! I would hate that too! how are you supposed to be involved, if you have no info?

ballerossandra
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I teach 200 students, 6 classes with only lunch break, 4 preparation as I teach 4 subjects.My time is precious.I do meet with parents before or after school or at lunch.If parents are more than 7 minutes late, I ask them to reschedule as I need to use the  time for other things.

Everyone uses email to communicate. All communication between staff goes by email

Parents email you

Students email you

then there is always spam

If a parents send me such a long email, it will probably be answered after I respond to all the short and concise messages

now my question to the OP, does the school use any system for posotive messages? there is Teleparent, class dojo and so many grading programs that teachers can use to send good messages

Quoting turtle68:

It wasnt the typos :-)  I found it amusing...succinct

Quoting ballerossandra:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting ballerossandra:

LOL

ballerossandra
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM

daily communication? no way

a teacher needs to be fair.

If you communicate daily with one parent, then you need to do it with all of them.It is doable if you teach 10 kids

Quoting happinessforyou:

Here's my 2 cents- When my kids were little, they were in Catholic School, and we had a weekly envelope that had stuff like this in it. But when they started into hs-they went to public school. And no, older kids in public school do not get much hand-holding. When you (we) were in school, there was no email-text thing. Teachers had to communicate differently. Make it a point of emailing her every week or 2 if it makes you feel better. But I really don't think any teacher I know would feel the need for daily communication with a parent unless there is a huge issue going on with the kid. :)

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Our district uses Pinnacle Grades Online. I can check on my son's status daily, and I've set up notifications if his grades slip below a B. If there is a problem, I can shoot an email to the teacher in question or to his homeroom teacher.

Just checked: 4 As, 2 Bs!

They also send us regular missing assignment reports.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM
You are being proactive. Offer to volunteer in the class as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN