Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

3rd Party Vote

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 78 Replies

I am wondering why people say voting 3rd party is a wasted vote.  Thoughts? 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Because they have been brainwashed to believe it is true.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
IMO it isn't a wasted vote but they will tell you it is because they don't stand a chance in winning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Because as long as the electoral college exists it is highly unlikely that a 3rd party would be able to get the 270 votes needed to win the presidency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM
4 moms liked this

The conventional answer is that a vote for Johnson or Stein "takes away a vote" from oh, let's say Obama and "gives" that vote to Romney.  Which is the strangest math I've ever heard, LOL.  

Then there's the issue of popular vote vs. electoral college vote.  Most likely, the college will vote in favor of Obama or Romney.  So even if, by some miracle, Johnson were to win the popular vote in Novemeber, either Romney or Obama will find themselves (back) in the White House on the strength of the electoral collage, which by the Constitution has more power than the popular vote on its own.  Convoluted, based on the idea that we the people aren't REALLY smart enough to vote for the right person so an "educated elite" get the final say.  One of the things America should be pestering the next few Congress sessions about is a revamp of the popular vote vs the electoral collage.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
3 moms liked this

The two most common reasons I'm given are:

- Your candidate has no chance of winning, and

- Your vote takes away a vote from so-and-so.

Of course my candidate has no chance of winning if everyone subscribes to the "wasted vote" theory. Besides, this isn't so much about winning as it is about voting according to one's true beliefs and, with a big enough 3rd party turn-out, starting dialogue.

And the way I see it, we're not taking votes away from anyone. To believe that is to believe we would have voted for the Democrat or Republican to begin with. I last (reluctantly) voted for a major party POTUS in 2004. Unless one of the two parties puts forth a miracle worker, I'm not going to vote Democrat or Republican for Prez. So who am I taking a vote away from? You can't lose what you didn't earn.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I do feel personally that it is a wasted vote & just as bad as not voting at all.  But, of course, I'm bias because I want Obama out.  But, it could work both for or against Romney OR Obama.  I could never vote for any 3rd party that is Libertarian.  I could never vote for Ron Paul, Gary Johnson because they believe in legalizing of all drugs.  I also, can't vote for Libertarian for example, because their stance is having a 'weak' Military, that I'm against.  I feel we ALWAYS need to have a strong military, doesn't mean that we should involved ourselves in wars, just to be strong militarily. 

Even if they just want 'pot' legalize I still can't go along with that.  Another 3rd party, yes I could go along with that.  I'm a registered non-partisan.  So, I can vote for whomever that is running, no matter what they're party is.  That I feel would be best to run our Country & has the best interests for our Country. 

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM
5 moms liked this

Not trying to argue or debate, I just want to point out that they are not wanting a 'weak' military. They want our military to be used for what it is for, which is protecting our country, instead of what it is being used for, which is pretty much the World's police.  Look at the state of our homefront. Look at how the two parties have run things into the ground.  We can not even take care of our own, what right do we have to send our military to other countries to impose how our politicans think they should live?

We can still have a strong military, without having a President that uses it as an extention of his penis.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I do feel personally that it is a wasted vote & just as bad as not voting at all.  But, of course, I'm bias because I want Obama out.  But, it could work both for or against Romney OR Obama.  I could never vote for any 3rd party that is Libertarian.  I could never vote for Ron Paul, Gary Johnson because they believe in legalizing of all drugs.  I also, can't vote for Libertarian for example, because their stance is having a 'weak' Military, that I'm against.  I feel we ALWAYS need to have a strong military, doesn't mean that we should involved ourselves in wars, just to be strong militarily. 

Even if they just want 'pot' legalize I still can't go along with that.  Another 3rd party, yes I could go along with that.  I'm a registered non-partisan.  So, I can vote for whomever that is running, no matter what they're party is.  That I feel would be best to run our Country & has the best interests for our Country. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM

In our current system a third party candidate will never secure the money needed to buy an election. The electoral college is also a huge limiting factor.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM

So basically, you feel that all independant voters should squelsh their consciences to vote out a president you don't like?

Could you explain how a vote for Johnson or Stein is actually a vote for Obama?  Because the way I understand math, a vote for Johnson or Stein is counted for Johnson or Stein, not added to Obama's total.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
asfriend
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM
SIGH
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN