Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I am wondering why people say voting 3rd party is a wasted vote.  Thoughts? 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
brandydesiree
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM
I don't know much about stein, but I think that those who vote for johnson are taking the vote away from Romney, hense, helping Obama. 3rd parties split on side or the other. Look at Ralph Nader...Al Gore could've won in 2000 if it weren't for Ralph Nader spliting the vote.

Quoting eema.gray:

So basically, you feel that all independant voters should squelsh their consciences to vote out a president you don't like?

Could you explain how a vote for Johnson or Stein is actually a vote for Obama?  Because the way I understand math, a vote for Johnson or Stein is counted for Johnson or Stein, not added to Obama's total.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I do feel personally that it is a wasted vote & just as bad as not voting at all.  But, of course, I'm bias because I want Obama out.  But, it could work both for or against Romney OR Obama.  I could never vote for any 3rd party that is Libertarian.  I could never vote for Ron Paul, Gary Johnson because they believe in legalizing of all drugs.  I also, can't vote for Libertarian for example, because their stance is having a 'weak' Military, that I'm against.  I feel we ALWAYS need to have a strong military, doesn't mean that we should involved ourselves in wars, just to be strong militarily. 

Even if they just want 'pot' legalize I still can't go along with that.  Another 3rd party, yes I could go along with that.  I'm a registered non-partisan.  So, I can vote for whomever that is running, no matter what they're party is.  That I feel would be best to run our Country & has the best interests for our Country. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Thanks for all of your responses.  My gut this year is saying to vote for someone other than Obama or Romney.  I don't agree with Romney on...well...anything, and although I don't hate Obama, I just don't know that I like him enough to vote for him this year.   

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Why sigh? 

Quoting asfriend:

SIGH

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Quoting Elkamelka:

Thanks for all of your responses.  My gut this year is saying to vote for someone other than Obama or Romney.  I don't agree with Romney on...well...anything, and although I don't hate Obama, I just don't know that I like him enough to vote for him this year.   

Vote Jill Stein!

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Elkamelka:

Vote Jill Stein!

That is so funny because I did that on-line test to see who my idealogies align with, and I was 97% with Jill Stein.  I need to do some fast research to see if that's who will get my vote.  I made this post because I keep reading I will throw away a vote for Obama, but when I think about the fact that I would vote for him due to him being the lesser of two evils, it hurts my stomach just a little bit!

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Elkamelka:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Elkamelka:

Vote Jill Stein!

That is so funny because I did that on-line test to see who my idealogies align with, and I was 97% with Jill Stein.  I need to do some fast research to see if that's who will get my vote.  I made this post because I keep reading I will throw away a vote for Obama, but when I think about the fact that I would vote for him due to him being the lesser of two evils, it hurts my stomach just a little bit!

Jill's fabulous, you should definitely check into her.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Because the twho party system has led to hyper-affiliation with a specific party.  And now, when the leader of either party says that a 3rd party vote is wasted, those that support them will in turn believe that idea, thus continuing the 2 party cycle.  TOo manny people believe that a 3rd party vote is wasted, but this year 3rd parties are getting more attention.   I think if the number of votes grow each year, we'll actually have a shot at a viable 3rd party candidate within the next few elections.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I heard a guy on PRI yesterday saying that if people actually vote 3rd party this year, that the 2016 election could see a truly viable minor party candidate!  That's a lot of people thoroughly fed up with the RNC and DNC offerings!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Because the twho party system has led to hyper-affiliation with a specific party.  And now, when the leader of either party says that a 3rd party vote is wasted, those that support them will in turn believe that idea, thus continuing the 2 party cycle.  TOo manny people believe that a 3rd party vote is wasted, but this year 3rd parties are getting more attention.   I think if the number of votes grow each year, we'll actually have a shot at a viable 3rd party candidate within the next few elections.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly...voting 3rd party this year, is voting to say "We're tired of the status quo."

And we're tired of being offered the illusion of choice, instead of the actual thing.

Quoting eema.gray:

I heard a guy on PRI yesterday saying that if people actually vote 3rd party this year, that the 2016 election could see a truly viable minor party candidate!  That's a lot of people thoroughly fed up with the RNC and DNC offerings!

Quoting katzmeow726:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I don't know what PRI is, but that guy is delusional, or he has some monetary interest in a third party and knows better, but hopes the less savy voters will believe him.

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)