Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I am wondering why people say voting 3rd party is a wasted vote.  Thoughts? 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Replies (61-70):
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

Many disagree with you BJ et al

I know, is that not one of the things that makes the country great?

nutmeg577
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
It definitely is not a wasted vote. I normally don't vote because I always get fed up with the candidates. I wasn't going to vote this time until I heard about Gary Johnson. So, my vote is not taking away from Obama or Romney, they didn't have it in the first place. I have some friends that say they are going to vote for optimus prime or Mickey mouse, which you can say that is more of a wasted vote than third party vote. If I vote for Obama or Romney, what message does that send? It says that I support them when I don't. I support Gary Johnson and I am giving him that vote whether he wins or not.
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Quoting nutmeg577:

It definitely is not a wasted vote. I normally don't vote because I always get fed up with the candidates. I wasn't going to vote this time until I heard about Gary Johnson. So, my vote is not taking away from Obama or Romney, they didn't have it in the first place. I have some friends that say they are going to vote for optimus prime or Mickey mouse, which you can say that is more of a wasted vote than third party vote. If I vote for Obama or Romney, what message does that send? It says that I support them when I don't. I support Gary Johnson and I am giving him that vote whether he wins or not.

He will pull 3%, roughly the same as Mickey Mouse.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting nutmeg577:

Quoting to remember this remark . . . . . . . 

I think the part about our voting system that you fail to understand is that we are all free to speak our minds at the polls by voting for the person each of us identifies with closest.  It's not necessarily about winning.  It's about speaking our minds and ideals for this nation.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting nutmeg577:

I think the part about our voting system that you fail to understand is that we are all free to speak our minds at the polls by voting for the person each of us identifies with closest.  It's not necessarily about winning.  It's about speaking our minds and ideals for this nation.

Thank you!  I was trying to come up with something to say I wasn't pretend voting, but I think you stated it better than I could have.  If I send just the teeniest of messages that says we need more options, how is that pretend? 

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting nutmeg577:

If that were true, they wouldn't count the votes.

tiffyhamm
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm wondering why others care how another cast their vote.  They're voting, and that's a good thing.  No vote is a wasted vote imo.  Those who vote third party are voting for who they feel best represents their views.  They don't feel either of the two major party candidates fit their needs and they are voicing their displeasure through casting their vote for a third party candidate.  I don't see how it's a big deal to some people.  They really need to get over it.

eema.gray
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting nutmeg577:

If that were true, they wouldn't count the votes.

Allow me to rephrase:  It's not JUST about winning, because there has to be a winner for us to have a President.  But besides that winning and loosing thing, it's also about your ideas and opinions for this nation.  It is not statistically impossible for two candidates to reasonably represent the views of every single person in this country.  It's just impossible.  So we have the minor parties putting up candidates that speak to the voices of people poorly represented by the major parties.  They may not win, but the number of votes they receive tells the major parties what to pay attention to.  People who vote for minor parties are unbelievable powerful.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
DestineyBGP
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:11 PM

with the Electoral College all votes are a wasted vote lol but mine goes to Jill Stein

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM

B/c the chances of 3rd party being elected is almost null. Which is fine if you don't care which of the Dem or Rep wins. 

Jaliyah  My video here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN