Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oh just read it...don't pick it apart and attack me for it. ;)

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM
  • 211 Replies

2 cents for a grape?
YOU ARE NOT GOING
TO BELIEVE THIS
At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville, FL to pick up a few items.
I gathered my items and went to the 10 items and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hairdo, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the checkout surface - ONE GRAPE.
Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes.
The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the woman the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS). The woman then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.98 in cash back.
The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can.
The register recorded the sale as $.02, cash back $24.98. The cashier then asked if four fives would be okay because she was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.98 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.
As the next person in line I asked the cashier as a taxpayer what in the world just happened here?! she said she was on the clock and could not comment.
I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card.
The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it rung up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.
My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for November 6 to get here, as one taxpayer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
benandarasmom
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM
9 moms liked this
I don't see HOW she got cash back on the EBT card. Not possible as far as I know!
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:01 AM

I have no clue how people do it, but I HAVE seen people get cash back from whatever it is they use and turn around and buy their beer and ciggs. 

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM
1 mom liked this

what is the tanf? that is like an atm

meant to say, was it the TANF card?

1Giovanni
by Becca on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:18 AM
8 moms liked this
This is how it works... some people get cash with their ept card it can be tanf or child support. If they cant get to a Atm that uses their card they go to a store and buy something because most stores will not give you cash without buying anything. Most department stores will mot take a ebt card so they need the cash to get what ever they need there.

They are not getting money with fs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Your right, i don't.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Me too.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I have no clue how people do it, but I HAVE seen people get cash back from whatever it is they use and turn around and buy their beer and ciggs. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:47 AM
It was food stamps or cash assistance???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM
Why bother.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM
4 moms liked this
I just researched this. If you have only SNAP, you cannot get cash back. If you get TANF, you can make non-food purchases & get cash back.

1) Why not eat the grape?
2) Why are you minding other people's business? I know, don't pick you apart. But if you post it, you're open to scrutiny, just like that PA store customer was to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLWerth
by Gina on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM
13 moms liked this

Smacks of urban myth to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)