Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oh just read it...don't pick it apart and attack me for it. ;)

2 cents for a grape?
YOU ARE NOT GOING
TO BELIEVE THIS
At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville, FL to pick up a few items.
I gathered my items and went to the 10 items and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hairdo, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the checkout surface - ONE GRAPE.
Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes.
The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the woman the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS). The woman then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.98 in cash back.
The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can.
The register recorded the sale as $.02, cash back $24.98. The cashier then asked if four fives would be okay because she was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.98 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.
As the next person in line I asked the cashier as a taxpayer what in the world just happened here?! she said she was on the clock and could not comment.
I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card.
The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it rung up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.
My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for November 6 to get here, as one taxpayer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Replies (171-180):
happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I'm not debating you on whether this story is true or false.

If the government refuses a much needed revamping of the PA system, and they refuse to "police" it, then it should go away. The same goes for any other "system" the government is attempting to run. Prisons, health care, social security, schools etc..etc.. Nothing should be held back on when the deficit is over $16 trillion.

There is no "better" or "worse" for being on PA or for not being on PA. I'm not better than you. That is you projecting your poor self-esteme onto me. Either re-vamp and enforce the system or get rid of it.

This is an election year and lots of topics are being thrown around, including the "47%" comment. Lots of people feel PA is not being run correctly.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting happinessforyou:

THIS is why so many of us think most if not all forms of PA should be stopped. :(

I needed a good laugh.

You provided it.

You might want to open your eyes, and mind, as well.  This is a hoax, made up, not true.

Now, carry on with yourself and your fight to do away with all forms of PA.  I'm sure you are one of the ones whose life is perfect.  ;)

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM

By all means-ck facts. The office I work in has people weekly, if not daily, saying they are on some kind of PA system. It has always been that way. Trust me-some are really needing it and have had a really rough life.

Others come into my office just like in this story- newer car, nice clothes, cell phone, and 3-4 kids etc..etc.. And they have been working the system for a very long time. I don't need a report to tell me the difference between the 2 groups.

I'm sorry you feel so defensive.

Quoting krysstizzle:

"Probably"? Do you know that for a fact? Do you have numbers to show what percent of dispersed public assistance is actually fraudulent?

Does fraud occur? Highly likely. Is it anywhere near a significant portion of total assistance? Highly unlikely. 

No one likes fraud in the system. No buts about it. But these kinds of myth do a great disservice to those who truly need a helping  hand. 

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I like to make sure my opinions are based in fact...

Quoting happinessforyou:

No- I didn't say it was real or fake. But for every "fake" story there are probably many more "real" system abuse stories. This is my opinion on this subject that's all.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Why, because of fake internet hoaxes?

Quoting happinessforyou:

THIS is why so many of us think most if not all forms of PA should be stopped. :(

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM

If I had their social security #, address, phone etc... I would reprt them...... :)

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting happinessforyou:

Lets say this story is a lie- how many more other abuse stories are there?

Quoting katy_kay08:

so you form your opinions on fallacy and dishonest anecdotes?  

This scenario is a lie.  

Quoting happinessforyou:

You fit right in with the OP.

So, what do you do when  you see these people who are abusing the system?  Or, in your mind, is every one on PA abusing the system?

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

You are right-if it is not illegal???

I stated earlier that all government systems need re-vamping and then closer monitoring. How about  our public schools? Prison system? Mental Health??? ALL forms of government need to be cleaned up and no program should be left to flounder in outdated, easlily abused ways.

Quoting katy_kay08:

The most common forms of "welfare fraud" is a mistatement of income and size of household.  The most common form of food stamp fraud is selling the ebt card/benefits.  Neither of these are things you would necessarily witness while spying on the person purchasing their groceries with an EBT card.  

This situation is not fraudelent, so even it if was a true story the situation still does not violate the laws or prove the person has manipulated the system.  

Quoting happinessforyou:

Lets say this story is a lie- how many more other abuse stories are there?

Quoting katy_kay08:

so you form your opinions on fallacy and dishonest anecdotes?  

This scenario is a lie.  

Quoting happinessforyou:

krysstizzle
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

What in my response leads you to believe I'm being defensive? I merely asked you a couple of legitimate questions and stated some facts. How is that defensive?

So if you see someone committing fraud, do you report it? 

I also work closely with low-income households. I have yet to see the archetypal "welfare queen".

Quoting happinessforyou:

By all means-ck facts. The office I work in has people weekly, if not daily, saying they are on some kind of PA system. It has always been that way. Trust me-some are really needing it and have had a really rough life.

Others come into my office just like in this story- newer car, nice clothes, cell phone, and 3-4 kids etc..etc.. And they have been working the system for a very long time. I don't need a report to tell me the difference between the 2 groups.

I'm sorry you feel so defensive.

Quoting krysstizzle:

"Probably"? Do you know that for a fact? Do you have numbers to show what percent of dispersed public assistance is actually fraudulent?

Does fraud occur? Highly likely. Is it anywhere near a significant portion of total assistance? Highly unlikely. 

No one likes fraud in the system. No buts about it. But these kinds of myth do a great disservice to those who truly need a helping  hand. 

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I like to make sure my opinions are based in fact...

Quoting happinessforyou:

No- I didn't say it was real or fake. But for every "fake" story there are probably many more "real" system abuse stories. This is my opinion on this subject that's all.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Why, because of fake internet hoaxes?

Quoting happinessforyou:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Quoting happinessforyou:

I'm not debating you on whether this story is true or false.

If the government refuses a much needed revamping of the PA system, and they refuse to "police" it, then it should go away. The same goes for any other "system" the government is attempting to run. Prisons, health care, social security, schools etc..etc.. Nothing should be held back on when the deficit is over $16 trillion.

There is no "better" or "worse" for being on PA or for not being on PA. I'm not better than you. That is you projecting your poor self-esteme onto me. Either re-vamp and enforce the system or get rid of it.

This is an election year and lots of topics are being thrown around, including the "47%" comment. Lots of people feel PA is not being run correctly.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting happinessforyou:

I needed a good laugh.

You provided it.

You might want to open your eyes, and mind, as well.  This is a hoax, made up, not true.

Now, carry on with yourself and your fight to do away with all forms of PA.  I'm sure you are one of the ones whose life is perfect.  ;)

You should realize that you fell for the story as true.  You ran with the story being true.  There is no debate on whether what the OP presented as fact is false or not, you are correct there.

Please provide links to back up your assertion that the Govt refuses to 'police' the PA system.  I agree that some re-vamping needs to take place.  I do not know any one who feels otherwise.  

Are you saying we should do away with prisons, the public school system, etc???

My self esteem has never been better.  But thanks for thinking of me.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Who do we say something to, though?

In the case of the email Poodles posted, who would be the one to hear our "voice?" The recipient buying the grape so she could get the cash back?

The cashier who allowed it or a store manager?

Or at the state and federal level?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

But again, if you aren't willing to step up and say some thing when you have seen fraud being committed, you have no voice.  Other than to whine and complain about wanting change yet not willing to do any thing about it.

She failed miserably by posting such an email.  Of course she doesn't know who originated the email.  At least I hope not.   I wasn't talking about the person who was stupid enough to make up such an email.  

When I worked in a grocery store, if one felt some one was committing fraud, and not just because they did not agree with their purchases, you went directly to the store manager.  There were things in place to take on such a 'complaint'.

If some one is going to cry foul they damn well better be able to have the backbone to stand up while saying it and take action when/if they see some one committing fraud.

I was actually asking a legit question.

I agree that a store manager should be involved or even a report of fraud to SNAP.

I know you where.  If I sounded flippant, or otherwise, I apologize.

If there was a way to find out who makes up things such as this email, I would be first in line to call them on the carpet for it.

I just find myself irritated when people make a habit of stomping their feet over some thing yet they aren't willing to make any further effort to help correct the situation.  

Please don't apologize. :) I just wanted to make sure you knew I was being sincere in those questions because it can be frustrating to see crap like this--the situation in the email--and not know where to start when it comes to complaining.

My question to you though is if you saw this would you immediately think they were committing fraud simply because they got cash back on their EBT card?  There is nothing in the original post that proves fraud was committed in the situation described.  There is no way to cash from food stamp benefits, the only way one could get cash back is if they also received monetary assistance as well as food stamps.  The same card is used for both.  

You don't have to like the situation but your dislike of it doesn't make the person a criminal.

I would know what they were doing. One grape?

But does that constitute fraud? I don't know and a part of why I originally asked *who* do we turn this into?

Truth (and you're right) is, what DO we do if we don't know for sure and especially when that EBT card can be used for both FS and CA?

Now, a few months back, I seem to remember someone writing that there are two separate cards-one for food stamps and one for cash assistance? But again, if this IS true, how would the shopper behind the woman with the one grape purchase be able to tell if they're using the EBT meant for CA?

And just how damn close are they to the one grape shopper--in line, I mean--to even notice the difference (if one applies) to begin with?

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

What is it with republicans making up bullshit stories about poor people but the rich people can rob our country blind with not so much as a bat of the eye?

What a laughable joke this nonsense was.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

In the case of the email Poodles posted, who would be the one to hear our "voice?" The recipient buying the grape so she could get the cash back?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

But again, if you aren't willing to step up and say some thing when you have seen fraud being committed, you have no voice.  Other than to whine and complain about wanting change yet not willing to do any thing about it.

She failed miserably by posting such an email.  Of course she doesn't know who originated the email.  At least I hope not.   I wasn't talking about the person who was stupid enough to make up such an email.  

When I worked in a grocery store, if one felt some one was committing fraud, and not just because they did not agree with their purchases, you went directly to the store manager.  There were things in place to take on such a 'complaint'.

If some one is going to cry foul they damn well better be able to have the backbone to stand up while saying it and take action when/if they see some one committing fraud.

I agree that a store manager should be involved or even a report of fraud to SNAP.

If there was a way to find out who makes up things such as this email, I would be first in line to call them on the carpet for it.

I just find myself irritated when people make a habit of stomping their feet over some thing yet they aren't willing to make any further effort to help correct the situation.  

Please don't apologize. :) I just wanted to make sure you knew I was being sincere in those questions because it can be frustrating to see crap like this--the situation in the email--and not know where to start when it comes to complaining.

My question to you though is if you saw this would you immediately think they were committing fraud simply because they got cash back on their EBT card?  There is nothing in the original post that proves fraud was committed in the situation described.  There is no way to cash from food stamp benefits, the only way one could get cash back is if they also received monetary assistance as well as food stamps.  The same card is used for both.  

You don't have to like the situation but your dislike of it doesn't make the person a criminal.

But does that constitute fraud? I don't know and a part of why I originally asked *who* do we turn this into?

Truth (and you're right) is, what DO we do if we don't know for sure and especially when that EBT card can be used for both FS and CA?

Now, a few months back, I seem to remember someone writing that there are two separate cards-one for food stamps and one for cash assistance? But again, if this IS true, how would the shopper behind the woman with the one grape purchase be able to tell if they're using the EBT meant for CA?

And just how damn close are they to the one grape shopper--in line, I mean--to even notice the difference (if one applies) to begin with?

From a brief search it appears states issue one card that can access foodstamps and cash assistance accounts so knowing the card can be used for cash I wouldn't do anything.  Purchasing one grape with her foodstamps is not fraud, getting cash back from her cash assistance is not evidence of fraud.  You can think it's a ridiculous purchase, and I question whether the store would even bother with such a transaction.  

Now if you felt you had to report someone you could always ask for a manager and if you know the person you can always report it to the welfare fraud hotline, every state has one.  

But yes, you would have to be practically be in someone's pocket to even notice.   

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

From a brief search it appears states issue one card that can access foodstamps and cash assistance accounts so knowing the card can be used for cash I wouldn't do anything.  Purchasing one grape with her foodstamps is not fraud, getting cash back from her cash assistance is not evidence of fraud.  You can think it's a ridiculous purchase, and I question whether the store would even bother with such a transaction.  

Now if you felt you had to report someone you could always ask for a manager and if you know the person you can always report it to the welfare fraud hotline, every state has one.  

But yes, you would have to be practically be in someone's pocket to even notice.   

And then would the state even bother to listen to you, the person reporting the fraud, about the one grape purchase?

This is why I was asking--a transaction like this, it's pretty clear what was going on. However, what type of stand can be taken when it's not actual fraud but only suspected?

What would be true evidence of fraud then when it comes to store purchases (and not necessarily what we THINK should be considered fraud) and especially when there is one card for both FS and CA?

Complaining on actual cases of fraud is something that should be done when it's seen and witnessed. However, it seems there's a thin line there on what constitutes true fraud and what doesn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN