Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oh just read it...don't pick it apart and attack me for it. ;)

2 cents for a grape?
YOU ARE NOT GOING
TO BELIEVE THIS
At approximately 2:30 pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Publix store on Main St. in Gainesville, FL to pick up a few items.
I gathered my items and went to the 10 items and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (a white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hairdo, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the checkout surface - ONE GRAPE.
Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes.
The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the woman the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS). The woman then pulled out her Food Stamp EBT card and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.98 in cash back.
The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can.
The register recorded the sale as $.02, cash back $24.98. The cashier then asked if four fives would be okay because she was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.98 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.
As the next person in line I asked the cashier as a taxpayer what in the world just happened here?! she said she was on the clock and could not comment.
I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her Food Stamp EBT card.
The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it rung up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it.
My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for November 6 to get here, as one taxpayer to another. I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Replies (181-190):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting happinessforyou:
Quoting krysstizzle:
Quoting happinessforyou:

THIS is why so many of us think most if not all forms of PA should be stopped. :(

Why, because of fake internet hoaxes?

No- I didn't say it was real or fake. But for every "fake" story there are probably many more "real" system abuse stories. This is my opinion on this subject that's all.

Poodles.  THIS is why posting such an 'amusing' story is harmful.   Because there are people out there, like happinessforyou, who will react that way.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

You say the scenario is clear but I don't agree. What you see as obvious fraud appears on the surface to be a person needing to get cash off a card for the least possible expense. There is nothing to suggest the money was misused or received illegally.

If you complained about this situation I doubt anyone would waste time on it; as the problem is a perception issue not a clear case of fraud, but yes the states do investigate fraud allegations.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Who do we say something to, though?

In the case of the email Poodles posted, who would be the one to hear our "voice?" The recipient buying the grape so she could get the cash back?

The cashier who allowed it or a store manager?

Or at the state and federal level?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

But again, if you aren't willing to step up and say some thing when you have seen fraud being committed, you have no voice.  Other than to whine and complain about wanting change yet not willing to do any thing about it.

She failed miserably by posting such an email.  Of course she doesn't know who originated the email.  At least I hope not.   I wasn't talking about the person who was stupid enough to make up such an email.  

When I worked in a grocery store, if one felt some one was committing fraud, and not just because they did not agree with their purchases, you went directly to the store manager.  There were things in place to take on such a 'complaint'.

If some one is going to cry foul they damn well better be able to have the backbone to stand up while saying it and take action when/if they see some one committing fraud.

I was actually asking a legit question.

I agree that a store manager should be involved or even a report of fraud to SNAP.

I know you where.  If I sounded flippant, or otherwise, I apologize.

If there was a way to find out who makes up things such as this email, I would be first in line to call them on the carpet for it.

I just find myself irritated when people make a habit of stomping their feet over some thing yet they aren't willing to make any further effort to help correct the situation.  

Please don't apologize. :) I just wanted to make sure you knew I was being sincere in those questions because it can be frustrating to see crap like this--the situation in the email--and not know where to start when it comes to complaining.

My question to you though is if you saw this would you immediately think they were committing fraud simply because they got cash back on their EBT card?  There is nothing in the original post that proves fraud was committed in the situation described.  There is no way to cash from food stamp benefits, the only way one could get cash back is if they also received monetary assistance as well as food stamps.  The same card is used for both.  

You don't have to like the situation but your dislike of it doesn't make the person a criminal.

I would know what they were doing. One grape?

But does that constitute fraud? I don't know and a part of why I originally asked *who* do we turn this into?

Truth (and you're right) is, what DO we do if we don't know for sure and especially when that EBT card can be used for both FS and CA?

Now, a few months back, I seem to remember someone writing that there are two separate cards-one for food stamps and one for cash assistance? But again, if this IS true, how would the shopper behind the woman with the one grape purchase be able to tell if they're using the EBT meant for CA?

And just how damn close are they to the one grape shopper--in line, I mean--to even notice the difference (if one applies) to begin with?

From a brief search it appears states issue one card that can access foodstamps and cash assistance accounts so knowing the card can be used for cash I wouldn't do anything.  Purchasing one grape with her foodstamps is not fraud, getting cash back from her cash assistance is not evidence of fraud.  You can think it's a ridiculous purchase, and I question whether the store would even bother with such a transaction.  

Now if you felt you had to report someone you could always ask for a manager and if you know the person you can always report it to the welfare fraud hotline, every state has one.  

But yes, you would have to be practically be in someone's pocket to even notice.   

And then would the state even bother to listen to you, the person reporting the fraud, about the one grape purchase?

This is why I was asking--a transaction like this, it's pretty clear what was going on. However, what type of stand can be taken when it's not actual fraud but only suspected?

What would be true evidence of fraud then when it comes to store purchases (and not necessarily what we THINK should be considered fraud) and especially when there is one card for both FS and CA?

Complaining on actual cases of fraud is something that should be done when it's seen and witnessed. However, it seems there's a thin line there on what constitutes true fraud and what doesn't.

afwifey4510
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I can't believe a single grape would cost 2 cents...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i dont know what youre talking about.. because im talking about a while back..i shouldve been more specifc.  sorry my bad.
when food stamps were actually like dollar bills..in denominations.  and the food stamp shuffle was somethign that was done a LOT.  people would get something for like 1.10 and then keep the .90 change and do it again and again until they had enough for whatever they needed to pay for with cash because food stamps werent acceptable - like cigs booze or diapers and wipes etc.

Quoting glitterteaz:

you can not get cash for foodstamps EVER.  The thing you are talking about is TANF it is cash assistance and WAY harder to get on.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i call it the food stamp shuffle... but i dont know how it words with those cards.
some people do it because they need the cash to pay for gas or diapers - things they need but cant pay for with food stamps.... unfortunately others do it to pay for cigs or booze or going to the movies and crap like that. 

This is most likely the way I have witnessed it happening.

YOu haven't seen this since the late '90s...almost 20 years!

mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting glitterteaz:

You mis-read. I never said you did not have empathy for the poor at all. Just that you do not get the whole in and outs of the different systems aka...food stamps/ ebt/ SNAP and TANF programs. 

I just suggested your presentation of this story came across all wrong. Merely letting you know that it would have came across better if you presented it more causiously since you do not really have a grasp for the programs and did not fact check the story. KWIM? 

I swear it is easier to explain on the phone than in text.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting glitterteaz:

It is all in presentation. Insead of saying "don't attack me"  You should have said I found this story and brought some questions to mind. Then state what you do not and do get from the story yourself.  Then this story may have been better recieved.  I know you have never had to truely struggle and need this type of assistance so coming from a place of questioning honestly the story in the OP  I think you would have been better recieved.  Huggles!!! I know I take ya to task some times but as you see you have now learned a bit more about the other side of he tracks and may approach it a bit more wisely in the future.  That is what I like about you... your rough around the edges at times and older than I but you still grow as a person instead of strictly digging in your heels.  

But yes there is people who use their funds in shadey ways and I wish that they would remove the cash option making it so that they money goes to what it is intended.  I mean they could program the stupid card reader to only allow it to buy clothes or be used for gas etc.  I mean after all foodstamps can not buy energy drinks the card machine knows what is bought so why not do the same with TANF

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting glitterteaz:

point is you have a jumping point for a convo when you start off with legitimate facts. You also know to verify your stories before putting them in here. There is abuse but on the grand scheme of things there is far fewer fish to fry when it comes to welfare fraud than there is are in corporations and insurance companies. The difference is pennies to dollars.  

Also if you knew about TANF it is for needs other than food like gas and clothing etc.  Using a ATM takes cash that could be used for that gas and therefore the purchase of one grape would be cheaper than a $2 to $3 AM fee.  Which would you rather the lady use to get her gas? Get more gas for her welfare dollar or the bank get her exra gallon of gas that she is using to look for work?  

This story is just too flawed to have a legitimate discussion about welfare fraud

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting glitterteaz:

so why not start a discussion with a legitimate senario instead of flat out lies. You are better than this. 

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting glitterteaz:

Poodles this is a lie and y ou know it. You may have seen TANF abused but there is no way in hell you seen anyone get cash from their foodstamps at a grocery store ANYWHERE. You really need to correct the story so it is not a blatant lie.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting ashellbell:

Can someone explain to me how this woman was fraudulent?

I guess unless the woman in line behind her watched her turn around and use that same cash for beer and ciggs, or the nail salon, we cannot know. 

I have seen fraud with my own eyes though, so I know it's done.  And that is the issue here--those that abuse the system, not that she was going to go and buy something healthy or beneficial with the cash back. 

The story is not mine---I did not write it. Not my words so I have nothing to retract. The fact is, there is abuse to the system and that is the issue I wanted to discuss.

I didn't post it thinking it was a false story...but there IS abuse in the system, is there not? 

Too many people are more worried about the stupid story than the issue of welfare abuse.  Kind of like not looking at the troubles in the middle east and talking laughing about  Big Bird instead.  Deflect, deflect. 

Ok, point taken.  I don't know the difference between tanf/atm/snap/pa/ebt/welf/pa...whatever they call it---never had any of them.  But I did not question if the story was actually true when I posted it.  I thought the grape thing was cute, so I shared it. 

But it is true that I have personally seen people use something and get cash back, turn around and buy things that I don't think are included in a program that's suppose to assist them with their needs. 

Fair enough---thanks for the huggle.

But if you'll read thru some of my comments I didn't ever say I didn't take pity on those in need---I KNOW there are people that fight and struggle to make ends meet and I feel bad about that.  My own brother has struggled all his life---I've seen it close hand, even if I've never personally had to face hardship.  My heart is open---but I don't like seeing abuse either. 

No, I got ya.  But many times conservatives are accused of being heartless and uncaring because we want to see reform to the system.  Not saying you ever attacked me, but I have been attacked---that's why I wrote what I did---I knew there would be those that would chew on me.

I actually thought the story was kind of funny---not eating the grape and all...but people just get so wound up  Lighten up, folks---it was just an e-mail.  lol

You want to see reforms to the system but have no flippin clue how it works as it is. How much sense does that make? 

People want change for the sake of change, change based on fear-based myths and legends and not facts on how things work ...very frustrating....

If you knew anything about the system you so want to see "reformed"   you'd know from the initial reading of this story, it is false .... there's nothing "cute" about this at all, not cute and not becoming. "Oh how cute she bought one grape" - bullshit Poodles. Forget the rhetoric about being a taxpayer and using the vote and all that right?? There's no message here just a "cute" story about a lady and a grape ...

Come on ...

And before you get behind "reforming" or "changing" anything make sure the wheel is truly broken or atleast know what part of the damn car needs fixed.... 

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

hahahah it was the later 90s i think.  and i wasnt trying to impart some infinite wisdom - i was simply sharing something i knew of.  and i am sure people STILL find ways to get around all that.  but yeah i dont have 2012 experience with foodstamps or welfare fraud methods. ;)  

Quoting glitterteaz:

welcome out of the 80s that is not possible anymore

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i dont know what youre talking about.. because im talking about a while back..i shouldve been more specifc.  sorry my bad.
when food stamps were actually like dollar bills..in denominations.  and the food stamp shuffle was somethign that was done a LOT.  people would get something for like 1.10 and then keep the .90 change and do it again and again until they had enough for whatever they needed to pay for with cash because food stamps werent acceptable - like cigs booze or diapers and wipes etc.

Quoting glitterteaz:

you can not get cash for foodstamps EVER.  The thing you are talking about is TANF it is cash assistance and WAY harder to get on.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i call it the food stamp shuffle... but i dont know how it words with those cards.
some people do it because they need the cash to pay for gas or diapers - things they need but cant pay for with food stamps.... unfortunately others do it to pay for cigs or booze or going to the movies and crap like that. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Ok, so I've put some thought in to why I find this article so off putting. The writer is quick to point out the 'luxuries' the woman seems to have (clean clothes, nails done, hair done) as if people who receive assistance aren't allowed to have these things, that all people who are on PA should look like scum. That it's impossible that someone may have treated her to these things, or maybe she saved her Pennies to have these things done. It makes it seem like anyone who has "nice" things on PA are somehow abusing the system. It's generalizing and it's wrong. I also don't like how this person automatically points out fraud because they don't understand the different forms of PA. This whole article is disturbing and people are dumb enough to buy it as truth..I just don't like it. It lacks substance. Poods, I'm a little disappointed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care what people do with their assistance, barring hurting others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PortiaRose
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM
I do that at Savemart. I will buy groceries and then buy some toilet paper or something and get cash back.

Quoting MamatoKy:

It was food stamps or cash assistance???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

Ok, so I've put some thought in to why I find this article so off putting. The writer is quick to point out the 'luxuries' the woman seems to have (clean clothes, nails done, hair done) as if people who receive assistance aren't allowed to have these things, that all people who are on PA should look like scum. That it's impossible that someone may have treated her to these things, or maybe she saved her Pennies to have these things done. It makes it seem like anyone who has "nice" things on PA are somehow abusing the system. It's generalizing and it's wrong. I also don't like how this person automatically points out fraud because they don't understand the different forms of PA. This whole article is disturbing and people are dumb enough to buy it as truth..I just don't like it. It lacks substance. Poods, I'm a little disappointed.

This brings to mind the time hubby told me my nails looked good for fake ones lol.  I have never had my nails done but when I was young they were always long and painted.  Polish costs very little, do people really have an issue with people havng pretty nails?  How do we know who paints their own and who gets them painted?i

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN