Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Wisconsin Lawmaker Claims ‘Some Girls Rape Easy’

Posted by   + Show Post
A Wisconsin state lawmaker endorsed by Paul Ryan has come under criticism for suggesting that “some girls rape easy.” While discussing a case in which “a 17-year-old high school senior was charged with sexual assault for having sex with an underage girl in the school’s band room,” State Rep. Roger Rivard (R) told the Chetek Alert newspaper in December that his father taught him that some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant. He is now claiming that those remarks were taken out of context and has issued a statement condemning sexual violence:

On Wednesday, Rivard told the Journal Sentinel the article did not provide full context of his comments and that his father’s exact words had been slightly different from how they appeared in the Chetek Alert.

He told the Journal Sentinel that his father had advised him not to have premarital sex, and he took that seriously.

“He also told me one thing, ‘If you do (have premarital sex), just remember, consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry,’ ” Rivard said. “Because all of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she’s not going to say, ‘Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.’ All that she has to say or the parents have to say is it was rape because she’s underage. And he just said, ‘Remember, Roger, if you go down that road, some girls,’ he said, ‘they rape so easy.’

“What the whole genesis of it was, it was advice to me, telling me, ‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’ So the way he said it was, ‘Just remember, Roger, some girls, they rape so easy. It may be rape the next morning.’

“So it’s been kind of taken out of context.”

Ryan endorsed Rivard on August 9, just two days before he was selected to be Mitt Romney’s running mate. “Roger needs to be reaffirmed to get this job done and fix the State of Wisconsin,” Ryan said.

http://m.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/state-legislator-criticized-for-comments-on-rape-hj76f4k-173587961.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Considering the context and time frame this was said, it makes more sense than if it was offered as advice today. Back then it wasn't acceptable for a young lady to want sex so of course she'd have to lie to cover her indiscretion but in today's world that taboo isn't quite as strong. 

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Then I apologize to you.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I quoted GL and commented on what she said.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Now YOU are taking what I said out of context. Did I EVER say that's the way they are treated?

We start with the concept that all victims are telling the truth. That doesn't mean that during the course of an interview and further investigation the story unfolds into something else or the complaint is indeed founded.

Police Officers, detectives etcetera cannot afford to take a person's word "at face value". We would not be doing our jobs correctly, or thoroughly - regardless of crime.

Rape victims and children are always referred to The Special Victims Unit. They specialize in conducting interviews in these types of cases. What they determine us where the investigation leads.

Don't put words in my mouth.
Quoting cjsbmom:

This is exactly why most women don't even bother to report they've been raped. Why bother, when you are going to be criminalized and made to feel like you're lying?

Quoting GLWerth:

So, do you begin with the assumption that the woman is lying?

I ask because that seems to be the direction we're headed as a society. Women are always lying about rape....or so we're told, poor, poor men NEVER rape, they are just misunderstood, it was totally consensual, she likes it rough, etc..

What this man said was wrong and shows his attitude toward women in general.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

"some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant"

"‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’"

Sad to say, but I've encountered these types of scenarios many times during the course of my police work. Girls who have alleged rape only to be found out that it wasn't. Even women who have cheated on their husbands or boyfriends have used similar lines.

So yes, I can see how the quote was taken out of context. We shouldn't be surprised however, because this is what the media does.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nb34
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Since when under age girls can consent to sex? By definition they are minors and can't consent. So what this douche-bag and his even more of a douche-bag father are saying just does not make sense. Who are these sick fucks and why are they all running for office all of a sudden? Urgh.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks, but that's not necessary. I get why this is a hot button issue for you. :)

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Then I apologize to you.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I quoted GL and commented on what she said.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Now YOU are taking what I said out of context. Did I EVER say that's the way they are treated?

We start with the concept that all victims are telling the truth. That doesn't mean that during the course of an interview and further investigation the story unfolds into something else or the complaint is indeed founded.

Police Officers, detectives etcetera cannot afford to take a person's word "at face value". We would not be doing our jobs correctly, or thoroughly - regardless of crime.

Rape victims and children are always referred to The Special Victims Unit. They specialize in conducting interviews in these types of cases. What they determine us where the investigation leads.

Don't put words in my mouth.
Quoting cjsbmom:

This is exactly why most women don't even bother to report they've been raped. Why bother, when you are going to be criminalized and made to feel like you're lying?

Quoting GLWerth:

I ask because that seems to be the direction we're headed as a society. Women are always lying about rape....or so we're told, poor, poor men NEVER rape, they are just misunderstood, it was totally consensual, she likes it rough, etc..

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

"‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’"

Sad to say, but I've encountered these types of scenarios many times during the course of my police work. Girls who have alleged rape only to be found out that it wasn't. Even women who have cheated on their husbands or boyfriends have used similar lines.

So yes, I can see how the quote was taken out of context. We shouldn't be surprised however, because this is what the media does.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

The problem is, underage girls are often having sex with underage boys, or with boyfriends who are older than they are. So there can be an issue with this. But this lawmaker's comments, like so many before him, are crass.

And honestly, I don't think these kinds of morons are all of sudden running. I think they have always been around, but it just seems more acceptable to come out with their twisted views now since so many of them will stand up and support the shit they say.

Quoting nb34:

Since when under age girls can consent to sex? By definition they are minors and can't consent. So what this douche-bag and his even more of a douche-bag father are saying just does not make sense. Who are these sick fucks and why are they all running for office all of a sudden? Urgh.

GLWerth
by Gina on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for answering my question.

I believe you when you say that you don't begin with that assumption, however, there are officers out there who do. Not all, probably not even most, but there are times (more than any of us would like to believe) that a woman will be victimized again by the police, then, if she chooses to move forward, again by the court system. The victim is all too often treated worse than her rapist.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

No. Never begin with the assumption that the girl or woman is lying. However, in my Dep't., rape victims are all interviewed by the Special Victims Unit. Usually that is where the deception is revealed or the complaint is substantiated. Once they are done with their interviews - we move forward or don't with the complaint.
Quoting GLWerth:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

GLWerth
by Gina on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

What I highlighted in Red is the most scary thing about our society right now.

It has become acceptable and even laudable in some circles to say these things. It's like we're going backward.

Quoting cjsbmom:

The problem is, underage girls are often having sex with underage boys, or with boyfriends who are older than they are. So there can be an issue with this. But this lawmaker's comments, like so many before him, are crass.

And honestly, I don't think these kinds of morons are all of sudden running. I think they have always been around, but it just seems more acceptable to come out with their twisted views now since so many of them will stand up and support the shit they say.

Quoting nb34:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
So the context of the statement was sex with underage girls, and he isn't saying that he meant with adult women? Wow, well, then it is rape, right? At least depending on the age of the alleged rapist & the state's specific laws where the act occured.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe we need to do something to get rid of these imbicils who seem to keep multiplying

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

....." Rapists and people who think girls rape easy - yes ma'am I am."

If that's what you truly believe that it's okay to murder politicians and people because they are "ignorant fucks", then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Quoting mikiemom:

Rapists and people who think girls rape easy - yes ma'am I am. We need to cull the herd a bit and get rid of some of these idiots who think raping a woman is ok. OH and I do believe that law enforcement starts out looking for ways out of doing their job IE prosecuting rapists. Rape is not considered a real crime by many in law enforcement - unless it happens to a man that is.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

So you advocate for shooting and murdering people now?

Quoting mikiemom:

I swear to god all of these ignorant fucks need to be taken out back and shot straight through groin and then head. sickening.

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Hi,

It doesnt matter what these men do.Ideology of the right view is all that matters with some.

I find both Romney and Ryans view of women disturbing.Romney and Ryan even want to cut out womens rights to recieve birth control in the Roe-vs-Wade policey(smh).Alot of women cant see through the green in Romneys eyes....he just wants their vote....forget about principles and rights of women....lets go backwards.To some women with extreme right views Romney and Ryan are their hero....despite

~Tia

http://thinkprogress.org/romney-facts/?mobile=nc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)