Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Wisconsin Lawmaker Claims ‘Some Girls Rape Easy’

Posted by   + Show Post
A Wisconsin state lawmaker endorsed by Paul Ryan has come under criticism for suggesting that “some girls rape easy.” While discussing a case in which “a 17-year-old high school senior was charged with sexual assault for having sex with an underage girl in the school’s band room,” State Rep. Roger Rivard (R) told the Chetek Alert newspaper in December that his father taught him that some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant. He is now claiming that those remarks were taken out of context and has issued a statement condemning sexual violence:

On Wednesday, Rivard told the Journal Sentinel the article did not provide full context of his comments and that his father’s exact words had been slightly different from how they appeared in the Chetek Alert.

He told the Journal Sentinel that his father had advised him not to have premarital sex, and he took that seriously.

“He also told me one thing, ‘If you do (have premarital sex), just remember, consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry,’ ” Rivard said. “Because all of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she’s not going to say, ‘Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.’ All that she has to say or the parents have to say is it was rape because she’s underage. And he just said, ‘Remember, Roger, if you go down that road, some girls,’ he said, ‘they rape so easy.’

“What the whole genesis of it was, it was advice to me, telling me, ‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’ So the way he said it was, ‘Just remember, Roger, some girls, they rape so easy. It may be rape the next morning.’

“So it’s been kind of taken out of context.”

Ryan endorsed Rivard on August 9, just two days before he was selected to be Mitt Romney’s running mate. “Roger needs to be reaffirmed to get this job done and fix the State of Wisconsin,” Ryan said.

http://m.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/state-legislator-criticized-for-comments-on-rape-hj76f4k-173587961.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
SLTmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
In a broader context, yes. However, if the young girl in question is UNDER THE AGE OF CONSENT, then there is no consent. And the Representative was not discussing this in the context of confusing rape laws, and a need to review them.

No, he was talking about how, in a particular case, one cannot always take the word of a victim, because "some girls rape easy".

He is an asshole, and this just goes to his state of mind regarding these types of cases.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

0_o

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I really don't understand how they can still think that in this day and age - comments like that are acceptable.

Quoting GLWerth:

What I highlighted in Red is the most scary thing about our society right now.

It has become acceptable and even laudable in some circles to say these things. It's like we're going backward.

Quoting cjsbmom:

The problem is, underage girls are often having sex with underage boys, or with boyfriends who are older than they are. So there can be an issue with this. But this lawmaker's comments, like so many before him, are crass.

And honestly, I don't think these kinds of morons are all of sudden running. I think they have always been around, but it just seems more acceptable to come out with their twisted views now since so many of them will stand up and support the shit they say.

Quoting nb34:

Since when under age girls can consent to sex? By definition they are minors and can't consent. So what this douche-bag and his even more of a douche-bag father are saying just does not make sense. Who are these sick fucks and why are they all running for office all of a sudden? Urgh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM
None of that means she wasn't raped - especially if the guy is saying she did those things. He's saying she asked for it.

Quoting catchup29:

10 years ago, friends of mine had a 15 year old daughter.  Who when her parents found out she had had sex, she cried rape.  She said the guy forced her into his car and raped her and then threw her out of the car.  (A football player, she was a cheerleader, this was after practice)

After investigating, they found out that she willingly went in the car with him.  AFTER she sat on his lap on the bleachers and lifted her skirt off, telling him to "do it righ there".  

So the man does have a point where girls will cry rape after, after they get caught or feel ashamed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catchup29
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Stephanie329:

None of that means she wasn't raped - especially if the guy is saying she did those things. He's saying she asked for it.

Quoting catchup29:

10 years ago, friends of mine had a 15 year old daughter.  Who when her parents found out she had had sex, she cried rape.  She said the guy forced her into his car and raped her and then threw her out of the car.  (A football player, she was a cheerleader, this was after practice)

After investigating, they found out that she willingly went in the car with him.  AFTER she sat on his lap on the bleachers and lifted her skirt off, telling him to "do it righ there".  

So the man does have a point where girls will cry rape after, after they get caught or feel ashamed.

She admitted she lied.  

I know its rare, but women do like about it.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

lol

His long explanation didn't make it any better!!!

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quoting SLTmom:

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that if the girl was underage, then it IS rape, as a minor cannot consent.

But, hey, you know, context.

/sigh

Exactly right.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

"some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant"

"‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’"

Sad to say, but I've encountered these types of scenarios many times during the course of my police work. Girls who have alleged rape only to be found out that it wasn't. Even women who have cheated on their husbands or boyfriends have used similar lines.

So yes, I can see how the quote was taken out of context. We shouldn't be surprised however, because this is what the media does.

I don't believe that is really what he meant, though, by the phrase "some girls rape easy."

lga1965
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM

throwing upangry

Jalestra
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey, I can't disagree. I have 3 boys and 2 girls and I have to protect both of them. Maybe the choice of words isn't the best choice, but this is something I'm going to have to warn my sons about. Some girls lie, so be VERY sure before you go in just what type of girl you're with. Some girls want to, right up until their parents find out., then suddenly it's "rape". Just as I'm going to teach my girls responsibility, I'm going to make sure my boys understand it, too. And I understand what he's saying, they go into it willing (easy, but not in the slut sense, just it's all willing and great) and then suddenly he's being arrested for "rape". 

I think too many people see "rape" and just knee-jerk react to it, but what he says makes perfect sense. The example was truth, it was all willing and then suddenly mom and dad find out and it's "age of consent" or rape. We should be able to discuss these issues, because it is NOT fair for young men to ambushed like this. I'd hardly call a 17 year old boy sleeping with a 16 year old girl a true "age of consent" issue. You do not turn 17 and magically become all knowing. I believe age of consent was more for adult vs young person issues and not for the boy who turned 17 in high school and is still dating girls from his high school. I think this IS something that needs to be discussed and brought to light, in order to protect both true rape victims and those who are being victimized by the false cry.

I also believe that cops should be able to investigate a rape, while also always entertaining the idea that she COULD be lying. There is a way to show respect to the victim while also investigating all aspects of a case. Knee jerk reactions are not helping any of them, police, victim, or supposed guilty party. We should be looking to answers for all these problems, not becoming emotional every time we hear the word "rape".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN