Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wisconsin Lawmaker Claims ‘Some Girls Rape Easy’

Posted by   + Show Post
A Wisconsin state lawmaker endorsed by Paul Ryan has come under criticism for suggesting that “some girls rape easy.” While discussing a case in which “a 17-year-old high school senior was charged with sexual assault for having sex with an underage girl in the school’s band room,” State Rep. Roger Rivard (R) told the Chetek Alert newspaper in December that his father taught him that some girls will portray a sexual encounter as rape if they become pregnant. He is now claiming that those remarks were taken out of context and has issued a statement condemning sexual violence:

On Wednesday, Rivard told the Journal Sentinel the article did not provide full context of his comments and that his father’s exact words had been slightly different from how they appeared in the Chetek Alert.

He told the Journal Sentinel that his father had advised him not to have premarital sex, and he took that seriously.

“He also told me one thing, ‘If you do (have premarital sex), just remember, consensual sex can turn into rape in an awful hurry,’ ” Rivard said. “Because all of a sudden a young lady gets pregnant and the parents are madder than a wet hen and she’s not going to say, ‘Oh, yeah, I was part of the program.’ All that she has to say or the parents have to say is it was rape because she’s underage. And he just said, ‘Remember, Roger, if you go down that road, some girls,’ he said, ‘they rape so easy.’

“What the whole genesis of it was, it was advice to me, telling me, ‘If you’re going to go down that road, you may have consensual sex that night and then the next morning it may be rape.’ So the way he said it was, ‘Just remember, Roger, some girls, they rape so easy. It may be rape the next morning.’

“So it’s been kind of taken out of context.”

Ryan endorsed Rivard on August 9, just two days before he was selected to be Mitt Romney’s running mate. “Roger needs to be reaffirmed to get this job done and fix the State of Wisconsin,” Ryan said.

http://m.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/state-legislator-criticized-for-comments-on-rape-hj76f4k-173587961.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:33 AM
Replies (51-58):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I think either way it is a stupid way of trying to tell your kid about premartial sex.  It seems to me he was trying to scare him into not doing it period,and just used a very poor analogy to prove or try to get his point across:/

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

As a politician, it was a stupid thing to say, but when if the anecdote is true, then it sounds as if his father was giving him a lesson in thinking before you act.  That said, I bet his dad never thought he would blab that crap all over the place.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM

You know, I have been thinking this all through this thread.  Women wouldn't feel the need to call rape when it was not, after getting "caught" (whatever that means) if they had a right to their own sexuality.

However the instances of crying foul are nowhere near the actual instances of unreported rape.  I don't think women feel empowered either to be sexual or to NOT be sexual.  It's because of idiots like this guy in the OP.  

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree. When we teach girls personal responsibility, birth control, ect we won't have young ladies crying wolf if they get caught. For far too long ladies had to play coy, act chaste when they were horny little teenagers too. It's sending them messages to be deceitful and manipulative. I just don't understand why anyone would advocate that.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Considering the context and time frame this was said, it makes more sense than if it was offered as advice today. Back then it wasn't acceptable for a young lady to want sex so of course she'd have to lie to cover her indiscretion but in today's world that taboo isn't quite as strong. 

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM
I agree.

Quoting stacymomof2:

You know, I have been thinking this all through this thread.  Women wouldn't feel the need to call rape when it was not, after getting "caught" (whatever that means) if they had a right to their own sexuality.

However the instances of crying foul are nowhere near the actual instances of unreported rape.  I don't think women feel empowered either to be sexual or to NOT be sexual.  It's because of idiots like this guy in the OP.  

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree. When we teach girls personal responsibility, birth control, ect we won't have young ladies crying wolf if they get caught. For far too long ladies had to play coy, act chaste when they were horny little teenagers too. It's sending them messages to be deceitful and manipulative. I just don't understand why anyone would advocate that.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Considering the context and time frame this was said, it makes more sense than if it was offered as advice today. Back then it wasn't acceptable for a young lady to want sex so of course she'd have to lie to cover her indiscretion but in today's world that taboo isn't quite as strong. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smileber
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

It is all too common anymore for a girl to cry "rape" when, in fact, she was probably the more willing candidate. As a victim, it is a very, very serious crime. However, I have to fully admit that anymore, it is just an easy way out. I hate to have to say that, but young girls these days have found a sort of solace in pinning consensual sex as rape to better save themselves. I am not at all saying that women that say they have been raped have not in fact been raped, but I have heard of many that say that they have yet haven't more than I have heard of those that have come out. This is just so sad and disheartening. It is because of girls like these that I never could turn in my abusers.

This is why I feel parents should better communicate sex with their children, leave the door open to them rather than making them feel like whores if they do decide to commit the act. This is also why I feel sex ed in schools should not be taken so lightly.

My name is Amber. I am a housewife of a US Airman. I am a mommy to our angel babies, our two furbabiesand am now TTC our first little bundle.<3 I have lived the life I loved, and love the life I live.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yep.  You don't see men calling rape after a shady, drunken one night stand.  They get a slap on the back.  Women often struggle with guilt and being looked down on in society.

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

I agree.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

Quoting Woodbabe:

tunkyspunk
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

anytime a guy "donates" his sperm to a woman puss, she --might-- get pregnant, and that is always a chance he takes. he then loses cunt-trol as to what she sez or duz after that. so its often better to use lotsa formsa burth control or just slam a real-life fuhkdoll insted.

JKronrod
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Amen.  As the mother of three sons (19, 13 and 5) and one daughter (11) I can only agree.  No one wants to go back to the bad old days where the assumption was that the woman/girl was "asking for it," (and I didn't read his words that way).  But these days it seems almost as if we've gone the OTHER way -- look at that horrible case at Duke.  For whatever reason, women DO sometimes lie about this.  Or -- and this was the way I interpreted the words -- because it is now socially acceptable for unmarried people to have sexual relations, a man and a woman can get into a situation where there is a serious misunderstanding, especially when the woman changes her mind somewhere in the middle of things (or, yes, even after).  Those are tragic -- from a physical and emotional perspective often the woman HAS been raped, but the man had no intention of truly forcing her (and PLEASE don't quote at me "'No' means 'no'".  If you change your mind after you are naked and in bed, you cannot reasonably expect a guy to stop.)  This isn't the classic "rape is an act of violence."  Unfortunately, rather  than expecting both parties to take some responsibility, the guy is generally the one who is not only blamed, but deemed a criminal.      

If we expect that young people will have sex outside of marriage we need to be having more nuanced conversations about the bad things that can happen and more nuanced responses. 

Quoting Jalestra:

Hey, I can't disagree. I have 3 boys and 2 girls and I have to protect both of them. Maybe the choice of words isn't the best choice, but this is something I'm going to have to warn my sons about. Some girls lie, so be VERY sure before you go in just what type of girl you're with. Some girls want to, right up until their parents find out., then suddenly it's "rape". Just as I'm going to teach my girls responsibility, I'm going to make sure my boys understand it, too. And I understand what he's saying, they go into it willing (easy, but not in the slut sense, just it's all willing and great) and then suddenly he's being arrested for "rape". 

I think too many people see "rape" and just knee-jerk react to it, but what he says makes perfect sense. The example was truth, it was all willing and then suddenly mom and dad find out and it's "age of consent" or rape. We should be able to discuss these issues, because it is NOT fair for young men to ambushed like this. I'd hardly call a 17 year old boy sleeping with a 16 year old girl a true "age of consent" issue. You do not turn 17 and magically become all knowing. I believe age of consent was more for adult vs young person issues and not for the boy who turned 17 in high school and is still dating girls from his high school. I think this IS something that needs to be discussed and brought to light, in order to protect both true rape victims and those who are being victimized by the false cry.

I also believe that cops should be able to investigate a rape, while also always entertaining the idea that she COULD be lying. There is a way to show respect to the victim while also investigating all aspects of a case. Knee jerk reactions are not helping any of them, police, victim, or supposed guilty party. We should be looking to answers for all these problems, not becoming emotional every time we hear the word "rape".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured