Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CORRUPTION: Bain-Controlled Company Owns 2012 Voting Machines

Owners Of Electronic Voting Machine Company Are Romney Super-Fans

Photo: Roger Barone/flickr

We’re not really into conspiracy theories here, so let us just say this upfront: We are not presenting the following article as any kind of conspiracy theory. We will say, though, that the people who own voting machines in some pretty important swing states have a pretty remarkable bias toward Mitt Romney and, you know, someone should probably keep an eye on this, no?

Okay, so here’s what we know:

Hart InterCivic is a national provider of election voting systems that are used in swing-states Ohio and Colorado, as well as in states we don’t really care about so much because we already know how they’ll turn out (e.g., Texas, Oklahoma, and Hawaii). Private equity firm H.I.G. Capital, LLC bought out a “significant” portion of Hart in July of 2011, and now the majority of Hart’s board directors are employees of H.I.G. (It’s not entirely clear how much of the voting machine company H.I.G. owns, but the financial advisors responsible for the transaction state that “Hart Intercivic was acquired by HIG Capital.”)

H.I.G., in turn, has ties to Bain & Co. and Mitt Romney directly:

• Of H.I.G.’s 22 American directors, 21 donated to Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign. One person made no political donations at all;  one person donated to both Mitt Romney and Barack Obama; the remaining 20 directors donated exclusively to Mitt Romney in 2012. (See below for links to donations.)

• Of these 22 American directors, seven of them (nearly one-third) are former Bain employees. Now, we should note (as a reader helpfully pointed out), this is Bain & Co., which Mitt Romney left in order to start the affiliated Bain Capital. The connection is therefore a little more tenuous, but we still find H.I.G.’s overwhelming allegiance and financial support of the Romney campaign surprising (not that it’s surprising that a private equity company would lean Republican, but this level of support is pretty unusual).

• Four of H.I.G.’s directors, Tony Tamer, John Bolduc, Douglas Berman, and Brian D. Schwartz,  are Romney bundlers along with former Bain and H.I.G. manager Brian Shortsleeve.
  • H.I.G. employees currently make up the majority of the Hart InterCivic’s five-member board of directors. Two of these three directors of the voting machine company, Neil Tuch and Jeff Bohl,  have donated directly to Mitt Romney’s campaign.
  • H.I.G. is the 11th largest donor to Mitt Romney’s campaign. H.I.G. employees have given $338,000 to the Romney campaign, outpacing even Bain Capital itself, which gave  $268,000.

Now, to be fair, besides the fact that H.I.G. employees make up the majority of Hart’s board of directors, we don’t know exactly how much control H.I.G. is able to exert over the voting machine company’s day-to-day operations. Plus, it seems like it would be pretty difficult to mess with the software without anyone finding out about it. Moreover, just from a cost-benefit standpoint, it doesn’t really make sense that these H.I.G. directors would commit a felony and risk their super-lucrative careers just to get their Bain bro elected.

But that said, this still makes us a little… uncomfortable. For instance, what if irregularities or honest mistakes are suspected (and this is a real possibility: Hart InterCivic has previously had some pretty major malfunctions in its voting systems)? The documentation will then be in the hands of Hart/H.I.G.

*Obligatory Amazon.com plug: Need to buy something on Amazon? Why not be awesome and buy it through this super helpful link we are providing right here?

Links to H.I.G.’s American directors:

Tony Tamer – Bain alum; Romney bundler; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Sami Mnaymneh – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign as well as Barack Obama’s campaign

Douglas Berman – Bain alum; Romney bundler; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

John Bolduc – Bain alum; Romney bundler; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Rick Rosen – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Brian Schwartz – bundler for the Romney campaign; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Timothy Armstrong – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

John Black – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Dave Blechman – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Peter Cornetta – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Marc Kramer – No known donations to presidential campaigns

Chris Laitala – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Elliot Maluth – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

William Nolan – Bain alum; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Michael Phillips – Bain alum; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Matt Sanford – Bain alum; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Lewis Schoenwetter – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Richard Stokes – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Neil Tuch – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Bret Wiener – donated exclusively to Mitt Romney’s campaign for 2012; donated initially to Mitt Romney and then to Barack Obama during the 2008 election

Rob Wolfson – donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Jeff Zanarini – Bain alum; donated to Mitt Romney’s campaign

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I'm waiting for the conservative spin. I get dizzy very easily, though.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sneffy014:

I saw an article similar to this years ago. If Republicans have been making the voting machines for a while now and had influence. how did Obama get elected?

I don't believe anyone suggested they Rig Every Election.

And the ties from the Company are to Mitt Romney-Did Mitt Romney run for President Last Election? If Mitt Romney is related (Business wise) to most of these people and these people invest in Mitt Romney.

It's in their best interest that he wins (Investment wise) and since they are friends/business partners then they will want him to win even more.

Does that automatically means they will rig it? Of course not. But it only takes one of them, or one of their workers to rig some machines.

As someone stated earlier these machines are already vulnerable and easy to manipulate. We shouldn't be placing people who are directly invested in one of the parties to control these machines.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM

sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting sneffy014:

I saw an article similar to this years ago. If Republicans have been making the voting machines for a while now and had influence. how did Obama get elected?

And the ties from the Company are to Mitt Romney-Did Mitt Romney run for President Last Election? If Mitt Romney is related (Business wise) to most of these people and these people invest in Mitt Romney.

It's in their best interest that he wins (Investment wise) and since they are friends/business partners then they will want him to win even more.

Does that automatically means they will rig it? Of course not. But it only takes one of them, or one of their workers to rig some machines.

As someone stated earlier these machines are already vulnerable and easy to manipulate. We shouldn't be placing people who are directly invested in one of the parties to control these machines.

Just seems like grasping for staws to me since the election may be closer than anyone originally thought.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting sneffy014:

Just seems like grasping for staws to me since the election may be closer than anyone originally thought.

So you honestly don't think it looks suspicious at all?

That 21 of 22 of the American Director's voted for Mitt Romney?
That the Company was founded by a Former worker for Mitt Romney? And he was also a bundler for Mitt Romney's campaign?
That of the 22, 7 of them are former workers for Mitt Romney?
That 4 of the 22 were bundler's for Mitt Romney's campaign?
That 2 of these 22 people were at Mitt Romney's 50,000 a plate fundraiser?
That H.I.G is the 11th bigger donor to Mitt Romney?

And they own Voting machines doesn't raise any concern to you?

If it helps put things in perspective-Ask yourself if you would feel the same way if it was President Obama that owned these voting machines.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Imagine - a successful businesman knows other businessmen and they support him!  Oh the drama!!!!    Are the Dems just trying to prepare reason for Obama losing in November????    

I work for a company that has many contracts with the goverment and ALL of this type of information has to be disclosed, documents are signed and notarized.  If the govt determines anyone lied, then that company is baned.  So....if something funky does go down in November, you can point those fingers straight at the goverment agency that agreed to use this company because that means that they ddin't do their due diligence.

sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it doesn't look suspicious to me at all. The government has a testing system in place for our election process. http://www.eac.gov/  I think this is just an attempt to influence and inflame voters. If the current administration had any problem with the voting machines they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

You really don't see a difference in knowing other businessmen and someone having their former employees owning voting machines, well they invest in his campaign, and raise money for his campaign, and they are part of an organization that is his 11th highest donor?

This situation is not just a businesman knowing other businessmen.

And you don't think it makes more sense to look at something now-To figure out if it is just a coincidence that a group of people with so many ties to Mitt Romney owning voting machines looks suspicious and figure out if there should be more oversight done there then just close our eyes and see if things happen?

I imagine even  if this story broke out and everyone was watching them because of it even if someone had planned to act alone and rig some of the machines they might be a lot more afraid if they realize the public is watching.

Quoting KenneMaw:

Imagine - a successful businesman knows other businessmen and they support him!  Oh the drama!!!!    Are the Dems just trying to prepare reason for Obama losing in November????    

I work for a company that has many contracts with the goverment and ALL of this type of information has to be disclosed, documents are signed and notarized.  If the govt determines anyone lied, then that company is baned.  So....if something funky does go down in November, you can point those fingers straight at the goverment agency that agreed to use this company because that means that they ddin't do their due diligence.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Yeah-Because the government has never missed a beat, or made a mistake.

Again-No one has said there is foul play. What we are saying is there is reason for suspicion. And reason to keep a sharp eye out.

Quoting sneffy014:

No, it doesn't look suspicious to me at all. The government has a testing system in place for our election process. http://www.eac.gov/  I think this is just an attempt to influence and inflame voters. If the current administration had any problem with the voting machines they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting sneffy014:

So you honestly don't think it looks suspicious at all?

That 21 of 22 of the American Director's voted for Mitt Romney?
That the Company was founded by a Former worker for Mitt Romney? And he was also a bundler for Mitt Romney's campaign?
That of the 22, 7 of them are former workers for Mitt Romney?
That 4 of the 22 were bundler's for Mitt Romney's campaign?
That 2 of these 22 people were at Mitt Romney's 50,000 a plate fundraiser?
That H.I.G is the 11th bigger donor to Mitt Romney?

And they own Voting machines doesn't raise any concern to you?

If it helps put things in perspective-Ask yourself if you would feel the same way if it was President Obama that owned these voting machines.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Sorry, but I just don't find reason for suspicion. Owning the company that makes voting machines doesn't equate to changing the votes. Christ, has the world really come to this? That everything is a conspiracy? Those big fraud machines didn't help Romney win the primary in '08.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN