Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Conservatives who disagree with social programs should not work in community action.

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 68 Replies

Do you think?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM
5 moms liked this

Agree, I also think Senators who don't believe in Science should be on any congressional science committee

garnet83
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I believe this to be accurate. Conservatives, generally, are all of these. However, we don't care for able-bodied people who have made a lifestyle out of government benefits, nor for holding back those who are successful, or creating division among the American people by portraying successful people as villains for having made good decisions and investments. Those who are well off, hopefully, will reach out and help those who genuinely need help getting on their feet or overcoming unfortunate circumstances. However, we do not feel that it is just or Constitutional for the government to mandate that the successful take financial responsibility for others. While I agree with the above quote, I feel that it leaves much unsaid.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess it depends on what you mean by "community action"  overall I disagree with the statement. If the end goal is to get community involvement in a cause they conservatives have just as much right to work towards that goal as liberals.  

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting katy_kay08:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "community action"  overall I disagree with the statement. If the end goal is to get community involvement in a cause they conservatives have just as much right to work towards that goal as liberals.  

In our area the Community action agency has a food outreach, a clothing outreach and also takes care of several government programs including utility assistance or HEAP as it is called here.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quoting garnet83:

I believe this to be accurate. Conservatives, generally, are all of these. However, we don't care for able-bodied people who have made a lifestyle out of government benefits, nor for holding back those who are successful, or creating division among the American people by portraying successful people as villains for having made good decisions and investments. Those who are well off, hopefully, will reach out and help those who genuinely need help getting on their feet or overcoming unfortunate circumstances. However, we do not feel that it is just or Constitutional for the government to mandate that the successful take financial responsibility for others. While I agree with the above quote, I feel that it leaves much unsaid.

I can respect your viewpoint and the way it is pesented, thank you.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not?

There's a difference between open-ended welfare programs and programs that require responsibility.

I've long said that if a miracle happens and I come into a couple hundred-million, I'd love to open a program that offers job training, transportation and on-site housing to young people between 21 and 40 who are interested in a permanent solution to poverty. However, those people would be thoroughly screened to determine who would be a good investment, and who is likely to fail. Those who have been severely disadvantaged but show potential would receive the opportunity to obtain a high school diploma and driver's license (if necessary), certification training or an associate's degree from an accredited institution, very low-cost housing, daycare services and preventative medical care while they are in the program, and transportation to and from school and appointments in exchange for janitorial, maintenance/groundskeeping or secretarial work for the foundation while they are enrolled in the program.

Of course, I'm not considered a "true" conservative because I'm a Libertarian.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

garnet83
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting garnet83:

I can respect your viewpoint and the way it is pesented, thank you.

My pleasure

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I think you can be a perfectly competent employee while not necessarily agreeing with things.

For instance: we just got a federal child sexual assault case. 20 victims starting as young as 3. There is no way in hell I think this guy is awesome. In fact, I rather hope he dies in prison. I'm still going to do my job and I'll do it just as well for him as I do it for all our other clients. I'm looking through discovery and I'm writing down possible defenses for this. I really hope he's killed in prison though.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I would have such a hard time doing any kind of work for someone like that.

Quoting furbabymum:

I think you can be a perfectly competent employee while not necessarily agreeing with things.

For instance: we just got a federal child sexual assault case. 20 victims starting as young as 3. There is no way in hell I think this guy is awesome. In fact, I rather hope he dies in prison. I'm still going to do my job and I'll do it just as well for him as I do it for all our other clients. I'm looking through discovery and I'm writing down possible defenses for this. I really hope he's killed in prison though.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Are you referencing community action as food banks and programs like that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)