Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Conservatives who disagree with social programs should not work in community action.

Do you think?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
furbabymum
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I'm also a libertarian but with more right leanings than left.

My DH and I have an ultimate goal of opening a dog rescue. We would have on-site housing and employ only disabeled veterans. We would train the dogs we get for various law enforcement tasks, aka drug sniffing, corpse sniffing, etc. Then donate these dogs to small police forces who would be otherwise unable to have them. Our police force, for instance, doesn't have a corpse sniffing dog. They can't afford one.

We aren't waiting for the lottery though. We're working toward it one day at a time. :) Eventually you'll see us in the news!

Quoting radioheid:

Why not?

There's a difference between open-ended welfare programs and programs that require responsibility.

I've long said that if a miracle happens and I come into a couple hundred-million, I'd love to open a program that offers job training, transportation and on-site housing to young people between 21 and 40 who are interested in a permanent solution to poverty. However, those people would be thoroughly screened to determine who would be a good investment, and who is likely to fail. Those who have been severely disadvantaged but show potential would receive the opportunity to obtain a high school diploma and driver's license (if necessary), certification training or an associate's degree from an accredited institution, very low-cost housing, daycare services and preventative medical care while they are in the program, and transportation to and from school and appointments in exchange for janitorial, maintenance/groundskeeping or secretarial work for the foundation while they are enrolled in the program.

Of course, I'm not considered a "true" conservative because I'm a Libertarian.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

I think you can be a perfectly competent employee while not necessarily agreeing with things.

For instance: we just got a federal child sexual assault case. 20 victims starting as young as 3. There is no way in hell I think this guy is awesome. In fact, I rather hope he dies in prison. I'm still going to do my job and I'll do it just as well for him as I do it for all our other clients. I'm looking through discovery and I'm writing down possible defenses for this. I really hope he's killed in prison though.

How about I add "unless you can distance yourself emotionally and be professional in your dealings with people".

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting pamelax3:

Are you referencing community action as food banks and programs like that?

Yes.

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on if they're capable of separating the personal perspective from the job at hand, and that alone will not be easy for many Conservatives.

However, there are also many who are not Conservatives but work in the community programs who've become jaded by what they've seen walk through their doors and the lies they've been told.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

It's hard. Totally hard. Reading the interviews of the kids. Tough man. BUT, this is my job. I may not like it but I'll do it.

I could work in the welfare office. I probably wouldn't like most of the people but those I thought really needed it and I could help, well that'd be worth it. I'd do a great job for everyone though.

Perhaps survivorinohio thinks worse of people than she should.

Quoting pamelax3:

I would have such a hard time doing any kind of work for someone like that.

Quoting furbabymum:

I think you can be a perfectly competent employee while not necessarily agreeing with things.

For instance: we just got a federal child sexual assault case. 20 victims starting as young as 3. There is no way in hell I think this guy is awesome. In fact, I rather hope he dies in prison. I'm still going to do my job and I'll do it just as well for him as I do it for all our other clients. I'm looking through discovery and I'm writing down possible defenses for this. I really hope he's killed in prison though.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You have my respect. That would be so very hard.

I do a lot of community work on a volunteer basis and it just makes me ill at some of the things I see. But like you said I am there to help everyone.

Quoting furbabymum:

It's hard. Totally hard. Reading the interviews of the kids. Tough man. BUT, this is my job. I may not like it but I'll do it.

I could work in the welfare office. I probably wouldn't like most of the people but those I thought really needed it and I could help, well that'd be worth it. I'd do a great job for everyone though.

Perhaps survivorinohio thinks worse of people than she should.

Quoting pamelax3:

I would have such a hard time doing any kind of work for someone like that.

Quoting furbabymum:

furbabymum
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Conservative, liberal, independent, non-political. ANYONE who can't remain professional at their job shouldn't be doing it, no matter what it is. It's wrong of you to say what you did imo.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

How about I add "unless you can distance yourself emotionally and be professional in your dealings with people".

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Youre entitled to feel that way.  I think there are a lot of people in positions that they cannot and do not seperate their political, religious and social convictions from.

Quoting furbabymum:

Conservative, liberal, independent, non-political. ANYONE who can't remain professional at their job shouldn't be doing it, no matter what it is. It's wrong of you to say what you did imo.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting furbabymum:

furbabymum
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I live in a small city. The only food bank I know about is in the catholic church. Conservatives can be very giving, even to those they do not agree with.

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting pamelax3:

Are you referencing community action as food banks and programs like that?

Yes.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I disagree.

Many disagree with government sponsored social programs, but not in helping on an individual level. Most will state that they believe in focusing on churches- and they personally donate time, talent and treasure via this avenue.

Although, that poverty map that has been circulating in the last month seems to indicate something different. It shows that the south is riddled with poverty and has the highest rates of government assistance. Church involvement and attendance is also quite high in this same region. Something is not adding up. Obviously, church donations {time, talent, treasure} are not meeting needs. I wonder if people do not donate as much as they profess?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN