Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child neglect, or it could happen to any one of us moms?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
  • 58 Replies

You decide!

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/deputies-mom-arrested-after-2-year-old-found-crawl/nSZbs/?hpt=ju_bn4

Mom arrested after 2-year-old found crawling on roof

Erica Hess
Erica Hess

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. -

The Department of Children and Families said it's investigating a Volusia County mother whose 2-year-old daughter was found crawling on the roof of a home.

Erica Hess posted bail and was released from jail Thursday morning. She was arrested on child neglect charges.

Investigators said she was inside a home on Van Kleeck Drive in New Smyrna Beach Tuesday when her toddler climbed from a deck onto the roof.

A concerned neighbor called 911.

Authorities have not released information on who is taking care of the child.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I dunno gals...when my boy was two, he could skeedaddle up to high places in a split second, but this...I don't think he could have gotten his fanny up on a roof without me noticing.

What say you?

The_Doodle
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

If the child wasn't being watched long enough for her to actually get on the roof and give someone enough time to call the cops, then whoever was watching her was doing a pretty shitty job of it.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
8 moms liked this

Let me just say that I feel for this mom. I remember the first time I found my daughter in the kitchen about to mount  the bar. She pulled the drawers out to make steps to get up onto the counter. Then there was the time we were outside while we had a man our rooof inspecting our chimney and my daughter was two rungs from the roof before I realized it.

eeeek It's scary, but shit happens!

juju40
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

toddlers do the strangest things...

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

They can be surprisingly quick..... could happen to anyone. No one realises that their kid can unlock the door, open the child proof gate etc until they actually do. 

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I have an almost 2 year old. He's never unsupervised long enough to crawl onto a roof, worry a neighbor and allow the police time to show up. That was neglect.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Without more info, I can't decide.

My son started a habit of waking up before his father and I as a toddler. He once managed to climb onto the kitchen counter, get into the cupboard, retrieve a bottle of Flintstones vitamins, remove the "child-proof" cap, and proceed to eat several before I found him. I wasn't negligent. How the hell could I know he was capable of all of this?

Kids can be sneaky.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids were climbers as soon as they started walking! If he climbed from the deck to the roof then it could be as simple as sliding through the bars surrounding the deck and simply stepping over to the roof. Had she ran inside to grab a cordless phone that was ringing and stepped right back outside, but the neighbor was already calling the cops? Or was the child there alone until the cops got there? I've known kids to be a block down the street before mom changed a tampon...

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Kids can be quick, there is just not enough information  to make a decision. But it seems to me that quite a bit of time passed before any one realized it and that is where I would have a problem

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Yup my 3 yr old did that too me once too except that we at the time lived in the city and he wanted his cookies he left in the car the night before.  He got my keys took his 23mo old brother w/him.  Went to my car parked ON THE street.  Got the keys stuck in the lock and then couldn't reach the door knob to get back in the house.  

Thank heavens my neighbor spotted them.  Gave them a stern talking too and got them back in the house.  They could have been kidnapped, hit by a car, had the police called on me and me arrested or a miriad of other scenarios.

Quoting radioheid:

Without more info, I can't decide.

My son started a habit of waking up before his father and I as a toddler. He once managed to climb onto the kitchen counter, get into the cupboard, retrieve a bottle of Flintstones vitamins, remove the "child-proof" cap, and proceed to eat several before I found him. I wasn't negligent. How the hell could I know he was capable of all of this?

Kids can be sneaky.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured