Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child neglect, or it could happen to any one of us moms?

Posted by   + Show Post

You decide!

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/deputies-mom-arrested-after-2-year-old-found-crawl/nSZbs/?hpt=ju_bn4

Mom arrested after 2-year-old found crawling on roof

Erica Hess
Erica Hess

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. -

The Department of Children and Families said it's investigating a Volusia County mother whose 2-year-old daughter was found crawling on the roof of a home.

Erica Hess posted bail and was released from jail Thursday morning. She was arrested on child neglect charges.

Investigators said she was inside a home on Van Kleeck Drive in New Smyrna Beach Tuesday when her toddler climbed from a deck onto the roof.

A concerned neighbor called 911.

Authorities have not released information on who is taking care of the child.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Replies (51-58):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Waiting for more proof of neglect.  One incident could very well be a freak incident. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

No, something like this would not happen with my children.  Or would not have, rather.  

fmchavez
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

When I was two my parents were at a confrence. Another little boy (about 18mo) and I were playing quietly as they were all talking and then I decided I wanted a soda. I took the little boy with me and we walked across the skywalk and tried to get soda out of the vending machine in the other building. My parents weren't neglecting me. They were distracted yes, but they weren't neglecting me. We were only gone 2 minutes before they realized. 

Toddlers are fast.  

Mamapanda1030
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM

A two year old climbing on a roof?!

One, I'd be freaking out. Police probably followed through with the arrest because of more than just that, like her not showing much concern, or just giving a meek apology.

Two, I would never, never, NEVER leave a two-year old unattended outside, no matter how smart they were or how much they "knew better". Too much risk with the psychos out in this world today.

gcecelie
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Uhm, that is totally something my brothers would do. And my Mom would be so exhausted from running a home day care - cuz once the kids left at 6pm you have to clean up still after 13 children - that I could see her being so spaced out that my brothers were tap dancing on the chimney top.

I feel bad for her. Some people need to just help by giving an extra hand and finding out what is going on instead of calling CPS.

gcecelie
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM

You know the lady in the story personally? Can the original poster leave that as a edit or something. These details are important.

Quoting Majic_Shark:

You can see my post about this mom, I know her.

She had been partying for days and was passed out in a drug coma from Roxycodone & crack.

The neighbors tried to wake her up for almost an hour & tried to get the baby down.

pregnancy calendar

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I had one of my children wander outside while I was moving into a house.  The kitchen had a sliding door and I had closed it and left the 2 yr old to sleep in the lr while I unpacked the kichen.  A neighbor brought her to me.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Why?

Quoting gcecelie:

You know the lady in the story personally? Can the original poster leave that as a edit or something. These details are important.

Quoting Majic_Shark:

You can see my post about this mom, I know her.

She had been partying for days and was passed out in a drug coma from Roxycodone & crack.

The neighbors tried to wake her up for almost an hour & tried to get the baby down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured