Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ABC's News Version of a Proper Debate Moderator....by Powerline

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM
  • 128 Replies

How is it fair that an ABC appointed Martha Raddatz as the Mod. tonight.  Obama has attended her wedding.  Her ex-husband was an Obama Admin. appointee.  In another debate once she had ask questions for the Rep. Candidate, where those questions didn't have anything to do with the debate.  Even the Women's League of Voting criticized her for those questions.  Here's the link to the article.  Just look for the Title of the article.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2012/abc-news-idea-of-an-impartial-debate-moderator

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Please correct me if I am mistaken but didn't you just throw a fit in the other thread about biased blogs as sources?

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You know if you or others want to debate this way, then you go at it.  But, this has nothing to do with another thread.  This is a 'new' thread, & you debate it or not.  I honestly don't care.  I put this up for a mature adult debate.  For those that just want to be childish, then go ahead.  But, I won't take you seriously.  I will ignore posts made for those that just want to act like children. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Please correct me if I am mistaken but didn't you just throw a fit in the other thread about biased blogs as sources?

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM
7 moms liked this

I merely asked if it was true or not. What is there to debate if it's a lie? If you are going to complain in my threads about my sources well you can expect the same from others in return. It falls back to what I kindly said in my post. Be the change you wish to see. 

Quoting Naturewoman4:

You know if you or others want to debate this way, then you go at it.  But, this has nothing to do with another thread.  This is a 'new' thread, & you debate it or not.  I honestly don't care.  I put this up for a mature adult debate.  For those that just want to be childish, then go ahead.  But, I won't take you seriously.  I will ignore posts made for those that just want to act like children. 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
It is my understandim the BOTH parties in the debate must agree on the moderator. Is that not correct?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Good question. You would think so.

Quoting rfurlongg:

It is my understandim the BOTH parties I'm the debate must agree on the moderator. Is that not correct?

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

You know you are right on that, I'm just wondering why the Conservatives would go along with this?  That's all.  Also, if anyone here knows how the selection process works.  I mean, do they have Conservative Mods?

Quoting rfurlongg:

It is my understandim the BOTH parties I'm the debate must agree on the moderator. Is that not correct?

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

VP debate moderator hosted Obama at '91 wedding, candidates say no worries

• Martha Raddatz.jpg
    AP

Vice presidential debate moderator Martha Raddatz and her former husband hosted President Obama at their wedding more than 20 years ago, ABC News confirmed Wednesday. 

The network, in confirming the fact, also fired back at a report by the Daily Caller which first raised the issue of Raddatz' connection to the president in advance of the lone VP debate on Thursday. 

The network's statement came as both presidential campaigns said they had no concerns over Raddatz's role as moderator of the critical debate.  

"This is nothing but a shameful attempt to smear a well-respected and courageous reporter who is admired by generals, journalists and millions of Americans who count on Martha Raddatz to tell it like it is," an ABC News spokeswoman said in a statement to FoxNews.com. "She has traveled dozens of times to Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan and reports with neither fear nor favor."  

"This reckless and pitiful attempt to attack Martha in the lead-up to the VP debate is nothing more than a desperate play for web traffic and attention when what the American public wants is a thoughtful and probing debate on the great issues of the day," the statement said.  

The Daily Caller, though, accused ABC News of trying to "downplay" the story. The story also highlighted the relationship between Obama and Raddatz' now ex-husband. 

Obama was a student at Harvard Law School when he attended Raddatz's 1991 wedding to Julius Genachowski, whom Obama would later call upon to head the Federal Communications Commission. Obama and Genachowski were classmates, and Obama was a guest at his wedding "along with nearly the entire Law Review," ABC News said. Raddatz and Genachowski divorced in 1997. 

The Commission on Presidential Debates was aware of the fact when considering Raddatz as a moderator, a representative from the network told FoxNews.com. The spokeswoman also pointed out that Bradford Berenson, who served as Associate White House Counsel under President George W. Bush, was also at the wedding.

"Martha Raddatz is known for her tough, fair reporting, which is why it was no surprise to her colleagues inside and outside ABC News that she was chosen by the Commission on Presidential Debates for this assignment," the spokeswoman said. 

Peter Eyre, an adviser to the non-partisan debate commission, told USA Today that the organization doesn't care that Obama was a guest at Raddatz's 1991 wedding.

"We selected Martha Raddatz because she is a terrific journalist and will be a terrific moderator and we're thrilled to have her. The notion that that somehow affects her ability is not something we have given a moment's thought to," Eyre told the newspaper.

The vice presidential debate in Danville, Ky., Thursday will be the only one between Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan and Vice President Joe Biden. Political observers say the pressure is on Biden to deliver a powerful punch, following last week's presidential debate between Obama and Mitt Romney where Romney delivered a strong performance.

Asked Wednesday what he thinks Biden's biggest weakness will be at the debate, Ryan said: "Barack Obama's record." 

The Daily Caller's report on Raddatz is not the first time a debate moderator has come under scrutiny. Gwen Ifill, of PBS, who hosted the 2008 vice presidential debate, came under fire when it was announced she was penning a pro-Obama book to be published after the election. 

Such ties between the political and media worlds are hardly uncommon. White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was Time magazine's Washington bureau chief prior to his post with the Obama administration. Veteran ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer worked for President Richard Nixon and NBC's Chuck Todd worked on the 1992 presidential campaign of Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa.  

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/10/abc-news-pushes-back-on-report-that-vp-debate-moderator-hosted-obama-at-11/#ixzz28rfwSw8g
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I am sure there are conservative moderators. Just because someone leans one way or the other, or has friends in party or the other does not mean they cannot be objective. I suspect a pool of moderators was presented and jointly they chose her.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

You know you are right on that, I'm just wondering why the Conservatives would go along with this?  That's all.  Also, if anyone here knows how the selection process works.  I mean, do they have Conservative Mods?

Quoting rfurlongg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

ABC News defends Martha Raddatz

The Daily Caller published a story saying Obama was a guest at Raddatz's 1991 wedding to Julius Genachowski. At the time, Obama and Genachowski were students at Harvard law school.

The Daily Caller was founded by Tucker Carlson, a conservative pundit, and Neil Patel, a former aide to Dick Cheney.

"This is absurd. Martha Raddatz is known for her tough, fair reporting, which is why it was no surprise to her colleagues inside and outside ABC News that she was chosen by the Commission on President Debates for this assignment," reads the ABC statement.

Raddatz and Genachowski were divorced in 1997 and are now married to other spouses.The ABC statement was first reported by Politico and The Huffington Post.

Vice President Biden and Rep. Paul Ryan will face off in their only debate Thursday at Centre College in Danville, Ky.

Peter Eyre, an adviser to the non-partisan debate commission, said the organization doesn't care that Obama attended Raddatz's wedding more than 20 years ago.

"We selected Martha Raddatz because she is a terrific journalist and will be a terrific moderator and we're thrilled to have her. The notion that that somehow affects her ability is not something we have given a moment's thought to," Eyre told USA TODAY.

(Contributing: Martha T. Moore)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpolitics/2012/10/10/martha-raddatz-vice-president-debate-obama-wedding/1624337/

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks Kissy

Quoting _Kissy_:

VP debate moderator hosted Obama at '91 wedding, candidates say no worries

• Martha Raddatz.jpg
    AP

Vice presidential debate moderator Martha Raddatz and her former husband hosted President Obama at their wedding more than 20 years ago, ABC News confirmed Wednesday. 

The network, in confirming the fact, also fired back at a report by the Daily Caller which first raised the issue of Raddatz' connection to the president in advance of the lone VP debate on Thursday. 

The network's statement came as both presidential campaigns said they had no concerns over Raddatz's role as moderator of the critical debate.  

"This is nothing but a shameful attempt to smear a well-respected and courageous reporter who is admired by generals, journalists and millions of Americans who count on Martha Raddatz to tell it like it is," an ABC News spokeswoman said in a statement to FoxNews.com. "She has traveled dozens of times to Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan and reports with neither fear nor favor."  

"This reckless and pitiful attempt to attack Martha in the lead-up to the VP debate is nothing more than a desperate play for web traffic and attention when what the American public wants is a thoughtful and probing debate on the great issues of the day," the statement said.  

The Daily Caller, though, accused ABC News of trying to "downplay" the story. The story also highlighted the relationship between Obama and Raddatz' now ex-husband. 

Obama was a student at Harvard Law School when he attended Raddatz's 1991 wedding to Julius Genachowski, whom Obama would later call upon to head the Federal Communications Commission. Obama and Genachowski were classmates, and Obama was a guest at his wedding "along with nearly the entire Law Review," ABC News said. Raddatz and Genachowski divorced in 1997. 

The Commission on Presidential Debates was aware of the fact when considering Raddatz as a moderator, a representative from the network told FoxNews.com. The spokeswoman also pointed out that Bradford Berenson, who served as Associate White House Counsel under President George W. Bush, was also at the wedding.

"Martha Raddatz is known for her tough, fair reporting, which is why it was no surprise to her colleagues inside and outside ABC News that she was chosen by the Commission on Presidential Debates for this assignment," the spokeswoman said. 

Peter Eyre, an adviser to the non-partisan debate commission, told USA Today that the organization doesn't care that Obama was a guest at Raddatz's 1991 wedding.

"We selected Martha Raddatz because she is a terrific journalist and will be a terrific moderator and we're thrilled to have her. The notion that that somehow affects her ability is not something we have given a moment's thought to," Eyre told the newspaper.

The vice presidential debate in Danville, Ky., Thursday will be the only one between Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan and Vice President Joe Biden. Political observers say the pressure is on Biden to deliver a powerful punch, following last week's presidential debate between Obama and Mitt Romney where Romney delivered a strong performance.

Asked Wednesday what he thinks Biden's biggest weakness will be at the debate, Ryan said: "Barack Obama's record." 

The Daily Caller's report on Raddatz is not the first time a debate moderator has come under scrutiny. Gwen Ifill, of PBS, who hosted the 2008 vice presidential debate, came under fire when it was announced she was penning a pro-Obama book to be published after the election. 

Such ties between the political and media worlds are hardly uncommon. White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was Time magazine's Washington bureau chief prior to his post with the Obama administration. Veteran ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer worked for President Richard Nixon and NBC's Chuck Todd worked on the 1992 presidential campaign of Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa.  

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/10/abc-news-pushes-back-on-report-that-vp-debate-moderator-hosted-obama-at-11/#ixzz28rfwSw8g

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)