Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Calling a man to whom you are not married your "husband" or "dh." WHY?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM
  • 129 Replies
3 moms liked this

It can be very confusing when women refer to their boyfriends as their husbands in some discussions.  There is a big difference between a boyfriend and a husband.

Why not get married if you want him to be your husband?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:17 AM

b     u     m     p

AMBG825
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I never referred to DH as "husband" before we got married. It was usually "the worse half". We dated 11 years before getting married. Many people assumed we were married even though we weren't. However for as long as we were together prior to marriage if common laws were still in place we would have been
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TB78
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I would think that if they were together for at least ten years or more its probably easier to just say that the woman's bf is her husband to avoid all of the embarrassing questions or looks that strangers might do or say to them. Plus they probably can't afford to get married and are engaged.

Maybe in some states after they have been together for about 10+ years living together the state sees them as a married couple. I do not know it is just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kat31
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I don't. He's my boyfriend. That reminds me of 15 year olds that refer to each other as hubby and wifey. The only husband I have is an ex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never understood why women do that. When I was dating my now ex-husband he was my boyfriend, fiance and husband. I always referred to him by what he was, there was no reason to lie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Often time others would call us husband and wife before we offically got married ..we have lived together for years and been together for the same amount of time. It just became habbit really. It also doesnt bug me when others do the same its what works for them

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM
10 moms liked this
I do not really care. Women can call their partners whatever they prefer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indymom72
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM
7 moms liked this

lol..usually they are the people that say "marriage is just a piece of paper"..cracks me up every time!

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree. If it's not important enough to get married, why claim the title?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree, you will get the well we are committed and we are a team speech from these ladies. The truth is they are merely trying to bolster their position by calling their bf  their dh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN