Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Vice President Biden Laughing

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM
  • 146 Replies
4 moms liked this

Although I do think the VP debate was very close to a draw, much of that is Biden's demeanor, which IMO really damaged his credibility.  The GOP wasted no time highlighting it:

Now of course Biden was doing his "that's malarky stuff" laugh as a way to laugh off Ryan, but I found it grating and unbecoming after the first time.  The thought that comes to me is, "This is a seasoned, mature politician with much more years under his belt, this is the Vice President.  Is this really how he presents himself after all that?"  While Ryan was articulate, he lacked gravitas and a bold manner, yet that is something he can grow into as a VP. 

If Biden had reflected the respect due to his office, he would have won, IMO.  Yet his manner, something we have little to no reason to expect him to change, was found wanting.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM
5 moms liked this
I found Biden disrespectful. I found Ryan not forceful enough. I don't think this debate will make a difference to voters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I agree with you 100%!

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I though Biden was condescending and I thought Ryan was arrogant. However, I thought it was a much more interesting debate with more substance than the presidential one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Quoting romalove:

I found Biden disrespectful. I found Ryan not forceful enough. I don't think this debate will make a difference to voters.

I do think the debate showcased an unattractive and cemented personality trait of Biden's. 

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:11 AM
3 moms liked this

I think his smirking and smiling at inappropiate times was unbecoming and appears to have done more harm than good.  Of course the Obama devotees loved it, but the undecideds apparently, mostly did not.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I don't think he was arrogant, but they did trade tiny stupid insults. Ryan needs more confidence in his form of address. IMO.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I though Biden was condescending and I thought Ryan was arrogant. However, I thought it was a much more interesting debate with more substance than the presidential one.

sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I have been looking at articles about the debate on various sources. When I scroll down to look at the comments, the overwhelmingly majority point out how Biden's behavior was disrespectful, clownish and embarrassing.

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this

You know it is kind of telling that so many on the left used to talk about how they hated the smirk on President Bush's face, but seem to find it okay on Obama and Biden.  Bush barely had a smirk and Obama almost always has one.

Quoting Carpy:

I think his smirking and smiling at inappropiate times was unbecoming and appears to have done more harm than good.  Of course the Obama devotees loved it, but the undecideds apparently, mostly did not.

weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry how is anyone surprised at Joe Biden's demeanor? He's nuts, always has been.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM
5 moms liked this

I fell asleep about 15 minutes into it, so that should tell you how exciting I found either of them.

Honestly, Biden is just being Biden. He's crass and abrasive, and he is the first to admit to it. But the man does know his stuff. He can pull numbers out of his head in an instant and he isn't afraid to call someone out if he thinks they are telling a tall tale. Ryan needed to be more forceful, IMO. And he needed to answer at least one question without deflecting.

What I found to be most annoying was the constant use of the word "look" to start sentences. Both Ryan and Biden did it, and it grated on my last nerve. It was like their version of saying "um" every 10 seconds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN