Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Although I do think the VP debate was very close to a draw, much of that is Biden's demeanor, which IMO really damaged his credibility.  The GOP wasted no time highlighting it:

Now of course Biden was doing his "that's malarky stuff" laugh as a way to laugh off Ryan, but I found it grating and unbecoming after the first time.  The thought that comes to me is, "This is a seasoned, mature politician with much more years under his belt, this is the Vice President.  Is this really how he presents himself after all that?"  While Ryan was articulate, he lacked gravitas and a bold manner, yet that is something he can grow into as a VP. 

If Biden had reflected the respect due to his office, he would have won, IMO.  Yet his manner, something we have little to no reason to expect him to change, was found wanting.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Replies (141-146):
viv212
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I'm talking about Roe v Wade.

Did you watch the debate?? This is so important to me. So yeah I watched the debate. If you didn't hear that part or read the commentaries after, it's going to be a big deal to voters.

There are no troops in Iran? Then why were they speaking about it?

And you're asking if I watched the debate?

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting viv212:

I sure did. Who was the last president that appointed chief justices specifically for a certain agenda?

What are you talking about?

Who was up there disagreeing with the stimulus plan and then admitted they asked for stimulus money to help the companies they wanted?

Ryan said the stimulus did not deliver promised results, and he is absolutely right.  Biden deflected by bringing up the fact that Ryan requested funds for his state, which he had every right to do.

Who was saying they don't want war but admitted they want more troops to stay in Iran?

There are not troops in Iran.

Who got caught with that 47% comment and couldn't explain it?

So you are bringing up something that was not in the debate in order to show you watched it???

Whose answer was it when Biden said that Romney wanted to let GM go bankrupt and the person replied, "Romney is a car guy!" Yeah. Smooth.

Yes, Ryan should have defended Romney better, because now GM could have already been through a traditional bankruptcy, be back in business, and be in control of their own assets.  Right now they want to buy back the stock owned by the US but the Obama admin won't allow it.

I was actually somewhat impressed with Ryan, but no one can defend Romney and all his flip flops eloquently.

Ryan made many good points.  His weakness was by looking less confident, but for the most part he gave a strong argument, and plenty of detail.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Good grief, of course Ryan gave details for reforms.  Did you even watch the debate???

Quoting viv212:

Ryan's plan is still questionable since no details are given. His plan is for us to trust him and that they will work with congress. At no time during the debate could he give specifics because most likely, they don't have any. They are more interested in overturning Roe v Wade.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Quoting viv212:

Did you watch the debate?? This is so important to me. So yeah I watched the debate. If you didn't hear that part or read the commentaries after, it's going to be a big deal to voters.

I sat and watched all of it.  Ryan pointed out that he is pro-life, not just because of religion, but because of reason and science.  In any case, the POTUS cannot overturn Roe v Wade.  That can only be done by the Supreme Court. So while Ryan gave his views on pro-life, neither he nor Romney could overturn Roe V Wade.  Look at Romney's website, and he says that if the time comes, he would appoint Supreme court justices who follow the Constitution.

There are no US troops deployed to Iran. 

Nobody said they were planning to put troops in Iran.  Ryan very clearly stated the criteria for deployment of US troops anywhere, which is only to protect American security. 

He said that in cases of humane causes, like in Syria, for example, we could help people by giving them resources, but actually putting troops on the ground should only be done for reasons of national security.  I was very glad he was so clear.  People needed to hear a clear criteria.

It sounds like you misunderstood some significant things.  We have no troops in Iran.  That would be a HUGE deal if we did, it would mean war, and neither Biden or Ryan suggested sending ANY troops to Iran, much less more troops.

viv212
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM
To be honest I'm kinda done with this. The Row v Wade us an important issue that will sway many voters. The next president will be allowed to pick about 2 chief justices. The R ticket clearly said they want to overturn the ruling. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to see that they will pick chief justices to fit their agenda. I put up a post about it.

Ryan got caught contradicting himself and even the moderator called him on it. It was no clear win for Ryan. Any person that watches debates can see that.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting viv212:

I sat and watched all of it.  Ryan pointed out that he is pro-life, not just because of religion, but because of reason and science.  In any case, the POTUS cannot overturn Roe v Wade.  That can only be done by the Supreme Court. So while Ryan gave his views on pro-life, neither he nor Romney could overturn Roe V Wade.  Look at Romney's website, and he says that if the time comes, he would appoint Supreme court justices who follow the Constitution.

Nobody said they were planning to put troops in Iran.  Ryan very clearly stated the criteria for deployment of US troops anywhere, which is only to protect American security. 

He said that in cases of humane causes, like in Syria, for example, we could help people by giving them resources, but actually putting troops on the ground should only be done for reasons of national security.  I was very glad he was so clear.  People needed to hear a clear criteria.

It sounds like you misunderstood some significant things.  We have no troops in Iran.  That would be a HUGE deal if we did, it would mean war, and neither Biden or Ryan suggested sending ANY troops to Iran, much less more troops.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM

It was no "clear win" for Biden.  Biden's demeanor hurt, and his non-truthfulness hurt him, too. 

Quoting viv212:

To be honest I'm kinda done with this. The Row v Wade us an important issue that will sway many voters. The next president will be allowed to pick about 2 chief justices. The R ticket clearly said they want to overturn the ruling. It doesn't take a lot of common sense to see that they will pick chief justices to fit their agenda. I put up a post about it.

Ryan got caught contradicting himself and even the moderator called him on it. It was no clear win for Ryan. Any person that watches debates can see that.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting viv212:

viv212
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Unfortunately you're in the minority.

Quoting Meadowchik:

It was no "clear win" for Biden.  Biden's demeanor hurt, and his non-truthfulness hurt him, too. 

Quoting viv212:

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting viv212:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sstripedmonkey
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM
I like Biden, Ryan talked a lot and didn't really make any sense with the words he was using.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN