Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In Oklahoma, a School District Is Debating Bible Distribution to Children

Posted by   + Show Post

In Oklahoma, a School District Is Debating Bible Distribution to Children

October 12, 2012 By

When it comes to the distribution of religious books in public schools, the laws are very simple: If you allow the holy books of one faith to be handed out in school, you must allow the holy books of all faiths. You're better off, though, not handing out anything like that at all.

Gideons International - the group best known for their hotel room Bibles - has a long history of handing out Bibles to children in elementary school and they recently tried to get their books into the Grove Public Schools in northeastern Oklahoma. (Because I guess there are no churches in the state...?)

The school board, knowing a lawsuit would come their way if they allowed it, said no.

Earlier this week, though, more than 100 residents spoke out at a school board meeting urging the officials to reconsider their decision:

The Rev. Tony Wisdom and lawyer Robert Plunk urged the five-member school board to rethink the ban, which was approved this year after complaints and threats of a lawsuit from parents.

Plunk told the board that the Rotary Club gives dictionaries to third-graders and that Bibles can be offered as long as it is done in the same manner.

The board did not address the policy during the meeting and took no action.

Wisdom, who spoke to thunderous applause, said students should be given access to the greatest book ever written.

The minority should not override the majority, he said, adding that other religions also should have the right to give out materials.

Did they seriously just compare the Bible to a dictionary? That's crazy talk. One's full of wisdom and is an essential component of a good education... and the other's the Bible.

And what's with this minority/majority argument? The majority doesn't get to overturn the constitution on a whim.

At least the school leadership is opposed to bringing divisive religion into the district, right?

Of course not:

"There were people that wanted us to lose our jobs for allowing the Gideons to pass out Bibles last year," Superintendent Sandy Coaly said Wednesday.

"We were told if we allowed them to be passed out the school would be sued," Coaly said. "If it was me personally, we would have them (Bibles) in our backpack and read them 30 minutes a day."

30 minutes a day?! I guess if you cut out science class, you could always throw in Bible-readin'-time...

But here's what we'll do. If the school district allows these Bibles to be distributed in the schools, I vow to raise money on this site to purchase books about atheism and have them sent to every school in the district. I'll throw in some Korans while I'm at it.

Rev. Wisdom even said "other religions... should have the right to give out materials" so let's call his bluff.

Or we can just let the Freedom From Religion Foundation know. The fear of the impending lawsuit will scare the district back into submission.

(Thanks to Beau for the link)

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (181-190):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

So you're cool with the school sponsoring giving each child Harry Potter books and The Origin of Species. Or hey, since there is choice then you shouldn't have ANY problem with a playboy handout.

Good to know.

Public school has no business endorsing any religion and that has been made abundantly clear. Don't like it? Move to a theocracy.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Where are you getting students will be FORCED to take a bible, or FORCING them to pray to Jesus?

Quoting AMBG825:

A person in authority over your child telling them to take something is no different than forcing them to do something. A person who has authority over your child telling them to take a Satanic Bible or to pray to Satan is forcing them. Whether you see it that way or not is irrelevant. If you want your child to have a religious text, get it to them in a manner that doesn't give them the impression that they have to or else.

And you do know what the bible says about bearing false witness right?

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I never got the impression there was no choice. And I still wouldn't have a problem with these books being given no matter how many keep saying I would. I don't forbid any book my children are able to understand.

Quoting AMBG825:

Attending another religious event by choice is not the same nor was that the scenario provided in the discussion. Would you be ok with someone FORCING your child or giving them the impression that there is no choice? If your child's teacher.... an authority figure said "take this" you would be okay? If they told your child to bow his head and pray to Satan you would be okay?

I highly doubt it.

AMBG825
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:52 PM

It's called a captive audience. They don't have the opportunity to say no and leave. Your child just can't up and leave school. It's like your boss walking up to you and saying "you're having dinner with me tonight." He's not really telling you that you'll be fired if you don't, but you would certainly get the impression that it would be in the balance if you say no. If you don't have the opportunity or the impression is given that it is not a choice as in a child feelign that their grades may be dependent upon pleasing the teacher, then it is not a choice and ergo it is being forced ....a form of coercion.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Where are you getting students will be FORCED to take a bible, or FORCING them to pray to Jesus?

Quoting AMBG825:

A person in authority over your child telling them to take something is no different than forcing them to do something. A person who has authority over your child telling them to take a Satanic Bible or to pray to Satan is forcing them. Whether you see it that way or not is irrelevant. If you want your child to have a religious text, get it to them in a manner that doesn't give them the impression that they have to or else.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I never got the impression there was no choice. And I still wouldn't have a problem with these books being given no matter how many keep saying I would. I don't forbid any book my children are able to understand.

Quoting AMBG825:

Attending another religious event by choice is not the same nor was that the scenario provided in the discussion. Would you be ok with someone FORCING your child or giving them the impression that there is no choice? If your child's teacher.... an authority figure said "take this" you would be okay? If they told your child to bow his head and pray to Satan you would be okay?

I highly doubt it.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Giving a child a book does not force any belief.   But you are so blinded by your dislike for Christianity that you can't understand that not all Christians would care if their child received a religious text of a non-Christian religion.

My children have attended events for their friends that are different religions.   Letting your children see the world and its differences gives them either a firmer belief in what they know or helps them to find the path that is right for them at that time.

I am simply not going to care if someone gives my child a Torah.

One of my issues is with what happens to the kids who decline. My oldest was seriously tormented and bullied in 6th grade because we aren't Christian. Handing out such materials can subject the kids who choose not to accept them to a lot of grief.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
You are not this niave, STOP acting like it. Some CHRISTIANS have been trying to prevent schools from even having even a single copy of Harry Potter in their libearies, for Bob's sake and you want to deliberately LIE and pretend Christian parents in gwneral would be okay with allowing, say, the Satanic Bible to be HANDED OUT??? Are you serious? ou can not be that deluded. Yes, in a utopian society, we would all be allowed to share our religious materials equally BUT we are not at that point and you know perfectly well that Satanic Bibles would NOT be allowed to be handed out, nor would the Torah, the Qu'ran, or literature on Wicca or other Pagan religions.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting AMBG825:

I highly doubt it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Quoting morrigan914:

Would you he equally okay with me donating 'Practical Satanism' to your childrens school for the teachers to hand out?
Quoting yourspecialkid:

I don't have a problem with it.  The school is not giving them out...no public dollars have been spent on them....and here's the kicker....handing out a Bible does not establish a CHURCH..which is what the first amendment is ACTUALLY about.

Is it going to cause the school to establish a church the kids are required to go to?  If not...the answer is send away...your first amendment rights are just as valid as mine.

I believe we should be teaching a religion class in at least the high school level...kids need to have a basic knowledge and a basic respect for the legitimate faiths in the world. 

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting Arroree:

I don't allow my children to watch movies with sex, rape and mass murder so why would i let them read a bible when it's full of those things??

Thank you!

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM
What is so scary about the satanic bible?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I agree she is lying her ass off saying she would be hunkey dorey with her kids' school distributing the Satanic Bible.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Why do you think she is a liar?   If you are comfortable with your faith, you have nothing to fear from your child reading about others.

Quoting mikiemom:

yea, right lol I call liar liar liar pants on fire on that one.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Sure, why not?   

Quoting mikiemom:

Afraid - no innapropriate for school yes. If I want my child reading the bible, I will provide him with one. He is welcome to read the bible, the school is not welcome to push their agenda onto my child.

I find the utter lack of tolerance for other religions among american christians to be disgusting and apalling, would you be ok with your child being sent home with a quran, torra, satanic bible?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Just curious but why are so many afraid of students being allowed to receive a free bible? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting morrigan914:

Would you he equally okay with me donating 'Practical Satanism' to your childrens school for the teachers to hand out?
Quoting yourspecialkid:

I don't have a problem with it.  The school is not giving them out...no public dollars have been spent on them....and here's the kicker....handing out a Bible does not establish a CHURCH..which is what the first amendment is ACTUALLY about.

Is it going to cause the school to establish a church the kids are required to go to?  If not...the answer is send away...your first amendment rights are just as valid as mine.

I believe we should be teaching a religion class in at least the high school level...kids need to have a basic knowledge and a basic respect for the legitimate faiths in the world. 

lol do tell.  which faiths are 'legitimate'

le·git·i·mate/liˈjitəmit/

Adjective:
Conforming to the law or to rules: "his claims to legitimate authority".
Verb:

Justify or make lawful.

legitimate [adj., n. li-jit-uh-mit; v.li-jit-uh-meyt]  
Definition:authentic, valid, legal

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely not. Kids need to learn academics. Teach your kids whatever yiu want about religion. Leave mine alone.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting morrigan914:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM

OK there is now only one Legitimate Religion in the USA now and its Christianity?? Please tell me I misread that???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN